MN-700 wired - no connection to Internet

Last response: in Networking
Share
September 27, 2004 4:47:37 PM

I've seen this problem (or one similar) in several other
posts, but I haven't seen a solution. MY desktop stopped
connecting to the Internet through my MN-700, although
other computers on my network connect fine (wirelessly or
Ethernet.) Below is the message I sent to MS Support:

I am unable to connect to the Internet from my desktop,
which is wired through Ethernet to the Base Station. I
have had no trouble in the past and don't know of any
changes to the system that would have brought this on.
When I open MSBN software, it informs me I am connected
to my network but not to the Internet; my connection
option to Base Station Mangement is grayed out. Although
it says I'm connected to my network, I can access files
from other computers on the network. Two other computers
connected wirelessly can connect to the Internet fine,
and I have also tested them through Ethernet - no
problem. I have upgraded to the latest firmware. Here
are the other steps I've taken:

--Used different Ethernet cables (including ones which
work with other computers.)
--Tried all the Ethernet ports on the MN-700
--Double checked all settings.
--tried connecting through a PCI Ethernet card instead of
the onboard motherboard Ethernet. (MB = MSI 865PE Neo2-
LS.)
--Reset the MN-700.
--Reset the modem (a TJ-715X Terayon cable modem
connecting to Adelphia cable.)
--Run a virus check.
--Run an adware-spyware check and removed any found.

When I tried ugrading the MN-700 software on the desktop
with the problem I may have found a clue. The upgrade
stops the installation to inform me I have firewall
software set up. But I can't find any such software.
The Windows firewall is disabled. I have never activated
the Symantec firewall software. As I said above, I
removed any adware, then disabled the Spybot software.
In fact, I used Startup Cop to disable all other
software, trying a vanilla startup.

Can you suggest any solution? Are there any likely
culprits that might be acting as a firewall which I can't
find?

This problem first appeared when I was playing WMP 10 and
my system froze, requiring a reboot. Can this have any
bearing on the problem?

* * *

I just sent this, so I don't have a reply. Anyone else
have a suggestion?

Thanks!

ChrisB
September 27, 2004 7:51:23 PM

Answering my own query:

Somehow, Norton Internet Security was interfering. Even
though every module was disabled (and I had not opened
the program for some time), it was acting as a firewall
as far as MSBN and the MN-700 were concerned. As soon as
I uninstalled the program (even without rebooting), I was
back online.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I'll be sure
to check all my programs in the future.

ChrisB

September 27, 2004 11:22:50 PM

Ah yes once again you have to uninstall a firewall to disable it properly.

Not really that big of a surprise though.

!