Sign in with
Your question

Would this OS work for my homebuild?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 20, 2012 2:41:06 PM

Hey guys, apologies for the stupid question but im buying windows 7 on amazon, and it sates (This OEM software is intended for system builders only) Just to clarify, this would work with my homebuild, correct? or is it only intended for companies?
Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-software-inte...
Thanks a lot!

More about : work homebuild

December 20, 2012 2:43:02 PM

Yes, it will work. There is a slightly different EULA and you receive no support with it.
December 20, 2012 2:46:01 PM

Until recently, it was specifically disallowed to use System Builder licenses for personal systems. In reality, though, this is impossible to enforce and everyone did it. Microsoft changed the policy a couple months back, and now it's officially allowed to do this.

In short, you're fine.
Related resources
December 20, 2012 2:55:23 PM

Skippy27 said:
Yes, it will work. There is a slightly different EULA and you receive no support with it.

what exactly do you mean, what implications will it have on me?
December 20, 2012 3:09:35 PM

anyone? just to clarify before i order, everything will work fine, windows updates, everything?
December 20, 2012 3:26:51 PM

Yes everything will work fine, it the same type of windows that say HP, Dell etc use when building there workstations.
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2012 3:26:58 PM

you will be fine.
December 20, 2012 3:45:56 PM

When I built my system I just went out and bought a Windows 7 upgrade disc. I looked for a non-upgrade disc or purhase online but didn't find anything. When it came to validate the CD Key I just called Microsoft, told them what I thought happened, and they remoted into my system and validated it for me.

It worked, and I only felt slightly weirded out about Microsoft remoting into my system over the phone.
December 20, 2012 3:50:03 PM

The only difference between a regular copy and an OEM is that you get one install.

ONE!

Thats it. You ever need to reinstall the OS, your SOL.
December 20, 2012 10:18:23 PM

groundrat said:
The only difference between a regular copy and an OEM is that you get one install.

ONE!

Thats it. You ever need to reinstall the OS, your SOL.

What, so if i wanted to reinstall windows on my HDD, it wouldnt work? are you sure?
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2012 10:33:42 PM

witchell said:
What, so if i wanted to reinstall windows on my HDD, it wouldnt work? are you sure?

Hi :) 

An OEM will be able to be reinstalled on the ORIGINAL machine it was installed on ONLY... no other, it locks to the motherboard...

All the best Brett :) 
December 21, 2012 2:42:14 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

An OEM will be able to be reinstalled on the ORIGINAL machine it was installed on ONLY... no other, it locks to the motherboard...

All the best Brett :) 

Technically all versions of Windows do that. You just get more activations with the keys before Microsoft's activation server starts denying you.

You can actually get the OEM license moved to another motherboard if you call Microsoft and have a good reason. Having upgraded is not considered a good reason, and Microsoft would like you to buy a new copy of Windows as, by their definition, it is a new computer. If you call them up and tell them that your old motherboard died, however, they'll happily let you reactivate.
!