TECH: Monte Carlo

I am helping a freind with issues with his Monte Carlo-

It tends to reset during during the games- someone had told him about
replacing a cheap pot on a power board so we did that. it sends 5V to the
MPU. while playing, it will jump up to 7-8V and reset or die. If you unplug
the sound board, it will play fine, quietly though.

is the problem with the power supply or the sound board? expound-

Thanks!
--
joseph pond-
www.joepinball.com

Let's start with unplugging the sound board:

All that I see you have really accomplished is less load on the power
supply. Apparantly the sound board is working OK. No mention of raspy
sound or missing music.

The Voltage control pot:

Changing this is always a good idea. I change everyone that comes
through the shop with a nice military grade equivalent.

>From my experience this is what you have:

One: Flakey power supply pass transistor or connector issue. Bad
solder joints, ect.

Two: Ground issue. Visit the ground connectors at the transformer
panel in the bottom of the cabinet and work these on and off a few
times.

If the ground connection to the +5 is flakey and starts to show
resistance to the power supply, the voltage will rise when the board
resets, due to lack of current flow. No load to the +5 = higher
voltage.

I wrote an article a long time ago in Star Tech Journal about the
ground problems with these games. That has been superceeded by the
info in Clay's guides. You should read the system 80 guide from
Marvin's.

Good luck,

Mario
Pinthetic