Dell inspiron 1525 screen goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmcphrsn

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I have a Dell inspiron 1525 and it is flickering then goes black screen after alittle time or will go black on start up ---and appears by the lights still on that it is on- but the screen is black and when I try using an external monitor it works fine any solutions to this problem?????

rkilaru

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

I have a same problem. How did you solve your problem

Solution

shmcphrsn

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
How I changed the screen was by First
1. Prying the small rubber pieces off of the bezel (you'll only need to do the 4 in each corner)
2. Take out the 4 screws in the corners of the bezel then the 6 smallers screws around the side of the screen.
3. Release the cable in the back of the screen and the power connector at the bottom of the screen.
After doing this you'll be ready to put in the new screen.

Hope this helps...

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
In changing the screen on this laptop your comments are misleading. Will I be removing the entire center control panel or just the display bezel and wires connected from there?? If its jus the display bezel will I be damaging the laptop itself if I don't remove the center control panel and keyboard?? Melissa

See the instructions with pictures here :

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/display.htm#wp1179838

If you need a replacement inverter you'll need to purchase it separately as it's a different part number. You can replace it at the same time that you are replacing the screen since you already have the laptop apart.

Replacing the LCD Inverter fixes the following symptoms 17 out of 20 Times :
■Dim Screen
■Flickering Display
■Wavy Lines
■Blinking Panel
■Panel Buzzing
■Shades of Pink

If you can still make out an image on the laptop's LCD panel under a bright light then I would suspect the CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) backlight isn't working or is burned out. The inverter powers the CCFL backlight.

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you. I have already ordered the inverter board. Is it difficult to change the CCFL bulb...or if chaning the screen itself will accomplish this...melissa

Replacing the CCFL backlight requires more complex work and involves a soldering iron so it's only for those that are more skilled with this type of work.

A replacement screen will already have the CCFL backlight bulb installed into it.

Depending on the vendor you purchase the replacement screen from some will include the inverter along with the screen.

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
hi...its mea agin.. replaced the screen thinking it was the backlight...ordered a new inververter board...still no bright screen. read something about the computer thinking it was closed...something about a pin is possibly stuck...not sure where this pin is located...any suggestions on possible issues.

Try the following first :

- Remove the battery
- unplug the power brick cable from the laptop
- hold down the power button for 60 seconds
- plugged in the power brick only to the laptop
- turn on the laptop
- shut down the laptop
- reinsert the battery
- turn the laptop on

If the above procedures fail then look at the magnetic On/Off Switch that detects whether the lid is Closed/Open. The location of the magnet on the lid cover should give you an indication of the area where the magnetic switch would be located in the base of the laptop.

Try powering up the laptop with the lid flipped up at a 30 degree angle.

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
thank you for the quick reply... i have tried your steps and still nothing. I have no clue where to locate the magnetic on/off switch..i have taken the top display indicator on the keyboard off and don;t see any type of button that could possibly be this switch...any suggestions...10566

I don't know the exact location of the magnet on your laptop but here is an example of what you should look for :

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=3740

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
thank you...i don't remember seeing this...the display bezel is the lid...correct.... also..when researching this issue..would upgrading this laptop to windows 7 have anything to do it...

The display bezel is what you removed to replace the LCD panel.

The display does not require an operating system to be able to work. When you first power on the computer, assuming the display is working, you should still see something on the display even if it's plain text showing info such as memory amount or pressing a certain key combination to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. This is just the Power On Self Test (POST) phase before control is handed over to a drive containing a master boot record for the operating system.

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you for your quick response. I think I have exhausted every possible option. I have ran ever diagnostic possible. Updated every drive there is as well as windows 7 updates....and still no change. I did notice however that the new inverter board could be the problem....the item they sent me is shorter than the original and when installed ran very hot...so i removed it and put back the original..I have contacted the company and asked for suggestions. Upon running the diagnostics it came up with error code: 2000-0146...which dell suggested i remove the hard drive and put back in place...still no change. So I am not at no other options unless you can suggest other things to try. Thank you

Was the new inverter used with the new display panel or the original display panel?

Pressing <Fn> <F8> to switch the video image between the display only, the external device only, or the display and the external device simultaneously doesn't depend on the operating system.

Did you press <Fn> and the up-arrow key to increase brightness to maximum on the integrated display only (not on an external monitor)?

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I have tried everything ....i am currently waiting for the company that sent me the inverter board to respond to the possibility of sending me the wrong board. the new board is shorter than the original..and when attached runs very hot...so i hoping this is the case..they sent me the 14in vs the 15.4in. what about the hard drive error code...should i be prepared to replace it???

Status
Not open for further replies.