amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Is it worth getting an Athlon 64 FX-55, or should I just buy a cheaper Athlon 64 and wait for dual core processors? I'm trying to custom build a PC on about $2000 budget, but I don't know if I should get an FX-55 if they're going to be obsoluete in a few when dual cores come out.

It depends on what you will do with the system. Is this for gaming?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Only get Dualcore if you want to process multiple threads at the same time.

EX: Game and Compression or Game and Encoding

Some programs are in multithread, and you will see an increase there.

A faster single core will always be better (single thread) than and dual core can do in games.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

You're best price/performance right now will be with the FX55. If you're primarily gaming then don't waste your money on a dual core until games that you want/do play can take advantage of both cores.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
FX-55 for best price/perfomance ratio?? :eek:

Anything above 3800+ is total waste of money (4000+, FX-55)

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

His question was get a cheaper chip so he could buy the dual core later on.
Option A: Get cheaper chip now AND buy a dual core when it comes out.
Option B: Get an FX55 and keep it.
In the end he will spend a lot less money on option B and get superior performance.

In no way am I saying the FX55 has a great - or even good - price/performance ratio. Given the above options, the FX55 is the most economical option.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>is question was get a cheaper chip so he could buy the dual
>core later on.

That is only because he feared even the FX55 would become obsolete upon launch of Atlhon 64 X2's. Well, he can always toss that sort of obsolete CPU's this way :)

To the original poster: don't spend so much on any cpu. get a 3800+ or thereabouts, and spend more on your videocard. Your system will be good for many years to come. Buying highest end, never pays off.

And as others have said: dual core doesnt make any sense for games now, and probably not in the next year or two either. By that time, if it would become worthwhile, you could always replace your cpu with a dual core variant.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =