Good mechanical keyboard for gaming/some typing

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Keyboards
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 24, 2011 4:41:31 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a nice mechanical keyboard mostly for gaming, but also some word processing/writing/typing. I'm not sure what type of cherry switch I should look for (red, brown, black, etc.) for my needs or if it even matters that much. Also, backlighting would be nice, but I don't care about it that much. I was looking at the Corsair K60, which I really like the look of, but not really sure. Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : good mechanical keyboard gaming typing

December 24, 2011 5:14:29 AM

I recommend Leopold with cherry MX brown switches. I found the browns to be a really good feel for both gaming and typing. Also just so your aware, I don't believe the corsair K60 has 100% mechanical switches.

v
m
l
December 24, 2011 9:00:42 PM

skaz said:
I recommend Leopold with cherry MX brown switches. I found the browns to be a really good feel for both gaming and typing. Also just so your aware, I don't believe the corsair K60 has 100% mechanical switches.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/shinyfield/leopold%20keyboard/111.jpgv

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that one. And yes, I'm aware that the K60 isn't completely mechanical, but that doesn't really bother me, as it's just the F keys and Print Screen thru Page Down that are domes.

Also: Do you know if there's a store that sells mechanical keyboards so I could try some out? Because Best Buy, Staples, etc. only sell regular keyboards.

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2011 6:46:19 AM

Bestbuy in my area does carry the razer blackwidow and they might let you pop one out to try maybe. As for browns and other switches not sure where you could test them out.

Good source for info on different switches ---> http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-g...

Geekhack had some good opinions and info as well.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 27, 2011 12:26:03 PM

unicomp customizer...is by far the best mechanical keyboard available. its almost a direct copy of the original ibm model m buckling spring type mechanical keyboard. if you like your keyboards loud but with a crisp feedback and you want it to last for years then you may want to consider one.

at home i use an original ibm m thats over 15 years old.

another option that i heard was good are keyboards made by das.

i've heard the blackwidow has backlighting issues and the rubber coating WILL wear off. up to you but i wouldnt buy one myself.

--

i know of no place that carries anything but the razer boards.
m
l
!