Johnny Mnemonic VUK keeps activating when it shouldn't

Hi guys

Just picked up this machine and it seems that the hand moves throughout
game play(not constantly but every once in a while) and you can hear
the vuk under the hand popping away every 3-5 sceonds which is driving
me mad.I have yet to look guys but if there is nothing obvious like a
broken wire etc where should i look in the backbox.
Test report says switch F5 "ball in hand". As yet i dont have a manual.
I'm not very good at all with electronics so could do with all the help
i can get.I can solder and replace parts after being told which ones
:)
Any advice greatfully received.

Cheers

Simon

vuk popping constantly sounds like a bad opto. I had this issue on BSD
and Demo Man. I bascially resoldered a cracked solder joint to the
opto and it's working fine now.

L.

Adi

Hello, Do you know why is your VUK coil going on and on like there is
no tomorrow? The game thinks there is a ball int here, so VUL is trying
to get rid of it and resume normal play. Since you know there is no bal
there, what elase then? VUK only activates the coil when it senses the
ball. And it senses the ball with opto transmitter/receiver combo
switch usualy mounted facing each other on or close to the VUK. That is
your problem.

You have to check the VUK opto switch. That is more than likely your
problem. Not in the backbox, but underneath the playfield.

Go to switch edges test and confirm it works. Do you know how? Block
the beam between them and see if the switch registers in switch matrix.

If you have a digital camera with LCD display, you can see if it's
functional, you can see the beam.

IF NOT:

Could be a broken wire, go ahead and visually inspect.
Also, wipe the otps off with a q tip and alcohol, matbe they have
gotten dirty.

make sure they are not out of alignment - they have to be facing each
other dead on.

Receiver opto (the one with blue board) rarely fails, it's almost
always the transmitter (green board). In that case you will have to
replace it.

If you need more help, or if you solve the problem, post back in either
case. Best of luck.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

Thankyou very much Loui and Adi.I will check.I didn't know how to check
and you've made very good comments on how to check.

Once again,thankyou so much.

Kind regards
Simon

Well only had the chance to have a quick look.There was one wire which
didn't look to healthy and i cleaned the opto's but still not tested.I
think the vuk is still playing up so opto replacement imminent.Now
crazy bobs vuk has stopped.Just replaced the micro switch and still
nothing.
Someone please remind me that this is supposed to be fun :)

Simon

gilly wrote:

> Someone please remind me that this is supposed to be fun :)

It will be when you get it fixed - and you will, that problem doesn't
sound like something that you couldn't fix.

And by the way, you'll find the pdf manual from IPDB:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3683

--Jarkko