CeleronD 2.4 or 2.8 (for oc'n with stock HSF)

What would be better - a celeron 2.4D or a 2.8D for overclocking with stock cooling (and maybe some decent thermal paste or is the stock alright?). Would the 2.8D overclock further or would it reach the same speed as the 2.4D but have a lower FSB then the 2.4D at the same speed?

Do the prescott batches vary like northwood where the crap ones dont overclock as well as the good ones? EG would the celeron 2.4D reach 3.2+ ghz or would i have better luck with the 2.8 overclocking?

And how hot do these chips run anyhow?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I have a 2.4D OC to 3019MHz easily with default Vcore and heatsink. Temp 56'C max flat out gaming in ambient temp of 30'C.

MB is ASUS P4S800-MX, so I have plenty of room with FSB.

The 2.4D can be OC up to around 3700MHz with higher Vcore adjustment and better cooling.

I have not tried to OC higher as 3019 MHz is plenty of power for the gaming I do and why push it when there is no need.

In my opinion 3.2GHZ would be achieveable and I have heard of it being done without Vcore adjustment and heatsink modifications. Better thermal paste would be the idea - pad on stock heatsink is not the best available.

If I had a choice now, I would buy the 2.8D as with my system, higher OC would be possible.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

endyen

Splendid
You can oc the cleronD, but you will still end up with a celeron. Ask DCB what P4c he is equivalent to @ 3+ghz?
The s754 Sempron 3000+ is a few $ more, ocs very well, and you will actually see real perf gain.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a 2.8 that runs fine at 3.5 GHz. but honestly, I would buy the 2.4 in the hope that I could get the FSB up to 200 MHz. and run it at 3.6 GHz. with the memory running 1:1 with the FSB. With the higher multiplier, I only have the bus at 166.

I'm sure there is some variability in OC potential of these Celerons, just like before. Try to buy one from a retailer with a lot of turnover so you have the best chance of getting a later stepping - better chance for an easy overclock!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Forgot to add - this celeron im going to buy will be placed into my secondary maching and i already have the board from a previous upgrade based on an Intel 848pe chipset (the ASUS P4P800-S), the cpu will be stuck with stock cooling so what would be recomended - the 2.4D with a higher FSB at 3+ ghz or a 2.8 at 3.5+ ghz (possible?).

What do people refer to as "better cooling" anyhow - i dont want to fork out the $$$ for water cooling for a secondary machine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Aren't Celeron D's 533 bus? A Celeron D at 200MHz (800MHz data rate) bus would be clocked 3.6GHz. That would be very nice for the price!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It really would be a nice setup. My 2.8 ran out of gas over 3.5, but I had it on a cheap ECS board that didn't have any voltage adjustments. It would run at 3.5 all day under 100% load. Put a 2.4 on a dual channel Abit board and I bet the 3.6 would be easy! I've been thinking about trying it...

Actually, the other chip that interests me is the Prescott 2.66 chip which is also a 533 chip. Get the right stepping and you could put that on a 200 bus and have a 4 GHz. system. The only problem is that chip doesn't support Hyperthreading...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel has given us a much better heatsink/fan combo with these processors since they do run hotter. I've always used the stock setup and AC5 paste. I'm too cheap to buy a $40 heatsink for a $70 chip! Unless you're adding voltage to these chips, you should be fine. Tweak the CPU voltage up and they can get hot in a hurry.

The initial Prescott's really ran hot, but the newer steppings have cooled down some... Either that or Intel recalibrated the heat sensor to make 'em look cooler! These Celeron D's also run cooler than the full up P4's since the smaller cache means fewer transistors generating heat.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!