Does Inspiron 1100 accept 512Mb X 2 DDR RAM ?

Greetings,

just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots (128Mb X 2).
Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I know that the
second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure if the first
slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says something that the
first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that mean?

Thanks !!

Eugene

Gustavo Elban wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots (128Mb X 2).
> Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I know that the
> second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure if the first
> slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says something that the
> first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that mean?
>

> Thanks !!
This should help.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell
2BInspiron&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Inspiron+1100+Series&submit=Go

if you just bought that inspiron new, send it back now, the 1100 has some
major problems with heat.

You'll have to look to be sure, but usually that means
it's soldered in and is not user replaceable.
Dell's manual seems to confirm that.

"Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Gustavo Elban wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots
(128Mb X 2).
> > Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I
know that the
> > second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure
if the first
> > slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says
something that the
> > first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that
mean?

> > Thanks !!
> This should help.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell2BInspiron&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Inspiron+1100+Series&submit=Go

> if you just bought that inspiron new, send it back now, the
1100 has some
> major problems with heat.

One slot is user-accessible (bottom of machine). The other is under the
keyboard and requires more dissassembly to get to. That's the "pre
configured" slot.

Both modules are removeable - it just takes a bit more doing to remove the
one on top of the mainboard, under the keyboard.

"Gustavo Elban" <gustavo_elban@engineer.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots (128Mb X 2).
> Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I know that the
> second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure if the first
> slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says something that the
> first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that mean?
>

> Thanks !!

Big thanks !!

i was a bit confused because in Dell Manual, it does say that for memory
module, it is 2 user- accessible SODIMM socket but some where in its web
site, it says that the laptop will be delivered to you with 1 slot fixed
pre-configured in the factory. I did take a look at slot A (bottom of
machine), it seems we can take it out DIMM A but i have not tried it yet.

regards

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> One slot is user-accessible (bottom of machine). The other is under the
> keyboard and requires more dissassembly to get to. That's the "pre
> configured" slot.
>
> Both modules are removeable - it just takes a bit more doing to remove the
> one on top of the mainboard, under the keyboard.
>

> "Gustavo Elban" <gustavo_elban@engineer.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots (128Mb X
2).
> > Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I know that the
> > second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure if the
first
> > slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says something that the
> > first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that mean?
> >

> > Thanks !!

"Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Gustavo Elban wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots (128Mb X
2).
> > Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I know that the
> > second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure if the
first
> > slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says something that the
> > first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that mean?
> >

> > Thanks !!
> This should help.
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell
> 2BInspiron&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Inspiron+1100+Series&submit=Go
>
> if you just bought that inspiron new, send it back now, the 1100 has some
> major problems with heat.

i have used it sparingly, no problems so far. Is that the problem with fan ?

regards

Eugene

Gustavo Elban wrote:

> "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Gustavo Elban wrote:
>>
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > just got new Inspiron 1100 laptop with 256 Mb RAM in 2 slots (128Mb X
> 2).
>> > Planning to upgrade it to 1 Gb RAM (266 MHz DDR Sodim). I know that the
>> > second DIM slot B can accept upgrading RAM but i am not sure if the
> first
>> > slot DIM A can take upgrading RAM as well. Dell says something that the
>> > first slot is factory pre-configured RAM. What does that mean?
>> >

>> > Thanks !!
>> This should help.
>> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell
>> 2BInspiron&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Inspiron+1100+Series&submit=Go
>>
>> if you just bought that inspiron new, send it back now, the 1100 has some
>> major problems with heat.
>>

> i have used it sparingly, no problems so far. Is that the problem with fan
> ?
>

> regards
Nope, it has two loud fans but still can't keep it cool under heavy load. I
reinstalled xp clean and its better, hasn't gotton so hot it shuts off
since then but still runs way too hot and runs the fans full speed too
much.