DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
No!

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Celeron <b>D</b>azzling edition

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
what about the possibility that it's the 4th Pentium 4 core - There was a P4A (willamette), B (? Northwood?), C (Northwood), and E (Prescott). Between the releases of the C and E came the Celeron D.

Mike.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
There was a northwood A. The Willamette core had no A, B, C, etc suffix.

Celery D is based on the Scotty 'E'... less cache and lower bus.

It's not the truly pitiful POS that the Northwood-based celery was, but it's still A Bad Thing To Buy.

So D is based on E, but EE is based on C... :eek: And DD is a pleasantly large pair of breasts.

[EDIT]
There's also a newer P4A which is based on E....
[/EDIT]
---
Winnie 3200+ @ ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41V
1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
Asus 6800GT 128Mb<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 04/20/05 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ohh the pain... the pain... [/Dr. Smith voice]

I guess it boils down to: Arbitrary! :smile:

But seriously - there's got to be a reason, but it may have nothing to do with anything said in this thread so far.

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, A, B, and C were Northwoods of 400, 533, and 800 bus. Prescott re-used A for 533 bus P4's, as well as E for 800 bus, so there's D for the Celeron version.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Intel does not want you to know what the "D" stand for because Intel can not handle the truth about their CPU. If the truth gets out, Intel will lose sale and face. Intel is the leader on advertising market and can cover up the truth about their inferior CPU.

I do not work for Intel. I'm not one of their monkey and does not need to suck up to Intel, even though I'm using their CPU. The real truth about what "D" stand for is Degrade. In other word, loss in performance.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 3.2E OC to 3.6 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Celeron D's are good value - depending on what ther intended use is.

For the general gameplay performance/coupled with a decent graphic card there good value for $$.

Just had a look at Tom's CPU charts - P4 Northwoods were considered good chips -

Chart shows Celeron D 2.8 beats P4 Northwood 2.8 playing farcry.

Err, yes getting back to subject - "D" = downgrade, Intel could have used a different letter :)

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
It would seem they're kind of trying to get everything to have a D afterwards...

I mean, "D" in Pentium and in Celeron is more important than "E" in P4E, because all the newer logos have Ds. Maybe after the pentium 4 comes the pentium D and celeron D, who knows. It's a mess... I mean, describing the situation with letters: Pentium WTF?

Well, they've used Pentium + (roman number), Pentium + (decimal number), Pentium + (traditional alphabet letter), maybe they'll give us a Pentium + (greek letter) - Pentium Alpha would be kind of a copyright infringement, but Pentium Omega or something could be cool...

...when will they finally think about switching the rather old "Pentium" name?...

EcnalTtobba

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I am currently running a P4 3.0E. It is a most excellent processor, that said...Before I got this processor I had a Cele D 2.8 and before that a Cele D 2.66 both of which are spectacular CPU's (especially for the price) I could run my 2.66 at 3.6ghz with no problems and no heatsink upgrade and I could run the 2.8 at almost 4ghz with a new heatsink that only cost me $18. My current CPU (3 GHz P4E) I can only get to 3.45 GHz with the same heatsink and mad amounts of tweaking with the BIOS settings. What I’m trying to say is that for the cost the Cele D is an excellent CPU How many CPU's have you had that hit 3.9 GHz and cost $100? I bet not very many...So I say the D stands for Dynamic, Desirable, Domineering, Delectable...Etc...Thank you for listening!