MN 500 & Windows XP service pack 2

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

What a mess! Installed the service pack, then got a
message that "this version of XP" doesn't support the
Microsoft Wireless Broadband device installed. Set up a
wired broadband connection, downloaded the update file,
reboot and bang, no connection. Kept getting incorect
security key messages and when I reconfigured by
restating my original key code, nothing. I turned off my
security key setting and still got no connection
messages. Finally I restored my windows settings from
yesterday. I want to use the service pack, but I will
hang in with Norton Security if Microsoft won't support
its own hardware.

joker

The software is only needed to configure wireless connection on Windows
98, Windows 2000, & Windows ME computers.

Otherwise it is a waste of hard drive space.

Also Firewall software needs to be uninstalled to properly disable it,
unless you are talking about zonealarm in which case you need to either
rebuild the winsock after the uninstall or format the hard drive & start
from scratch to remove that firewall. (Sorry but when I worked
Microsoft support that was the only way I could fix problems that
zonealarm created, most likely cause by PEBCAK errors.)

henry wrote:
> What a mess! Installed the service pack, then got a
> message that "this version of XP" doesn't support the
> Microsoft Wireless Broadband device installed. Set up a
> wired broadband connection, downloaded the update file,
> reboot and bang, no connection. Kept getting incorect
> security key messages and when I reconfigured by
> restating my original key code, nothing. I turned off my
> security key setting and still got no connection
> messages. Finally I restored my windows settings from
> yesterday. I want to use the service pack, but I will
> hang in with Norton Security if Microsoft won't support
> its own hardware.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

The guy in the Wall Street Journal was right- buying an
Apple is a better solution. How is a layperson supposed
to undertake no less understand what you have described,
I certainly don't. Also why does the Mn-500 user manuals,
all published with XP well into the marketplace not
address the issue.

Brendan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ditto, 3 hours of frustration. How did you reset windows
setting, I'm using win XP.

joker

henry wrote:
> The guy in the Wall Street Journal was right- buying an
> Apple is a better solution. How is a layperson supposed
> to undertake no less understand what you have described,
> I certainly don't. Also why does the Mn-500 user manuals,
> all published with XP well into the marketplace not
> address the issue.

Ah yes once again the computers made for momies & dadies. watch the
Internet help desk over at http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html for a
further explanation.

joker

Lets see the manuals were published long before SP2 for Windows XP was
released. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe they didn't
know what changes would take place several months in the furture.

Basically what I said is uninstall software firewalls other then the
Windows XP firewall (it's the only software firewall that I've never
seen cause any problems). Next if the computer has a wired connection
uninstall the BNU. Last but not least if the computer is running
Windows XP or Windows 2003 uninstall the BNU as it is not needed.

Now I followed KISS as you requested. (Please note that is Keep It
Simple for Stupid.)

A simple google search after my post should have helped you out.

Joker wrote:

> henry wrote:
>
>> The guy in the Wall Street Journal was right- buying an Apple is a
>> better solution. How is a layperson supposed to undertake no less
>> understand what you have described, I certainly don't. Also why does
>> the Mn-500 user manuals, all published with XP well into the
>> marketplace not address the issue.
>

> Ah yes once again the computers made for momies & dadies. watch the
> Internet help desk over at http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html for a
> further explanation.

joker

Uninstall the BNU on all Windows XP, Windows 2003, & wired computers.
You will be much better off.

Brendan wrote:
> Ditto, 3 hours of frustration. How did you reset windows
> setting, I'm using win XP.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Hope you didn't take any offense by my last reply, it
just seems to me Microsoft should issue a service pack
that supports its own products or its Broadband webpage
ought to address the issue.

joker

An updated version has been released for the BNU, it's just people are
to lazy or stupid to update that as well, & they don't check things out
like they should. I still see no point in installing the update because
the BNU doesn't support WPA while Windows XP does.

The only need for the BNU is to add WEP support to Windows 98, Windows
2000, & Windows ME computers. Otherwise it is of no real use.

I just thought you were being stupid. It takes allot to offend me.