Tom's Real Time CPU Comparison

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
I really like Tom's new CPU real time comparison. I took the time to do the survey but it did not give any option for write your own suggestion.

I the comparison is great and I appreciate the amount of work it must have taken. The only thing I'd really like to see is some 64 bit comparisons. Perhaps that is already planned but I'd love to see a comparison of a game that supports 64 bit processing vs. 32 bit. I'd like to know what games show the most improvement. I realize not all games are written to take advantage of 64 bit computing yet.

Is there anyone else who would like to see this? I've tried sending e-mails for suggestions in the past so I'm not sure how to get this to the editors.

endyen

Splendid
You have to understand how much work/ how difficult it was to come up with benches that would give the desired result.
You can be sure that, if Intel actually does well in 64bit, it will be included.

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
I do understand and appreciate how much work is involved. Please notice this in my first post. I've done some test mark work myself so I know how much extra effort it would be. I'm not sure why you mentioned intel 64. Currently AMD 64 is out. So for example if I wanted to compare UT on a P3 850, an P4 2.8 and an AMD 64 3800 I realize only the AMD would have 64 bit results - perhaps they could show the AMD 64 results with both 32 and 64 bit results. I would imagine they will be adding results for new chips when they come out so if they added the AMD 64 results now, they could add results later when Intel turns on the 64 bit components.

Mind you I am NOT complaining. I do appreciate the chart - it is very helpful and I do recognize a great deal of effort went into it. I am just stating I would also like the 64 bit scores.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by boe on 04/21/05 09:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Yes, the new 6xx Intel chips are "EM64T" enabled. The execution is not up to Amd standards.
My first post was rather tongue in cheek. At present most say that the Amd chips are better performers, generally. Looking at the comparison, it would be resonable to believe that the Intel chips are far superior. The people who made up the list of benchmarks, must have had to work very hard indeed to show Intel in such a good light.
Sorry if you missed my point.

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
Sorry, I didn't realize it was sarcastic. Speaking of Intel, it would be nice if they made the drop down selector just a little wider so you could see more details on the choice. Try selecting Intel P4 2.8 GHz and guess which one is which. If you happen to know which 2.8 is ranked where you could based on the order but since I don't I can't tell for sure.