After upgrading my computer...

kmfdmaddict

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
I just upgraded my Compaq Presario. I got a new mobo and case with a 1.3 Duron and 256megs of RAM. The problem is the computer keeps randomly crashing and giving BSOD's.

It works for hours if using a regular windows program (IE, excel) but on games (both 3d and simple 2d) it always crashes after a half hour or so. I've tried reinstalling the drivers for my voodoo3 and that doesn't work. Anyone have any idea of what this could be?

I use Win98, btw.

I'm thinking it's a software issue because of the BSOD's.

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Did you format the hard drive when u put in the new mobo and Duron 1,3?
Because youre saying you "upgraded". So you just kept the Voodoo and the Hard drive plus whatever else u got...right?

My friend has a Compaq Presario, and he gets huge harware conflicts when putting anything in there, that didnt come with the computer. But since you have a new Mobo too, it shouldnt be a problem. Unless you never formated the hard disk.
If you did...format it again. (Just kidding)

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
hopefully you wiped the os off the face of the map and reinstalled it and then loaded the prper drivers for your new mobo

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?lagger" target="_new"> All Nude Female Jello® Wrestling RuleZ!</A>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
The other two guys sound like they are joking but they are right - you have to reformat win98 once in a while. You don't notice this requirement in the newer MS os's because after 12 months you are replacing the os anyway. But win98 users from here to forever will have to reformat every so often, which is not that big a deal if you plan for it.

John A