fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
So i finally gave in and bought some athlon 64 stuff.
This is what i have.

Abit an8
socket 939 3000+
MSI 6600gt
ultra pc4000 2x512 ram.

I am new to athlon 64 and have much more experience with pentium systems. This is my problem... i throw the vid card, ram and cpu in. It all reads it fine, runs everything perfectly, posts fine, i set it to boot to the windows xp cd in the drive, it starts to boot up asks me if i want to boot from iti hit enter but then is unable to boot to the hard drive for some reason, after hitting enter i just get the black screen with the blinking white line in the top left, ive tried windows 98, and booting to xp with floppys, nothing works. Is there something i dont know about with these systems? a bios setting or something i need to change? my hard drive which was previously on a p4 system is partitioned, could this be causing a problem. any help would be great. thanks.

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
yes thats exactly what i mean, it wont boot into windows. just kinda gets stuck right on the black screen with the little blinking line.

pat

Expert
because it boot to the hdd with your OS installed with your old P4 motherboard. It is not booting with the CDROM

Going from an Intel install to an AMD install need a complete reinstallation of XP.

So, it is a problem with either your first boot device is not correctly set to CDROM, or either your cdrom is not bootable anymore.

If you assemble the PC yourself, maybe you did something wrong with your cable.

But they are not different from Intel setup, at least, from what I've seen so far.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
You wont be able to use your old windows install, without repairing it first.
You need to set cdrom as your first boot device. This should allow you to hit enter, to get to the xp cd.
Act like you are going to do a fresh install, untill you see a screen that gives the option of a repair install.
Really, doing a fresh install isn't that bad an idea.

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
I was just coming back on to ask for more help and tell everyone im not as stupid as maybe my post, or your answers to my post suggest. But then i realized i was using a windows xp cd that was gimped and for some reason had wound up back in my pile. So everything works perfectly now, thanks for the help wusy. The problem was before was that it wouldnt even let me get into the windows install screen. so there was no choice for a fresh install or anything.. i know enough to not try to run an old install, i am reformatting one partition and i had all my good stuff saved on the other..

endyen

Splendid
Have a read. I hope it helps. <A HREF="http://www.techangel.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=502" target="_new">http://www.techangel.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=502</A>

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
i read it.. and it may be my problem.. but i am still very confused. I am having all sorts of problems right now, i managed to get into windows, installed the chipset drivers and then isntalled cool and quiet... went to put on my antivirus and it started giving me error about memory adn numbers... x003000 or something like that. so im trying to repair that install with only 512 of ram in.. hoping it might do something.. this is really frustrating me, my p4 installs were always but and dry and took less than an hour.

Switching from Intel to Amd or vice versa without a fresh format of the HDD was the mistake you made. Have you run Memtest to verify it's not the memory?

pat

Expert
Some burner doest like the nvidia drivers. When you installed the chipset, did you install the HDD drivers that where available during the install..

Go in device manager and roll back to standard microsoft drivers and that should fix your problem.

And if your P4 install were done less than an hours, then my AMD install are done in less than half an hours.

I'm tired of peoples telling that the problem is the motherboard/CPU because they lack the knowledge for modern system. I spent a whole afternoon trying to install Windows on an Asus and a Celeron D CPU.. I finnaly had to disable onboard sound in BIOS to have Windows to properly install. Why? I dont know.. but that was the first time I had to do that. The lesson here, when everything was working?? Never get a celeron...

AMD or Intel are as easy to install each other when thing works out of the box. But when something goes wrong with either one, you can have bad time. You could have run in the same problem with an Intel system. Maybe you should go back in time in this forum and read about other's problems.. You'll see as much for Intel than AMD..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
It's a good idea to install memory in the slots closest to the chip. Running memtest86 (only works in dos)<A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com/</A> would be good as well.