$2k gaming rig. Have at it!!

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Looking to build a gaming rig for $2k before any shipping charges. I will need everything.(Keyboard, mouse, monitor) Biggest thing to look for is upgrade ability. 3 years from now, I want to be able to just swap out or add any one part and be good to go. That being said, PCI-E w/SLI and DDR2 is probably a must. (Planning for the future with DDR2) I am 100% set on having a 19" LCD monitor. Ok guys..... have at it!!!

AMD XP 3200+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X Ver2.0
2 X 512MB Mushkin RAM
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I would go with the ATI 9200....you may have to cut corners on other parts but it will be worth it.

endyen

Splendid
You will have to wait.
At this point DDR2 and SLI are mutually exclusive.
Amd has SLI, Intel has DDR2. You will be able to get Intel SLI sooner, but you will have to factor in water cooling, to make good use of that $2k.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Gee thanks a lot guys.

And for the record, that really wasn't even funny.

Endyen, thank you.

AMD XP 3200+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X Ver2.0
2 X 512MB Mushkin RAM
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I thought two things were funny....

You comming here without saying what you want out of your machine, if you want to Overclock, or any starting point except a bottom dollar....If i had 2grand what would i do? Build a computer for a grand and have a 24" Dell monitor.
or maybe build a 1600 machine and take the 400bucks and blow it on strippers.

And secondly i thought us making fun of you was funny.
You can say it wasn't funny to you.....but it was funny to me.

There is the new nForce4 SLI (Intel edition)...I forget whether or not it uses DDR2. :eek:

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Actually I'd have taken his 2000.00$ blown 1600 on strippers and use the 400 bucks for a new mobo, cpu and ram for my existing system. :lol: :lol: :lol:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I would have to agree with pickxx...

If you want any info, try doing a little research yourself.

Of course, I just happen to own a computer company, and will gladly take your $2000 and build you a new system. PM me and I will send you a mailing address to send a check to. Or better yet, I'll give you my e-mail so you can send the money via paypal. :smile:

Systems Running F@H:
AMD: [A64 3200+] [XP2800+ x2] [XP2400+]
Intel: [P4 2.8 x4] [P4 2.0] [P4 1.8] [P4 1.7] [P4 1.6 x2] [P4 1.4M] [Xeon 1.0] [Cel 1.0] [P3 ??]

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A64 3200+
Soltek K8T890
1 GB DDR (doesn't have to be fast stuff. C2 PC 3200 will do)
Antec SX1080B case
ATI X800XL
Dell 2005FPW (wait for a good coupon deal on this one)
200 GB SATA HD
DVD/RW
Logitech MX Duo

See what that runs you.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

Here is a recent <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050406/index.html" target="_new">THG Article</A> on the chipset. It does use DDR2 and has SLI. I do NOT recommend Intel for gaming. Any gaming benchmark that you look at will clearly show that AMD has the advantage in gaming - no ifs, ands or buts. AMD rules gaming right now...period. You should go with a good s939 AMD system for the best gaming performance AND the best price/performance. AMD's next dual core chipset is supposed to use DDR2, but that is at least a year down the road. How long do you keep a gaming system? How often do you upgrade? What is your budget?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I'm a little dissapointed... this forum has always been full of a lot of mature and very helpful people (yes it still is)... but somehow... from these same ppl... there has been an influx of useless, meaningless posts that have helped no one and only served as an annoyance. Please, if you're going to post, don't waste people's time by posting crap that doesn't help them. Just be nice, be helpful, be mature, and help keep the Tom's Hardware forums one of the best resources on the net. You guys now a lot, some ppl ask simple questions that have been asked many times, but if you're not in a mood to help... just don't post, or point them to another thread, or just tell them nicely where they can research.

Man, thats a tough question. First, you are just going to have to accept that in 3 years you won't be able to do a simple swap... sorry. Tech is changing fast still, with Dual cores & smaller footprints and new sockets and RAM formats and all that. But if I were you, for $2000, I will tell you what I would do... but a couple of questions are in order...

1.) Most important System Performance in... gaming? encoding/video editing? or...? I am assuming gaming since SLI was a concern to you, and yes, the Athlon64 is your best bet for this.

2.) Do you plan to overclock?

Now, I don't know a ton about the new chipsets/roadmaps for AMD, so someone else will have to fill in there. Someone... whats the best socket 939/SLI/DDR2/PCI-E Athlon64 board?

I'd say the best bang for the buck chip (range) is the Athlon64 3500-3800. Sure, the "FX" 53/55 chips are blazing fast, but its going to cost you a fortune.

Check www.pricewatch.com to do some research.

Grab some Micro/Crucuial, Corsair RAM (there are other good brands too that others will mention, these are my prefernces). Get 1GB (2x512) - getting 2 sticks runs in dual channel, and leaves you room if you get a mobo w/4 DIMM slots to add more in later. You only need 1GB for now. Definetly get high quality stuff, Pc5400 I believe is top for DDR2 right now, get it CL2 registered XMS-PRO or the high end series RAM. Don't be cheap here if you really want a strong system.

You want SLI, then you want NVIDIA. You're going to have to research the best graphics card setup for you. I'd lean towards a BFG 6800GT 256mb... or maybe 2 6600GTs in SLI would be faster...?

19" Flat-Panel eh? Well, I know your '100%' set... but for me... I wouldn't. Maybe I'm just anal, but the performance on the 19" isn't where I want them just yet for gaming and optimal performance. I'd go with a top of the line 17"... but they are spendy... and I prefer 19". Plus, high end 19" flat panels, which you'd def. want high end... cuz to me even the high end aren't good enough just yet for 19"... well, its going to cost you. I'd say, get a better performing system and get a $225 19" CRT Viewsonic G90FB or something similar. It looks better, performs better, and costs a whole lot less... so as long as you have the extra depth for desk space.

I love playing games with good sound... so I'd say a 5.1 surround sound system (or 7.1) is a must, I got the Logitech 500W 5.1 surround sound system for just over $200 and its great. You'll probably want a good soundcard to couple with this, say a Creative Audigy 2ZS/4.

Pick a case that you like that has good cooling, good looks, the features you want, and a PSU that is at least 400W, though for you I'd say go higher yet. 550W would be ideal.

Want fast boot times? 2xWD Raptors (10,000 RPMs) SATA, in RAID-0 performance, 76 gb versions, as boot drives, and put your main APPs here for super fast loading. Then a nice 300GB Seagte SATA (5yr-warranty on Seagates) as a good storage drive.

Get a 16x DVD-/+RW w/DL capability, such as the Pioneer DVR-109. Maybe get 2, its always nice to have two optical drives, and with two identical burners I think you can have Nero burn an image file to both at the same time (anyone confirm this?)

Get a nice keyboard/mouse... just do it... I like the Logitech MX1000 ion-lithium rechargle cordless mouse, Logitech also just released a wired mx518 gaming mouse which is excellent. Get a keyboard with multimedia/volume controls, can't live without that anymore.

In summary:

AMD Athlon64 3500-3800, or an FX53/55 if you really want to splurge

- SOMEONE HELP - best Athlon64 939 mobo w/DDR2, PCI-E, SLI

2x512mb Corsair XMS-PRO DDR2 Pc5400 RAM

2xPioneer DVR-109 or equivalent burners

2x76gb Western Digital Raptors in RAID-0 (performance) config; SATA 10,000rpm 8/16mb cache
1x300GB SATA Seagate 7200rpm HD

19" top-end TFT flat screen (low response time, ie 12ms or less, 16 should get you by but...), or I personally recommend going with a 19" CRT, such as the Viewsonic G90FB (B for black, if you want a black rig)

5.1+ surround sound setup, 500W... I use Logitech's.

at least 400W PSU, Antec is good brand. Get TruePower or Silent series. Also get good cooling fans, silent smart fans, for the case. And the case is up to you, but get something nice.

NVIDIA (needed for SLI) video... (1) GeForce 6800GT 256mb or (2) GeForce 6600GT 128mb SLIed

check www.pricewatch.com for all this. You will still have to do some work/research on your own, through pricewatch, tomshardware articles, google, and manufacture's websites. Come back when you have done your homework and let us know what you're looking at (before ordering) and why.

And don't let the retarded posts throw you off. We hope you stick around and hope you find the info here helpful!

- Dan

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dannyaa on 04/25/05 06:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Endyen: The THG article lists the MSI P4N (MSI-7160) as the first board to have this chipset.

Danyaa:
I'm a little dissapointed... this forum has always been full of a lot of mature and very helpful people (yes it still is)... but somehow... from these same ppl... there has been an influx of useless, meaningless posts that have helped no one and only served as an annoyance. Please, if you're going to post, don't waste people's time by posting crap that doesn't help them. Just be nice, be helpful, be mature, and help keep the Tom's Hardware forums one of the best resources on the net. You guys now a lot, some ppl ask simple questions that have been asked many times, but if you're not in a mood to help... just don't post, or point them to another thread, or just tell them nicely where they can research.
If you're directing this post at me, then I suggest that you reread my posts. They were nothing but helpful, gave my honest recommendations and tried to answer his requests. He specifically requested info on a board that has SLI and DDR2, so I gave him the info and then gave a recommendation against that path. If your post wasn't directed to me, then I recommend you reply to the person (people) at whom you are directing your ire in the future.
Grab some Micro/Crucuial, Corsair RAM (there are other good brands too that others will mention, these are my prefernces). Get 1GB (2x512) - getting 2 sticks runs in dual channel, and leaves you room if you get a mobo w/4 DIMM slots to add more in later. You only need 1GB for now. Definetly get high quality stuff, Pc5400 I believe is top for DDR2 right now, get it CL2 registered XMS-PRO or the high end series RAM. Don't be cheap here if you really want a strong system.
Don't forget that if he gets a Winchester core s939, then the system will default to a 333Mhz FSB when there are more than 4 banks of memory (each 512MB stick of RAM will have two banks). To avoid this he needs to make sure he gets one of the new Venice core A64s.
Now, I don't know a ton about the new chipsets/roadmaps for AMD, so someone else will have to fill in there. Someone... whats the best socket 939/SLI/DDR2/PCI-E Athlon64 board?
As Endyen stated earlier, there is no such platform - that's why I linked to the new nForce4 (Intel edition) and stated that future generations of AMD chips are supposed to take advantage, but none today. :/
You want SLI, then you want NVIDIA. You're going to have to research the best graphics card setup for you. I'd lean towards a BFG 6800GT 256mb... or maybe 2 6600GTs in SLI would be faster...?
Single 6800GT is faster in nearly all cases and provides a future upgrade path - as long as he can find another one of 6800GTs from the same mfr AND the are compatible enough for SLI. I'm not a huge fan of SLI and would recommend a single high-end card over SLI. Save money on the mobo and drop it into a better vid card like the X850XT PE. It performas as well or better than the SLI'd 6800GTs in most cases with the exception of very high res with AA/AF. If money is not the major concern AND he will be gaming at high res with AA/AF, then SLI'd 6800GTs is the best route. Otherwise, I would recommend saving the money for a future upgrade when the next gen cards come out. Heck, get a ATI X800XL for $254 at Newegg and then get the next gen card when it hits the streets.
Pick a case that you like that has good cooling, good looks, the features you want, and a PSU that is at least 400W, though for you I'd say go higher yet. 550W would be ideal.
The PSU is the cornerstone of the PC. He needs to get a high quality <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/index.html" target="_new">ATX12V v2.0</A> PSU. A 400W - especially generic - will get clobbered by SLI'd 6800GTs. Something like this <A HREF="http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21102" target="_new">Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P</A> would be much better. Might as well get a great case for the system too, like this <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-141&depa=0" target="_new">Antec P160</A>. This case comes with one 120MM case fan, but I would recommend getting another one like this <A HREF="http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=CF-013" target="_new">120MM Panaflo medium output</A> for additional case airflow.
- SOMEONE HELP - best Athlon64 939 mobo w/DDR2, PCI-E, SLI
Again - there is no such beast.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
DDR2 isn't used in AMD systems...DDR2 won't be out for some time (1 year est w/AMD products).

Current machines running F@H:
AMD: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
If you want an AMD system:
If you want to OC 10-30%:
3200+ 90nm est. $182
hyperX cl2 3200 512x2 $119 (only on Outpost.com for the price)
xp 90 heat sink $43
92mm fan for use with hs $12
535 psu Enermax $100 (see ruggers post 535 whisper...great psu...i have it runs everything great)
2x6800GT sli - $750-900 (est 820 for total)
DFI Lanparty nf4 sli-dr $230
72gb WD 10k raptor $190
250gb WD 7.2k $140
logitech elite keyboard (or any other...) $24
log. mx1000 wireless laser mouse $53
nec dvd burner $52 (one of the bested reviewed...)
Antek solution slk-3000-b $45

Total $2010
+ mb $100 shipping

if you don't want to OC:
3500+ 90nm winchester $270 (not oem)
hyperX cl2 3200 512x2 $119 (only on Outpost.com for the price)
2x6800GT sli - $750-900 (est 820 for total)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Socket 939 $188
72gb WD 10k raptor $190
250gb WD 7.2k $140
logitech elite keyboard (or any other...) $24
log. mx1000 wireless laser mouse $53
nec dvd burner $52 (one of the bested reviewed...)
Antec PERFORMANCE TX640B 400w psu* included $92

Tot 1948
+ 100 ship est.
*if you want to add anything more then the above to the non-oc, you will want to consider getting a better psu. as is, this setup will be pushing that psu pretty hard.

Someone else will have to do Intelzilla

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apesoccer on 04/25/05 01:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
no rugger, it wasn't directed to you at all. Sorry I just hit the closest reply button. It's not actually directed at anyone as normally everyone is very helpful... I've just seen 'a few' too many useless posts... but not from you...

I'll throw something else in here too. All this is said with the assumption that you are going with an AMD system. In the event that gaming is a secondary priority to you, consider the new 600-series from Intel. They include 64-bit extensions as well as HT. You could also look at the new 800 series, which I don't know a ton about, but they are dual core, and I assume 64bit, and should be available very soon, if not already. Both Abit & Asus make very good mobos for these chips, called the Asus P8N-something Deluxe, and the Abit is the AA8XE - these support DDR2 and PCI-E, but not SLI... but like another said, getting a single high end graphics card is probably the best choice unless you have a lot to spend.

Apesoccer has put together a pretty killer system there. If you wanted to splurge a little bit, consider 2 SATA raptors instead of 1 in a performance RAID config. You could also get the smaller Raptor for cheaper if you were going to do 2 in RAID and have about the same amount of HD space.

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

Or he could get the <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102519" target="_new">Sappire X850XTPE</A> for $489 and the <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152" target="_new">DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D</A> for $130 and save a total of $369 and get comparable performance. I just don't think that $369 is worth a few extra FPS at the high resolutions with AA/AF.

He'd be better off taking the extra money and putting it into the processor or a better case or better OC RAM like the PDP XBLK (if he's going to OC) or the Thermaltake 680W PSU beast that Mozz has in his system. I just don't see the logic in SLI and think the best route for long term satisfaction is the X800XL and then the upgrade to the next gen with the money from not going SLI ($566). JMHO.

<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rugger on 04/25/05 03:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I'm a little dissapointed... this forum has always been full of a lot of mature and very helpful people (yes it still is)... but somehow... from these same ppl... there has been an influx of useless, meaningless posts that have helped no one and only served as an annoyance. Please, if you're going to post, don't waste people's time by posting crap that doesn't help them
I see that you have been a member since 01. Have things really changed so much over that period of time. I make useless comments all the time, and I am confident that I will continue to make them. Part of what I enjoy about this forum is the freedom and the fact that I can stop being grown up for a little while. There are plenty of other forums that dont have any useless comments, no now that I think about it all forums have useless comments the difference is that the others have stupid adminisrators running around saying crap like :mad: STAY ON TOPIC!

You only need 1GB for now. Definetly get high quality stuff, Pc5400 I believe is top for DDR2 right now, get it CL2 registered XMS-PRO or the high end series RAM.

Dont most games play ok with 512MB?

They are up to DDR2 800 now and I think that its PC number is higher than 5400.

I think the lowest CL for DDR2 is 3. My board only goes down to 3 on CL. CL is not that important with DDR2. You cant compare DDR and DDR2 exactly the same, they are two different animals altogether. I run mine at 4-4-4-6-4 and am faster than any DDR or DDR2 that I know of.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>Benchmarked 5Ghz</font color=red>
X800XL 474/609 <font color=red>#5 in 3DMark05 #3 in PCMark04
3DMark05-<font color=red>5965</font color=red>
3DMark03-<font color=red>13496</font color=red>
PCMark04-<font color=red>6170</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Both Abit & Asus make very good mobos for these chips, called the Asus P8N-something Deluxe, and the Abit is the AA8XE -
The best ASUS board is the P5AD2-E-Premium in fact its the best board on the market for these CPU's. The Abit 925XE boards have alot of reports of glitches showing up in different areas.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>Benchmarked 5Ghz</font color=red>
X800XL 474/609 <font color=red>#5 in 3DMark05 #3 in PCMark04
3DMark05-<font color=red>5965</font color=red>
3DMark03-<font color=red>13496</font color=red>
PCMark04-<font color=red>6170</font color=red>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
And thats certainly a way to go, not to mention cheaper and gets around the same fps or better in most major games. However, he asked for sli... The obvious retort would be that he asked for ddr2... However right now, you can't buy a system with both. The closest thing would be the p4 system with sli...when it becomes readily available. Also, if you're going to go with a single card system, then there's no point in getting the sli board <<<edit: sorry i see where you already addressed this>>>...which would save even more money.

Now...as to better cpu and ram. I assume you mean one of those unlocked fx's <<<edit: ok mb not an fx =D>>>and the ram is great, but you'd have to buy a better cooling system(unless you live in a house that stays 65-70f all the time). Because with the system i speked, i know from experience that you can't keep it cool enough. I have the pdp xblk ram in my system, have it clocked from 1.8 (3000+) to 2.1 (on an xp90 with a 92mm tornado [say what? i can't hear you...=( ]), which runs fine up to 85f (room temp)...however when my door is closed my room hits excess of 90f...which will crash my system (with cpu 100%) after about 2 hrs. Don't get me wrong...when its 75f in my room...the cpu (@100%)sits at about 43c, which is fine. And i haven't even increased the v to the cpu... Anyway...What this means, is that if he wants to do some serious oc'n, in an uncontrolled environment (like my own), he's going to need an alternate means of cooling. Which is going to be a much added cost. Which is why i conditioned my original OC'n statement at 10-30%. Which would of course be dependant on temps, knowledge, and OC ability of the processor. And because i only said 10-30%, then the ram i stated will be good enough. Not to mention that if he was an OCer he probably would already know what he wants and how to get it, and wouldn't be asking us. =D

<<<edit: you could price out a 3200-3500 and a water cooling system, removing the sli, and going with a single gpu as you suggested; but then we're shooting down both of what he said he wanted in a system heh (sli and ddr2)>>>

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apesoccer on 04/25/05 04:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I agree with everything you said. As you saw, I tried to provide the info he initially requested.

We both agree that the A64 is the best route for a gaming rig, so that eliminates the DDR2. We also agree that SLI isn't worth the extra cost for the few extra FPS at high res, so that would take out the SLI. The issue is explaining the details to him so he can make the best decision for his money. :wink:

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
omg! somebody agreed with me! hmm...must be a misprint <waits for tell-tale edit>

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time