Latitude 610 Mouse & Display Problem

At work I inherited a Latitude 610 laptop with a fresh install of XP pro,
this was 10 days ago & at first the mouse pointer used to slowly creep
across the screen, a reboot or 2 would cure the problem, in the past few
days I have experienced lockups particularly when using Outlook and Explorer
(6), on rebooting XP tells me there is a problem with the ATI Radeon display
driver.

Now the mouse pointer is creeping all the time, a reboot doesn't cure it &
it is impossible to control the computer.

Before I start doing anything rash, is this a common problem ? and how is it
repaired ?.

All replies appreciated.

Rachel
4 answers Last reply
More about latitude mouse display problem

    Yes it is a common problem and a large quantity of Dell laptops. the usual
    fix under Dell warranty is a keyboard and palmrest replacement. If the
    machine is out of warranty then you could retry reseating the KB and PR but
    the chances are it will only be a short term fix and they will need
    replacing

    Rachel wrote:

    > At work I inherited a Latitude 610 laptop with a fresh install of XP pro,
    > this was 10 days ago & at first the mouse pointer used to slowly creep
    > across the screen, a reboot or 2 would cure the problem, in the past few
    > days I have experienced lockups particularly when using Outlook and
    > Explorer (6), on rebooting XP tells me there is a problem with the ATI
    > Radeon display driver.
    >
    > Now the mouse pointer is creeping all the time, a reboot doesn't cure it &
    > it is impossible to control the computer.
    >
    > Before I start doing anything rash, is this a common problem ? and how is
    > it repaired ?.
    >
    > All replies appreciated.
    >
    > Rachel
    Common, disable the point stick or replace the keyboard.

    Probably a faulty pointing stick on the kybd.
    Go to support.ap.dell.com/filelib and download the driver
    Synaptics Touchpad, Driver, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Multi Language, Multi
    System, v.7.9.3, A12
    file name Tp2aa12i.exe

    Once installed try disabling the pointing stick.

    If still bad you will probably have to replace the keyboard & palmrest.

    Note - the driver is only seems to do the disabled setting once you sign on.
    I had the same issue on my C600 and ended up getting the parts replaced.

    "Rachel" <rachel@btclick.com> wrote in message
    > At work I inherited a Latitude 610 laptop with a fresh install of XP pro,
    > this was 10 days ago & at first the mouse pointer used to slowly creep
    > across the screen, a reboot or 2 would cure the problem, in the past few
    > days I have experienced lockups particularly when using Outlook and
    Explorer
    > (6), on rebooting XP tells me there is a problem with the ATI Radeon
    display
    > driver.
    >
    > Now the mouse pointer is creeping all the time, a reboot doesn't cure it &
    > it is impossible to control the computer.
    >
    > Before I start doing anything rash, is this a common problem ? and how is
    it
    > repaired ?.
    >
    > All replies appreciated.
    >
    > Rachel

    Many thanks to all who replied,

    A hefty shove on the KB before bootup got me temporarily working again but
    like you said - the problem returned the next day.

    the keyboard and pam rest are being replaced under warranty - tomorrow.

    thanks again.

    Rachel

Dell Latitude Mice Windows XP Computers