USB CAPTURE CARD (VHS to PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey guys,
Was kind of confused on where exactly I'd need to post this.. but anyways, I have a bunch of VHS tapes, and a VCR, I want to put a digital format of those tapes on my laptop. Can someone tell me exactly what I will need? I know I need a USB Capture card, but I'm stuck on picking one that doesn't break the bank, and is decent quality, I know I'm not getting Full HD quality out of those VHS tapes :D But I don't want to have playback issues, glitches, Audio/Video off track, etc.. because of a cheap USB capture card.

From what I understand, I need to get a USB capture card, connect it to my PC, get the capture software provided with the capture card up and ready to go. Hook up the capture card to VCR, pop-in a tape, starts playing it, and at the same time, record it using the software. Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

I prefer to buy from somewhere like Fry's, or BestBuy. Budget is anywhere under $100, I'd prefer it to be as low as possible, but I don't want to compromise the quality of the video.

Question: What is the video resolution on a VHS tape?

I'm totally alright if someone can paste links to other forum questions related to mine, I couldn't find any in my searches.

Thanks,

:hello:

Solution

To me there is a value for something that runs for over 3 years with zero problems; still runs fine! And I know that it is kinda expensive. Try to catch it on sale; Newegg or eBay, or somewhere.
quoted from another forum

"No, this is not the case. The references are to what is the minimum
required digitization resolution for VHS source that will probably maintain
most of the quality in the VHS source. VHS tapes deliver a television
signal of roughly 480 scan lines of image data per frame (two interlaced
fields), and are capable of something like 250 lines of horizontal
resolution ... I would digitize VHS source at 720x480 to preserve as much
quality as possible, and to integrate properly with projects that include
material from all the current digital formats."

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Thank you both for those answers, it influences my views a lot, I'm still wondering though, what would you all consider a good buy? specifically, Ubrales, the Hauppage HVR is pretty sweet, but it is out of my budget, any other suggestions? Thanks :D

To me there is a value for something that runs for over 3 years with zero problems; still runs fine! And I know that it is kinda expensive. Try to catch it on sale; Newegg or eBay, or somewhere.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.