Mousepad - Rough surface, bad gliding

Hawdskinna

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I've been using a Razer Lachesis for about a year now on some crappy Future Shop Mouse pad, and its been working fine. Recently I thought I'd get a new one and heard good things about Steelseries. I bought one of the Steelseries 4HD ones, with the "reflective" rough surface to improve the gliding. However, now my mouse seems to dart from area to area, making clicking on something very hard. The cursor goes in the general direction I want it to, but tends to bounce around where I'm aiming it, rather than just going where I want it to.

I messed around with my settings, and updated the drivers.. I've searched google for an answer, but came up with nothing making me think there is a blatantly obvious solution that I'm not getting.

Any ideas?

skaz

Distinguished
That mouse uses the Philips Twin Eye PLN 2031 sensor which is known to have issues. My guess is that the new mouse pad just made it more noticeable. You could try different DPI settings and see if that helps at all.

use a $5 black foamrubber mousepad with the cloth top surface. there is absolutely no need for a "special mousepad".

i've used everything from ball mice, laser mice to led mice on such surfaces and its perfect. i currently use a razer deathadder.

skaz

Distinguished

I prefer mouse pads with harder smooth surfaces. I think it comes down to personal taste. After trying hard surface mouse pads I would never go back to a cheap cloth mousepad.

well you can believe whatever you want to believe, i'm not trying to change that. i'm just saying that after using many different types of mice on many different surfaces there really isnt much to be said for spending $30+ on a pad which you could have gotten for $5. all i'm doing is giving the OP another opinion to go by. i've used the cheap mousepads fine up into the 3000dpi+ range and they work fine. though...when you start to make the mouse too sensitive the normal hand-jittering starts to come into play. anywhere in the 500-800dpi range seems to work great for me. even on ultra-fast paced fps games i never had any issues.

but i will repeat this again: we all have our own opinions. maybe you feel that you game better on said surfaces even though i have noticed zero improvement.

skaz

Distinguished

As always with the interwebz its safe to always just asume someone is expressing an opinion. As you should have with me, instead of typing up a huge post stressing your expression of an "opinion".

Kind of funny though. haha =)