I need a quick reply!! Please, help me!

spikypotato

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hello everyone,

I would ask your opinions on my PC upgrade. I'm on dilemma right now coz which one should I upgrade? My Processor or Graphics? I need to upgrade coz I wanna play latest games smoothly without lags in low/medium/high detail.

Here is my current PC specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.06GHz [To be upgrade with Pentium Dual-Core E6600]

Graphics: On-board Intel X4500 GMA (Max. shared memory 1759MB) [To be upgrade with GeForce GT210/ATI HD5450]

Motherboard: ASRock G41M-VS3 R.20 Socket 775

RAM: 2GB DDR3

Right now with these specs i can play PES2012 in low/medium/high detail with minor lags, StarCraft 2 in Low detail with lags but still playable, GTA San Andreas with minor lags, NFS Most Wanted in high detail with micro lags and FIFA 11 with ultra lags (even in Very Low settings).

So back to the question, which one should I upgrade (please pick one and be serious) to fix all those lags problem. I need your opinions. Please help me decide coz I'm gonna go upgrade my PC tomorrow.

SpikyPotato (Shaz)

Solution

Those cards are about half as fast as the 5670, not worth it for the small savings. The 220 is even less than half the speed. If you really can't afford anything over a 5570, get that, will be way better than your current video card.
For gaming, do not use either of the video cards you want, those are general use cards, maybe for good HD movie quality but not good for games. While faster than the intel onboard, it's a waste of money if the goal is to play games.

And what speed of the E6600 are you getting? If it's under 2.8 or 3 gig, will also be a bit of a waste.

While anything you want to get would be faster than what you have, for the money spent, they are not good upgrades for gaming.

You did not list your power supply, it's very important in picking any upgrades. With at least a 300 watt good brand PSU, you should get the Radeon 5670, it's pretty much the lowest "gaming" card you'd want to have.

spikypotato

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I do not have a good brand PSU but it's 450 watt.... I'm not a serious gamer...If I can play games smoothly on medium settings that is enough for me.. The E6600 is 3.06 GHz... i'm thinking at least it's a dual-core :??:

oh forgot to tell you guys my budget is a lil bit limited.. (around $40-$80)

HD 5670 is okay...but what about GT 220? or HD 5570?

Those cards are about half as fast as the 5670, not worth it for the small savings. The 220 is even less than half the speed. If you really can't afford anything over a 5570, get that, will be way better than your current video card.

Solution

spikypotato

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Okay...so I'm really gonna start saving my money for that... Thanks for your suggestion! :D