Palm programming on Mac OSX (redux)

January 6, 2005 6:46:43 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

A few weeks back I posted a question about programming Palm applications
on Mac OSX, and got some helpful replies. Today I finally got around to
trying to get things running, only to find that the actual process
wasn't exactly newbie-friendly (ie compiling from source).

Then I found this:

http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/index.html

which wraps up the whole thing in a nice double-clickable installer.
There's even sample source code to compile/run/install. Hope this is
useful to someone.

So, that's Hello World! out of the way. Now to get my hands dirty...

-zoara-

--
My lozenge is a full earthy herbal lozenge incorporating a miscellanea
of weeds known for advancing sexual longing and performance, causing

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 6/1/05 3:46 pm, in article 1gpz4ty.2te0c1unjos8N%me3@privacy.net, "zoara"
<me3@privacy.net> wrote:

> A few weeks back I posted a question about programming Palm applications
> on Mac OSX, and got some helpful replies. Today I finally got around to
> trying to get things running, only to find that the actual process
> wasn't exactly newbie-friendly (ie compiling from source).
>
> Then I found this:
>
> http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/index.html

Didn't I post that link in that thread? Oh well.

Cheers,

Chris
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 10:20:31 PM

zoara <me3@privacy.net> wrote:

> A few weeks back I posted a question about programming Palm applications
> on Mac OSX, and got some helpful replies. Today I finally got around to
> trying to get things running, only to find that the actual process
> wasn't exactly newbie-friendly (ie compiling from source).
>
> Then I found this:
>
> http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/index.html
>
> which wraps up the whole thing in a nice double-clickable installer.
> There's even sample source code to compile/run/install. Hope this is
> useful to someone.
>
> So, that's Hello World! out of the way. Now to get my hands dirty...
>
> -zoara-

ooh had a download will have a play tonight or over weekend, cheers for
that.

roger
Related resources
January 8, 2005 1:13:47 AM

Roger Merriman <SPAM@wodger.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> zoara <me3@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > A few weeks back I posted a question about programming Palm applications
> > on Mac OSX, and got some helpful replies. Today I finally got around to
> > trying to get things running, only to find that the actual process
> > wasn't exactly newbie-friendly (ie compiling from source).
> >
> > Then I found this:
> >
> > http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/index.html
> >
> > which wraps up the whole thing in a nice double-clickable installer.
> > There's even sample source code to compile/run/install. Hope this is
> > useful to someone.
> >
> > So, that's Hello World! out of the way. Now to get my hands dirty...
> >
> > -zoara-
>
> ooh had a download will have a play tonight or over weekend, cheers for
> that.

So how do you do stuff in colour then? :-)

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:30:47 AM

Woody <usenet@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <SPAM@wodger.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > zoara <me3@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > A few weeks back I posted a question about programming Palm applications
> > > on Mac OSX, and got some helpful replies. Today I finally got around to
> > > trying to get things running, only to find that the actual process
> > > wasn't exactly newbie-friendly (ie compiling from source).
> > >
> > > Then I found this:
> > >
> > > http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/index.html
> > >
> > > which wraps up the whole thing in a nice double-clickable installer.
> > > There's even sample source code to compile/run/install. Hope this is
> > > useful to someone.
> > >
> > > So, that's Hello World! out of the way. Now to get my hands dirty...
> > >
> > > -zoara-
> >
> > ooh had a download will have a play tonight or over weekend, cheers for
> > that.
>
> So how do you do stuff in colour then? :-)

haven't looked yet woody! ;)

roger
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:38:43 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Woody <usenet@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

[Palm programming from within xcode]

> So how do you do stuff in colour then? :-)

Oooh, good question. I'm still getting to grips with the "how do you lay
out your widgets on screen" problem. I'm guessing that the PilRC
translator thingy lets you specify colours, but <scoody doo> ri runno
</scooby doo>.

I did find this though, which might be useful:

http://www.classicteck.com
(download PalmBuilder)

It requires PilRC 3.0, which isn't included in the zenonez stuff (that's
2.9). As to how to get 3.0 or higher actually installed, I haven't
worked that one out yet, either....

-zoara-

--
My lozenge is a full earthy herbal lozenge incorporating a miscellanea
of weeds known for advancing sexual longing and performance, causing
an increase in sexual craving, a betterment in your volume and
execution, besides as increased energy and joy during sexual activeness.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:29:16 PM

zoara wrote:
> Woody <usenet@alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [Palm programming from within xcode]
>

>>So how do you do stuff in colour then? :-)
>

> Oooh, good question. I'm still getting to grips with the "how do you lay
> out your widgets on screen" problem. I'm guessing that the PilRC
> translator thingy lets you specify colours, but <scoody doo> ri runno
> </scooby doo>.
>
> I did find this though, which might be useful:
>
> http://www.classicteck.com
> (download PalmBuilder)
>
> It requires PilRC 3.0, which isn't included in the zenonez stuff (that's
> 2.9). As to how to get 3.0 or higher actually installed, I haven't
> worked that one out yet, either....

PilRC 3.2, the current version, can be downloaded from
http://sf.net/projects/pilrc. There's no Mac OS X binary, but you can
easily build it from source using the Makefile.

Palm OS forms don't allow specifying colors. The colors are provided by
the operating system based on the system palette. You can use color
bitmaps as part of your bitmap families.

I'd suggest you read the programming material in the developer section
of http://www.palmsource.com/.
!