XP boot problem

During start up, xp seems to be having problems with loading system files at boot. It all started when i was on aol one day and the thing just crashed. I rebooted and it started loading xp, but then it hdd activity stopped, and a blue screen flashed and it rebooted. I dont think its a blue screen of death, it happened so fast i couldnt read it. I then attemped to load in safe mode. Same thing, reboot. Then i told it to do safe mode with command prompt. It was showing me what files were being loaded, and it stopped in random places at files in the system32/drivers folder. I put the drive in another computer, and it did the same thing, so its not a hardware problem. What can i do to fix this? Im almost sure the only way is Format and start over... Thanks for any help
system specs
p2 400
128mb pc100
30.9 gig hd, seagate
ati rage 128
5 answers Last reply
More about boot problem
  1. You are correct. Starting over looks like it's most likely the only option.

JWR
  2. Never format your hard drive until you have exhausted all other possibilities.

1. Power down the PC.
    2. Power it Up.
    3. During BIOS initialization press F8 => get to the boot menu.
    4. Select "Last known good configuration". See if XP boots.

If the above fails and XP does not boot,

5. Use system repair disk or
    6. Run WinXP setup from a bootable CD-ROM and select the Repair option. (you may have to change boot device sequence in the BIOS to make the CD the first choice for a bootable device).

If none of the above solves the problem, you will have to format and install from scratch.

And, friend, WHY are you using AOL ??
  3. I already tried the last known good config. But havent tried to use a the repair option. Can a person install xp over itself? I think i tried this with win2k once, and it just installed a 2nd copy in another directory on the drive. But i forgot all about that repair opition in the setup.
    thanks, ill have to try it, Drew
  4. Look man, the only problem about reinstalling Windows over itself is when you have to determine the folder to install to. Windows detects a folder called "windows" or "winnt" and tries to install to another, BUT you can assign the instalation to the same folder.
  5. Quote:
    Look man, the only problem about reinstalling Windows over itself is when you have to determine the folder to install to. Windows detects a folder called "windows" or "winnt" and tries to install to another, BUT you can assign the instalation to the same folder

thats true, but thats not the only problem as you put it, wat about files that have been replaced by 3rd party apps, what about docs folders etc....

Anyway, the blue screen u show can be made to stay there, for future ref, go to system properties/advanced/start up & recovery, take tick out of automatically reboot.

anywy in your site I'd try a repair

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Windows XP