The accursed Medieval Madness Merlin's Saucer

I hit the ball in the saucer, it pops out sideways and rolls back into
play. Or worse, I hit the ball into the saucer, it ricochets out the
front ... and rolls straight down the middle.

>:-\

Is there a fix or mod that will make the ball STAY IN THE DAMNED SAUCER?!

*ahem* Sorry about the caps lock. Just a little bit frustrated because
this game IS tragic without Merlin's Saucer Magic ;-)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Virt
8 answers Last reply
More about accursed medieval madness merlin saucer

    A thin piece of foam (used to insulate windows, doors, ..) you stick
    onto the metal plate which stops the ball..
    The foam absorbs most of the energy so it does not bounce around.

    A picture of this is on my site.

    Aeneas.
    -- http://www.flippers.be

    Aeneas Verhe wrote:
    > A thin piece of foam (used to insulate windows, doors, ..) you stick
    > onto the metal plate which stops the ball..
    > The foam absorbs most of the energy so it does not bounce around.
    >
    > A picture of this is on my site.
    >
    > Aeneas.
    > -- http://www.flippers.be

    good advice. you have to tweak this shot to make it stick. until the
    gimli saucer on lotr came along, this was in the running for the worst
    designed shot in pinball history.

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    Virt, There's supposed to be a wire gate to stop the ball from comming
    forward. Even with the gate,it's still a finess shot.I like it.Check to
    see if it's there and stuck in the up position. If you need a pic,let
    me know. Good luck,Walt

    You can greatly improve the retention of this hole by moving the
    right-hand wall inward to guide balls to the center of the hole.

    Remove the plastic to the right of the approach lane (where the Trolls!
    insert is). Note the screw holding the right wall to the playfield -
    the screw closest to the hole. Remove this screw, push the wall to the
    left until the hole is visible just outside the mounting flange, then
    reinstall the screw on the flange (use a small washer to tighten
    against the flange).

    Also make sure the backstop is adjusted downward - it can get bent
    straight back after a while.

    This mod by itself should result in 80%-90% of shots staying in, maybe
    more depending on the machine.

    Virt U Al wrote:
    > I hit the ball in the saucer, it pops out sideways and rolls back into
    > play. Or worse, I hit the ball into the saucer, it ricochets out the
    > front ... and rolls straight down the middle.
    >
    > >:-\
    >
    > Is there a fix or mod that will make the ball STAY IN THE DAMNED SAUCER?!
    >
    > *ahem* Sorry about the caps lock. Just a little bit frustrated because
    > this game IS tragic without Merlin's Saucer Magic ;-)
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Virt

    >I hit the ball in the saucer, it pops out sideways and rolls back into
    >play. Or worse, I hit the ball into the saucer, it ricochets out the front
    >... and rolls straight down the middle.
    >
    > >:-\
    >
    > Is there a fix or mod that will make the ball STAY IN THE DAMNED SAUCER?!
    >
    > *ahem* Sorry about the caps lock. Just a little bit frustrated because
    > this game IS tragic without Merlin's Saucer Magic ;-)

    Add some washers where the screws attach the scoop to the pf (between the
    scoop and bottom of the pf). This will lower the scoop down 1/16" to 1/8".
    Also add some self adhesive felt pads to the face of the scoop catch, the
    type you use under a knick-knacks, to absorb the energy of the ball.

    I went from 4 out of 10 shots sticking to 9 out of 10...much better IMO.

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    "Koz Pinlicious" <pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote in

    > good advice. you have to tweak this shot to make it stick. until the
    > gimli saucer on lotr came along, this was in the running for the worst
    > designed shot in pinball history.

    I thought Gimli was intentionally designed that way, so that if you were
    playing on location and the flippers were completely worn out, that you
    could at least hit _something_.

    ....or at least, that's the _only_ rationale I can find for that miserable
    excuse for a shot! It's like the jar-jar shot, except no newton ball at
    the end. :)

    Thanks everyone for the great advice on how to fix Merlin and his
    accursed saucer.

    /me falls to knees and gives thanks for this newsgroup and its many
    goodnatured pinheads :-)

    Cheers,
    Virt

    Virt U Al wrote:
    > I hit the ball in the saucer, it pops out sideways and rolls back into
    > play. Or worse, I hit the ball into the saucer, it ricochets out the
    > front ... and rolls straight down the middle.
    >
    > >:-\
    >
    > Is there a fix or mod that will make the ball STAY IN THE DAMNED SAUCER?!
    >
    > *ahem* Sorry about the caps lock. Just a little bit frustrated because
    > this game IS tragic without Merlin's Saucer Magic ;-)
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Virt

    A piece of velcro ( the soft cloth side works well. also make sure the
    flat piece of spring metal is still riveted under the top of the
    gateway. The wire form hits it and it forces the gate back down, which
    helps keep the ball down.

    Virt U Al wrote:
    > Thanks everyone for the great advice on how to fix Merlin and his
    > accursed saucer.
    >
    > /me falls to knees and gives thanks for this newsgroup and its many
    > goodnatured pinheads :-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Virt
    >
    > Virt U Al wrote:
    >
    >> I hit the ball in the saucer, it pops out sideways and rolls back into
    >> play. Or worse, I hit the ball into the saucer, it ricochets out the
    >> front ... and rolls straight down the middle.
    >>
    >> >:-\
    >>
    >> Is there a fix or mod that will make the ball STAY IN THE DAMNED SAUCER?!
    >>
    >> *ahem* Sorry about the caps lock. Just a little bit frustrated
    >> because this game IS tragic without Merlin's Saucer Magic ;-)
    >>
    >> Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Virt

Games Video Games