Advice on new CPU

Ikthezeus

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking to build a "power" system to be used for gaming, and also video/audio rendering/encoding. It will also be used a lot for file compression/decompression on large files. I was just wondering which CPU I should go for (money not an issue), should I go for Intel or Athlon? 32/64/FX? Or should I just wait a while for the new breeds of CPU to be released?

Any help is appreciated :)

Tom.

Gaming = AMD
Right now Intel has the best encoding/decoding.

Advantage of going AMD with s939 is that you have the option of switching to a dual core CPU without upgrading the motherboard.

If money isn't a factor, then FX. For me it is a factor, so I would stick with the non-FX, Venice core 3500+ (hitting the streets now or very soon), get some quality RAM and OC it to 3800+ or 4000+ performance. If you're not interested in OCing, then the 3500+ or 3800+ - depending on what gives the best price/performance for you. Not OCing I would go with some good value type RAM like the Mushkin dual pack or OCZ value VX.

Out of curiosity, what is your current rig and why are you upgrading?

Ikthezeus

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
Hey Rugger

my current rig is Athlon 64 3200+, Gigabyte K8NNXP, 1gig DDR, Radeon 9800 Pro, WD 74gig 10k Raptor, 250Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10 SATA, Pioneer DVD RW drive.... don't think I've missed anything out :)

As for upgrading, my parents need a new comp,so I'm gonna give them this rig, or if they dont want it sell it 2my m8s, +also build myself a server maybe :)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
With that system, I'd just replace the video card for gaming, and put together a P4 for rendering... You've got a good game system there - maybe oc the 3200+ a bit or upgrade to the 3700+/3800+ if you really need more game speed, and get an X800/X850 or 6800GT for better video performance.

Mike.

As said earlier, you could upgrade your current system. The only objection that I have about that is the nF3 150 chipset. It's good, but defnitely want the nF3 250/250Gb or newer chipset (depending on socket). If I was going to upgrade your current system, then I would want to swap the mobo and the vid card. If I was going to swap the mobo, then I would seriously consider going the s939 route for future CPU upgrades. It depends on what you want to do and the money that you're willing to spend. It's definitely easier to just push your current system straight to the parents and build your own power machine from scratch. That also gets the parents up and running faster - always good to keep the Mum happy.

Personally, I would hand the current rig to the parents and go the new system route. You have the perfect excuse to build a new system and if you're anything like me, then you're just looking for an excuse anyway. :wink:

To save some money I would take that Raptor for your new rig. Format/reload everything onto that Maxtor. That or take both of those HDD and find a good deal on a smaller drive for the parents if they don't need 250GB. Those drives would save you over $300 in the new system - $200 after you factor in the new HDD for your parents.

Make the final decision on if you're going the upgrade or the new rig route and let us know. We'll keep helping with suggestions on components.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
If your going full tilt with a gaming rig, then might as well make it a 939 SLI board. I bought the MSI Neo4 SLI board, which didn't cost much more than the single VGA model. Definately keep the raptor, and whatever you do, don't skimp on the PSU. I upgraded from a Tt480W to an Enermax600W SLI Edition. With new boards, you can always count on some bios issues/bugs so make sure you can rule out power as one of those factors.

I personally don't recommend SLI unless price is absolutely not even on the scope and you have to have the fastest FPS at the highest resolutions with AA/AF enabled. I believe the price/performance ratio is thru the roof. An X850XTPE gives about 98% of the performance of a 6800GT SLI setup and can be had for about $369 less.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
The man previously stated that money is not an issue...I hear alot of people "not recommending" SLI when they've never had one. I can recommend my system, last time i checked, SLI rigs were wearing the performance crown. :)-woo7!

Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker PSU