Turion64: basically no match for Pentium M

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
...according to <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=turion64&page=1" target="_new">GamePC</A>

Overall system wattage is higher with Turion, and for less performance as well. In games, Dothan literally trounces Turion. Here's a quote:
I’m a bit under whelmed by the performance of our first generation Turion64 processors, especially in comparison to Intel’s latest generation Pentium-M chips.
In addition to that, there are only few chipsets that adequately support turion chips.

...even so, though, the Turion chips actually have more features (*cough* AMD64 *cough*) and boast quite respectable - though not excellent - performance, for what will probably be a lower price...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 04/26/05 04:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Having a hard time believing those benchies.. PM is an excellent gaming cpu, but a 1.6 GHz clearly beating a desktop A64 3400+ ? I don't think many other reviews agree.

As for power consumption.. wtf ? the *difference* between the Turion and PM system in iddle is roughly the *TDP* of either chip ! so whatever it is they are measuring, it sure has not a whole lot to do with battery life.

I'm quite willing to accept PM still is the better chip (albeit limited to 32 bits), but I'd wait for other reviews before saying that conclusively.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

endyen

Splendid
Or, to take it one step further, if the Turion is as hobbled as the A64, it in reality makes the PM look like a pos.
Reality check. If the mobile were able to trounce the A64s that well, we would be seeing a whole lot more s479 mobos, and a rush to sell gaming rigs with that chip.