Question: Location on ROMs on IJ. Yes I'm new!

Last response: in Video Games
September 16, 2005 8:14:18 AM

I purchased an Indiana Jones - my first pinball. It had outdated sound
and game ROMs so I purchased the updates.

I have scanned through the manual and I haven't found the location of
the exact chips I need to replace (there are lots of them!).

Does anyone have a photo or a schematic with a big circle around the
chips I need to replace?

I'd very much appreciate any help you can offer,

Thanks,

K.

More about : question location roms

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:56:15 AM

Just open the backbox and look at the cpu board (on the left small long
board) and search for a chip with a paper label on it (it's there to
cver the erasing window of the eprom) that's the game rom. Also look
for the soundboard (don't have any new dcs games but if i'm crrect it's
above the largest board in the head the driver board and there are
several eproms on it (agail ics covered with labels).
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:57:31 AM

Wonderful info, thankyou.

I had seen those pages in the manual but was not absolutely sure those
were the right chips. This is a great confidence booster!

Thanks again,

K.
September 16, 2005 11:01:08 AM

It should take 2 chips to update your IJ to the latest and greatest CPU and
Sound ROMS, unless it has some funky prototype roms in it.

First, unplug the machine and make sure you are grounded.

Do you have a manual? If not, buy one, they are very helpful in this hobby.
You can temporarily download an electronic copy from ipdb.org. The sound
board is shown on page 2-5. It is the board in the top row of the backbox,
2nd from the left. The sound chips run down the right side of that board.
Chip U2 contains the OS for the sound board, it is the lowest chip on the
left side. Carefully remove U2, noting the direction of the notch on the
chip. Install the replacement chip with the notch pointed in the same
direction as the original. Verify the chip is carefully inserted, and that
none of the legs of the chip rolled under the chip, or are hanging outside
the socket.

On page 2-10 of the manual is the CPU. The chip you want to replace on the
CPU is chip U6 - the 32 pin chip toward the top of the board. Above it is a
40 pin chip (the actual MPU) and below it is a 28 pin chip (the RAM). Pay
close attention to the notch on this chip as well. You'll want to insert the
replacement chip with the notch in the same direction. Once again, make sure
the legs of the chip don't roll under the chip or outside the socket.

It's unfortunate that my IJ is folded up and buried right now, I'd take some
pictures for you if I could get to it.

\--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"K Wilkens" <thewilkens@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I purchased an Indiana Jones - my first pinball. It had outdated sound
> and game ROMs so I purchased the updates.
>
> I have scanned through the manual and I haven't found the location of
> the exact chips I need to replace (there are lots of them!).
>
> Does anyone have a photo or a schematic with a big circle around the
> chips I need to replace?
>
> I'd very much appreciate any help you can offer,
>
> Thanks,
>
> K.

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:28:00 PM

"K Wilkens" write:
> I purchased an Indiana Jones - my first pinball. It had outdated sound
> and game ROMs so I purchased the updates.
>
> I have scanned through the manual and I haven't found the location of
> the exact chips I need to replace (there are lots of them!).
>
> Does anyone have a photo or a schematic with a big circle around the
> chips I need to replace?

We have some "chip replacement" instructions on our site- with step-by-step
pictures, etc. This may help.

See: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles section.

Hope that helps!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

September 17, 2005 8:25:53 AM

I love visuals! Thanks, those are exactly what I needed.

K.
!