Question: Location on ROMs on IJ. Yes I'm new!

I purchased an Indiana Jones - my first pinball. It had outdated sound
and game ROMs so I purchased the updates.

I have scanned through the manual and I haven't found the location of
the exact chips I need to replace (there are lots of them!).

Does anyone have a photo or a schematic with a big circle around the
chips I need to replace?

I'd very much appreciate any help you can offer,

Thanks,

K.
5 answers Last reply
More about question location roms

    Just open the backbox and look at the cpu board (on the left small long
    board) and search for a chip with a paper label on it (it's there to
    cver the erasing window of the eprom) that's the game rom. Also look
    for the soundboard (don't have any new dcs games but if i'm crrect it's
    above the largest board in the head the driver board and there are
    several eproms on it (agail ics covered with labels).

    Wonderful info, thankyou.

    I had seen those pages in the manual but was not absolutely sure those
    were the right chips. This is a great confidence booster!

    Thanks again,

    K.

    It should take 2 chips to update your IJ to the latest and greatest CPU and
    Sound ROMS, unless it has some funky prototype roms in it.

    First, unplug the machine and make sure you are grounded.

    Do you have a manual? If not, buy one, they are very helpful in this hobby.
    You can temporarily download an electronic copy from ipdb.org. The sound
    board is shown on page 2-5. It is the board in the top row of the backbox,
    2nd from the left. The sound chips run down the right side of that board.
    Chip U2 contains the OS for the sound board, it is the lowest chip on the
    left side. Carefully remove U2, noting the direction of the notch on the
    chip. Install the replacement chip with the notch pointed in the same
    direction as the original. Verify the chip is carefully inserted, and that
    none of the legs of the chip rolled under the chip, or are hanging outside
    the socket.

    On page 2-10 of the manual is the CPU. The chip you want to replace on the
    CPU is chip U6 - the 32 pin chip toward the top of the board. Above it is a
    40 pin chip (the actual MPU) and below it is a 28 pin chip (the RAM). Pay
    close attention to the notch on this chip as well. You'll want to insert the
    replacement chip with the notch in the same direction. Once again, make sure
    the legs of the chip don't roll under the chip or outside the socket.

    It's unfortunate that my IJ is folded up and buried right now, I'd take some
    pictures for you if I could get to it.

    \--
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "K Wilkens" <thewilkens@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I purchased an Indiana Jones - my first pinball. It had outdated sound
    > and game ROMs so I purchased the updates.
    >
    > I have scanned through the manual and I haven't found the location of
    > the exact chips I need to replace (there are lots of them!).
    >
    > Does anyone have a photo or a schematic with a big circle around the
    > chips I need to replace?
    >
    > I'd very much appreciate any help you can offer,
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > K.

    "K Wilkens" write:
    > I purchased an Indiana Jones - my first pinball. It had outdated sound
    > and game ROMs so I purchased the updates.
    >
    > I have scanned through the manual and I haven't found the location of
    > the exact chips I need to replace (there are lots of them!).
    >
    > Does anyone have a photo or a schematic with a big circle around the
    > chips I need to replace?

    We have some "chip replacement" instructions on our site- with step-by-step
    pictures, etc. This may help.

    See: www.actionpinball.com in the Technical Articles section.

    Hope that helps!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    I love visuals! Thanks, those are exactly what I needed.

    K.

Video Games