Venice, San Diego, Clawhammer, Newcastle - WTF????

I've been trying to find anywhere that clearly explains the differences between all these cores but no luck.

Does anyone know of any links that explain the differences???

"i'm not young enough to know everything"
-Oscar Wilde
26 answers Last reply
More about venice diego clawhammer newcastle
  1. Hope this helps

<A HREF="http:// www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif " target="_new">http:// www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif </A>
  2. link no work :(

-Oscar Wilde
  3. I just clicked on it and it opened, can somebody else check it?
  4. try this one <A HREF="http:// www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-10.html " target="_new">http:// www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-10.html </A>
  5. Tried it in IE... dosent work either ?

-Oscar Wilde
  6. That linked also not working in FF & IE !!!!!!!

-Oscar Wilde
  7. oh thats odd, i just asked someone of MSN to see if link works and tried it myself also and it now works..... weird!

-Oscar Wilde
  8. Ok I've seen the chart but it dosent cover the San Diego's or Venice's.

Is there any place that has a chart like that but includes these two newer cores becuase I'm utterly confused as to what core best suites my needs.

Ty.

-Oscar Wilde
  9. 1. Newcastle is socket 754 with 512KB cache and is based on .13 micron technology.
    2. Clawhammer is the older high performance core and can be found in both s754 and s939 CPUs. It has a 1MB cache and is also 130nm tech. Clawhammer core CPUs were clocked 200Mhz slower than similarly rated Newcastle core CPUs.
    3. Winchester was AMD's first 90nm tech chips and had a 512KB cache. A couple of the major advanctages over the Newcastle are less heat generated and dual channel capability for memory.
    4. Venice is the newest 90nm tech core from AMD. Same cache size is Winchester, but improvements were made to the memory controller to eliminate the system downclocking the FSB to 333Mhz (for stability) in the event that more than 4 ranks of memory were installed in the computer. It also removed a limitation the Winchester had in operating at sub-zero temps - sub-zero cooling is used for extreme OCing.
    5. San Diego is the new high performance core and features a 1MB cache. I haven't seen the clock differences between venice and San Diego so i can't comment there.

<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rugger on 04/26/05 06:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  10. Ok so the San Diego is just the same as the Venice except it has 512KB of extra cache???

Thanks.

-Oscar Wilde
  11. therse chips with 512<b>Kb</b> of cache, and 1MB. 512kb is half of 1MB

you keep saying 512MB of cache...

do you even know what all these terms mean? 90nm? dual channel? or are you just regurgitating what you read off sites

-------
    Work sucks.
  12. I'm just trying to figure out which core suits best what i'll be using the PC for.

SO San Diego is the same as venice except it has twice the size cache?????

-Oscar Wilde
  13. LOL! You mean they don't have 512MB? I must have been smoking some crack when I wrote that!

OMG plz answer my question!!!!!!!

Thanks!

-Oscar Wilde
  15. I was mocking myself - not you! I haven't edited mine yet!

I owned myself :(

-------
    Work sucks.
  17. so what are the differences between the San Diego & the Venice core's beside the extra cache size?

-Oscar Wilde
  18. Whats E3 & E4?

So San Diego core supports duel-core?

Whats duel core???

ROFL.

-Oscar Wilde
  19. <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif</A>

GAWD !!!

The loving are the daring!
  20. Ok so just to clarify, the E4's differneces to Venice is double the cache and support for duel core?

I heard somewhere the Venice has improved SSE3 or something.

Is this true and if so, what is SSE3 and alos, if E4's support duel core, how would one go about upgrading to duel-core once it comes out??

Thanks.

-Oscar Wilde
  21. FLinx that table shows no Venice or San diego cores.

-Oscar Wilde
  22. Quote:
    I heard somewhere the Venice has improved SSE3 or something.

SSE3 is just a repair for SSE2. It and $5 will buy a cup of coffee most places.
    Quote:
    if E4's support duel core, how would one go about upgrading to duel-core once it comes out??

If you already have a newer s939 board, you just put in the dual core chip.
  23. Ok thanks for info but it still isen't clear.

So Venice has a smaller cache size but has better SSE3 and Diego has bigger cache but not as good SSE3. Is that right??

-Oscar Wilde
  24. Forget the change in SSE3, and you have it.
  25. Ok and why are they called different names if the only differnce is in the cache size?

And also, what is the differance between the E3, E4 & the Wincester core? Wincester lack SSE3??

-Oscar Wilde
  26. first = winchester 90 nanotech
    second = E3 = winchester with SSE3
    Next = E4 = dual core
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs