I need help installing a new cpu

Spacelord

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2005
Hello! I've Asus A7V266-E mobo, recently updated bios to latest version which support up to 2600+ V1011. I was using an AMD 1800 xp until today, replaced it with a 2500 Barton. However, the clock speed can't be set higher than 1,48ghz in the bios! Why? I'm going to re-read my mobo manual in the meantime.

Did you get an Athlon XP mobile chip? If yes, then the multiplier has prob defaulted to 6X. Increase the multiplier to 10X in the BIOS.

Spacelord

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2005
What? No, it's a regular amd 2500 cpu barton. I checked my mobo, it's in jumper free mode, cpu is unlocked and i still can't reach it's regular speed.

What's your Front Side Bus (FSB) and multiplier in the BIOS?

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
The problem is that your board doesn't support a 166 FSB. The board only supports a 133 FSB. Your chip has a multiplier of 11. What does this mean?

133 x 11 = 1.46 GHz
166 x 11 = 1.82 GHz

Looks like you're stuck at 1.4. You need a board with a chipset that runs it's FSB at 166 MHz or faster to get your chip going full speed.

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!

Would've thought that Asus would allow incremental increases up to 200Mhz or so - my Soyo Dragon Plus does.

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Yeah, kinda sucks, but Asus has nothing whatsoever to do with it. It's VIA and the KT266 chipset. MSI, Gigabyte, Abit...all the manufacturers used KT266 chipsets. VIA followed the KT266 with the KT333 and the KT400, each of which had faster FSB.

Your chip is about 6 months too new for your board. Try and find a board with a KT333, KT400, or--better yet--an nForce 2 chipset if you want to run at 1.8 GHz. All of these are obsolete, but you can still find them retail for a song. The nForce 2 is an especially nice chipset...look for an Asus A7N8X board.

My Soyo has the KT266A and the BIOS supports up to 200Mhz FSB. I don't know if the mobo would be stable at those speeds, but the settings are in the BIOS.

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Yeah, some manufacturers have adjustable FSB settings in the BIOS. I doubt you'd get too far by OC'ing your FSB since your AGP & PCI busses would be dragged along for the ride. Assuming your board could take it and has an AGP/PCI lock, with fast RAM you could get things running at 1.8...in theory lol.

I agree...Epox made some of the best OC'ing boards around for the KT266A.