Sign in with
Your question

Installed a new cpu and my pc went boom

Last response: in CPUs
April 27, 2005 9:01:00 AM

Upgraded my 1800 xp to 2500 barton today, found out my a7v266-e mobo doesn't suppport it very well. ANyway i goto work with pc on as always and when i came back windows was frozen. Rebooted and after windows xp sp2 loads i get a blue screen saying theres a problem with hardware and windows stop to prevent damage. I played with bios a bit..downclocked the cpu..nope. I revert to my old cpu, Still can't boot. The POST is ok. I tried to boot from cd to repair windows..it reboots. I tried to format but it reboots. HELP!

More about : installed cpu boom

April 27, 2005 9:07:16 AM

Clear the CMOS, format the drive then re-install Windows with only the minimum of hardware. After installing Windows and SP2, then add the extra bits and pieces. Can't guarantee it will work, but it does minimise the risk.

:eek:  I'm the good time that was had by all :eek: 
April 27, 2005 9:26:53 AM

Temps?

BIOS update?

Welcome to my Shed of Pleasure<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ned_Flanders on 04/27/05 10:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
April 27, 2005 2:35:58 PM

lol...yeah, what ae your voltage rails?

3.3v
5v
12v

April 27, 2005 4:01:11 PM

First, the 2500+ has a fsb at 166(333) and your motherboard has the VIA kt266 chipset, which support CPU with fsb at 133(266). That means that your CPU wont run at what it was supposed to run, unless you cranck up the multiplier. Second, Since it is not in the list of supported CPU by your motherboard, then the BIOS would not recognize it too, and may have problems to put the right voltage/timing setup. That could lead to OS screwup, as it seem to be the case there..

better get a nforce2 board that support your CPU right on and reinstall Windows... You got a lesson here..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>
April 27, 2005 5:40:59 PM

I Went back to my old 1800 xp and it still wont boot. The mobo does support it, support up to 2600 with the latest bios which is installed. Let's say i can't use my 2500 with my mobo...okay but then why won't it work using my previous one?
April 27, 2005 6:13:04 PM

The 2600+ must be the TB version, with the 133 FSB. You should clear the CMOS and try again.. Unplug the computer, press the power switch to discharge what migh remain of electricity in your system and remove the batterie for 4-5 minutes. Then set the fsb to 133 in BIOS and try again.

April 27, 2005 6:28:31 PM

How can i clear the cmos?
April 27, 2005 6:53:58 PM

damn,... reread my last post!! And it should be explained in your mobo manual.. download it if you dont have it anymore ..

April 27, 2005 9:02:51 PM

My wife's MoB is an nForce2 she originally had an XP 2500+ at a FSB setting of 333 MHz the BUS jumper on her MoB is 3 pins, pin 2&3 support 333 and 400 MHz fsb it is currently running an XP 3200+ CPU and working fantastic but only at 2.1 GHz. The old Barton XP 2500+ we could run at 2.2 GHz but the 3200+ wont.

All this is I believe is a RAM issue because I do not think her RAM is totally supporting 200 MHz and the system locks on the post screen. Faster RAM will proly get the XP 3200+ up to 2.2 GHz without trouble. The 3200+ also will not support any Aggressive BIOS settings with the current RAM it crashes on post and you must clear the CMOS to get control back.

I am still very impressed with the ability's of the XP 2500+ CPU and if I had known the 3200+ issues prior on the nForce2 MoB I would not have bother purchasing the 3200+ cpu for her at all. Overall performance of the 3200+ can still be felt in an online game even if it is running at stock speed it does have a slight edge over the overclocked 2500+ but I believe this is a heat issue caused by the 2500+ getting to hot over long run times.

Overall I was not greatly impressed with the nForce2 ASUS MoB it's something you have to get used to tweaking before you get it rocking correctly. Tweaking will involve cost for cooling components and upgrading RAM to meet the 3200+ cpu requirements.

My FX makes her drool and we are in the process of building her an SLI system but we are waiting for the next build in supporting MoB and I want to see what Nvidia is going to shoot out next in the development of SLI cards.

Wating means I have not even botherd to look in months!!

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>
April 27, 2005 9:46:44 PM

I explained to Spacelord on another thread why his +2500 was only running at 1.4 GHz on his KT266 chipset yesterday, so I wasn't surprised to hear that his system has locked.

Your only hope is to clear the CMOS and try to reset the board to factory defaults. Follow the instructions the previous poster gave...find the little watch battery stuck on the board, pop it out, and then leave it for 10-15 minutes. Put it back in and with any luck your system will boot. Oh, and don't do this with the +2500 in. Go back to your +1800 and cross your fingers.

Do your homework with upgrades. AMD has a number of different AthlonXP's, all with different FSB speeds and cores. You ideally want to match the processor bus speed with the board FSB and Memory speeds so things run synchronously. ie. a +2500 chip with a KT333 motherboard and PC2700 RAM. Running things asynchronously is not efficient in an XP system.

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2005 10:47:50 PM

Make sure you unplug the power cord that goes to the PSU before you remove the battery.

April 28, 2005 4:19:18 AM

Thanks guys, i'll try to clear the CMOS now. My old 1800 isn't even T-bed it's palomino rofl. Question: is either of the cpu would be fried..it wouldn't even boot at all right? i fear i have damaged my 2500 ..i don't think i did tho.

If that doesn't work..im going to give my pc to a technician for him to replace the mobo tomorrow, i'll get an av7n8x asus mobo and 1gig of 2700 ram. If clearing the cmos brings it back..i'll wait a bit and do that myself..cuz tech dude is faster than ordering on ebay tho it's much more expensive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spacelord on 04/28/05 00:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 28, 2005 6:21:39 AM

Nope, clearing the cmos didn't help. I guess the mobo is damaged. Anyway, i'm going to change for another. Thanks everyone.
April 28, 2005 6:51:13 AM

Dont get pc2700. Pc3200 is the same price, will work fine, and may come in handy for a future upgrade.
May 3, 2005 9:11:18 PM

Update! I changed my mobo for an Asus A7n8x-x, 1go of 3200 ddram and brand new 160go hdd. I got it today, quickly plugged it in and booted from my old 40go hd as master and 160 one as slave...boom! same blue screen as before. Fine, windows is fuber cuz of new hardware i think so i set my previous as slave and new as master and try to install windows on it, nope blue screen of death again! So whatever! my old hdd is broke then so i set my new one as master, unplug the 40go hdd and proceed to install windows. Format and then it start copying files...i go downstairs to get a drink and when i came back up the pc was shut down. Wtf? start it..goes down 2 sec later. Ok i reboot again and check bios..cpu was at 96c!!! grr...i change my fan/heatsink to stock one..i was using a thermaltake one and it's fine. Re-try to install windows...blue screen of death again.

Crazy! i have NO idea what's wrong! the dude at puter store couldn't help me but his technician will look into it. First time in years i have to turn to professional help heh

Anyone has nay ideas here? as i stated before in the thread, it was doing that with both my 1800 and 2500 on my asus a7v266-e before. The 2500 barton i bought on ebay could be dead but then when i went back to my 1800 it should have worked fine but didn't. How come the same problem can happen TWICE on DIFFERENT hardware?
May 4, 2005 1:04:07 AM

Looks like nobody can help lol :( 
May 4, 2005 2:52:39 AM

It may be your Power supply. It must have shorted and fu&*#ed up your old motherboard. Now it might do the same with your new motherboard. I say you get that power supply replaced ASAP.

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.
May 4, 2005 4:15:29 AM

96C? You might already fried your processor..
I had a friend who didn't install his new 2400+ and never got his windows installed properly (keeps getting BSOD, and found out temp too high), after trying a while, his pc refused to boot anymore. He brought his pc to me, I tested his processor on my pc, no boot, but his pc works fine with mine. so conclusion: Processor was fried due to heat
May 4, 2005 6:25:20 AM

Impossible my old cpu would have fried as well.
May 5, 2005 3:08:06 AM

what was your old processor's temp?
May 5, 2005 4:23:36 AM

Normal, below 40c
My 2500 went back to below 40c when i ditched the thermaltake fan for the stock one.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spacelord on 05/05/05 00:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 5, 2005 12:19:06 PM

Maybe you put the thermaltake backward... the notch in the cooler should match the bump on the socket.. backward installation pervent full contact with the HSF to the CPU..

May 5, 2005 7:57:25 PM

Nah, it was installed right.
May 10, 2005 10:15:09 AM

You are really screwed now man!

AMD A64 3200+ Newcastle @ 2.4 Ghz
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1GB Corsair DDR400 ValueSelect (CL2.5) @ DDR440
Geforce MX440 64mb on FANLESS COOLING. It's OC'ed though =)
May 15, 2005 8:49:32 PM

Finally figured it out, the old mobo was indeed dead. It's just that one stick of the new ram i bought was dead so it gave me the same error ...that was confusing but at least it's working perfectly now. Thanks everyone!
!