Venice 3500+ on newegg

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
<A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103532" target="_new">Here</A>

How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing an nForce4 Ultra motherboard/CPU combo from the Venice/San Diego core?

If I needed the commputer, then I wouldn't wait. From what I've seen the Venice aren't that much more than the Winchesters if you preorder on Monarchcomputer.com - JMHO.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
It's not really a need. I want to upgrade sometime in the next couple of months and sooner is better than later. I was just wondering how long it might take for potential BIOS issues to reveal themselves and be fixed, etc...

The Venice core is not significantly different from the Winchester, so I don't expect that there will be a lot of BIOS flash/update requirements. It wouldn't be a major concern to me ro keep me from buying a system that I wanted. If you don't have a spare 3.5" FDD laying around the I would get one for flashing - it's easier than burning CDs IMO.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Speaking of BIOS flashing, my Asus P4P800 board has a Windows utility that flashes a BIOS to the board itself. I have used it a few times and it seems quite useful. So I have never copied one to a floppy and installed it from there. Do other mobo manufacturers have a similar program?

Not sure about that one, but i think there are some other mfrs that have similar features. best way to find out for sure is get a list of possible boards and then check the mfr websites.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
When will E4 support occur? Is that known by any source yet? Are there any San Diego benches out anywhere?

The more I look at prices the more I want to get a San Diego 3700+ instead of the Venice 3500+. I will wait to make my final decision after seeing some benchmarks, but for some reason 1 MB cache makes me feel all warm inside.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The Floppy BIOS updates are useful when your system can't boot into Windows because the BIOS is not able to recognize the CPU or have weird issue with the OS.

By the way, all MB-BIOS are Windows upgradable easily these days. All manufacturers have their own Windows flash utility.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>