Your question

Windows 7 Installation woes

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 21, 2012 5:52:52 AM

I am having a nightmare trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
to my machine. My PC used to run in Windows XP 32 bit but I decided to
jump to Window 7.

At first I installed Windows 7 using my old seagate 150gb hard disk.
Windows installed normally until it reached completing installation.
The computer restarts a couple of times then my screen goes blank
until my monitor goes into energy save mode (after waiting for 15 minutes)

So I decided to buy a new hard disk which is a 500GB Seagate Barracuda.

Here is the configuration of my machine:

Asus M3N72-D Motherboard

AMD Athlon 7850 dual core processor (cpu speed 2800 mhz)

500gb Seagate Barracuda

8gb DD2 PC2-6400 800mhz

HP DVD writer Drive

1gb Nvidia graphics card

500W Power supply

So I tried installing windows again and it does the same thing. After installing the updates, etc
when its about to complete installation, the pc restarts and brings the windows 7 logo
then my screen goes blank. I have already used the unallocated drive options, delete and created the
partition, format, etc and still get the same result. I think I have installed unistalled more than 30 times
now and still no go! Please I need help. This is getting to be frustrating. I tried installing the hard disk
to my other pc which runs a AMD quad core with 8gb ddr3 ram and 500gb hard and also using an asus
motherboard. This one went well but when I do it to the other pc (see specs above) no go. Please help!

Thanks in advance.

a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 6:47:45 AM

First check your RAM. Pop in the Win7 install disk, when you get the screen with the "Install Now" button don't click it, instead click the link to "Repair your PC". From the options presented choose the Memory Test.

Assuming the RAM is OK, next look at the graphics card. Your motherboard has an on-board one if the card you have mentioned above is a discrete/separate card, try removing it and preforming setup using the onboard adapter.

Last, look at the BIOS version there maybe a known bug that is corrected in a later release of the BIOS software.

If none of the above is helping, double check XP reinstalls to be sure this is a Win7 specific issue.
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:30:28 AM

Hi thanks for responding.

I tried using the repair PC and it did not detect any errors for the memory test.

For the graphics card, if I remove it and use the on-board, are you referring to the hdmi. Mine has a hdmi
outlet.

Lastly the bios, I tried to upload an updated release and it did but the same problem happens, Windows still hangs after it restarts a couple of times.

Also one thing I noticed when I tried installing windows 7 in the said hard disk to my other computer. The process seems faster about 4x faster.

I have not done the last one but prior to trying to install win7, the pc used to run in windows xp.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 22, 2012 2:45:56 AM

BlueHoplite said:
Hi thanks for responding.

I tried using the repair PC and it did not detect any errors for the memory test.

For the graphics card, if I remove it and use the on-board, are you referring to the hdmi. Mine has a hdmi
outlet.

Lastly the bios, I tried to upload an updated release and it did but the same problem happens, Windows still hangs after it restarts a couple of times.

Also one thing I noticed when I tried installing windows 7 in the said hard disk to my other computer. The process seems faster about 4x faster.

I have not done the last one but prior to trying to install win7, the pc used to run in windows xp.

If the drive you are installing to is SATA (which I'm assuming it is) go into the BIOS and make sure that the drive configuration is showing as AHCI. This can tend to cause it to read slower than normal.

As for eliminating your graphics card from the equation, yes it would be the HDMI port which is located between the S/PIDF and USB ports in the pic below:

If you eliminate that and the issue stops, you have a lemon graphics card.

Let us know!
m
l
December 22, 2012 3:17:34 AM

Thank you for the response.

First of, I tried changing the SATA from IDE to AHCI. But once it boots up, the windows logo animation pauses then restarts the machine. Then the loop goes on and on.

Second, I tried using a HDMI cable and inserted it to the monitor and PC. When I fire up the machine, no image appears.
m
l
December 22, 2012 3:39:08 AM

Hello to all!

Here's the result when I choose Window repair instead of install:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name StartuprepairOffline
problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.1685
problem signature 02: 6.1.7600.1685
problem signature 03: unknown
problem signature 04: 0
problem signature 05: External Media