question about getting cpu temp

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
i have a thermaltake case with a fan controller and temperature display. i wanted to know if everyone thinks its safe to use the temperature sensor that goes under the cpu (between the cpu and socket) it be nice to have but i want to be safe from damage

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
If that is the one where the temperature sensor regulates the speed of the fan then if properly installed it will be ok.

The loving are the daring!

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I think it will regulate the speed of the fans I know it also has a feature to set off and alarm if the temps get to high for either the case or cpu. I mentioned this sensor to someone I work with (we're both in IT) he said he thought it was probably ok but both of us were unsure if the wire's cover would melt? that is a hot spot to be.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
It won't melt. I work with thermocouples at work that are 30 gauge wire (super small) with a thin coating on the tip and they are good for over 1000ºF. I think some of the temp sensors for CPU's are also thermocouples. It may look fragile, but they can handle it.

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Thanks for sharing your experence, I would think with a case this expensive from a good company it should be fine. It also came with a sticker to hold it to the underside of the cpu, I assume this should also be fine with the heat as we;;?

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I actually have a Thermaltake case and used the CPU probe on my previous mobo, it was great. Every time I checked the CPU bios temp. the difference on the front panel temp. was maybe a degree or two. I also had the front fan controllers for the HSF, PSU, and 4 seperate case fans. I ditched the case fan controller because of the insane amount of wires involved. I always kept the PSU knob cranked all the way up. The HSF controller gave me trouble however, if I dared to turn it down past a certain point, the system would instantly shut down. Maybe my CPU shutdown temps were too low, but I never bothered checking before I put a new system in it. Now my cpu probe is just dangling in the case. Gotta get some more thermal tape and then under the CPU it goes again.

Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker PSU