Major system problem.....help??

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
My computer keeps "cycling" from startup to windows then restarts again.....

1. I turn on the computer
2. The computer begins to boot, makes it to the drivers screen, and then defaults to a page which says, "it's sorry for inconvenience of the program, or system shutting down, blah blah blah...." and on the same page it gives me the option to continue by choosing Regular system boot, Safe Mode, Safe mode Network capability, etc, etc....
3. I choose regular system boot (or any of the others)
4. The system continues to boot, begins starting Windows, and then beeps, flashes a Blue screen with white writing...."has problem......." I can't read the rest because it flashes to quick.
5. the cycle starts again
6. Windows XP Upgrade. (ie '98 kernel?)

Any suggestions??

The reason this is sooooo important to boot back up is that I need to get to my Microsoft Money (checking account). I recently lost my check book, credit cards and license.....anyway, my checking account has to be cancelled and I need to verify check numbers, etc....

Man, when it rains, it pours!!!

I think I'll try:
1. remove a ram chip to see if it's ram. (I have two chips, 512Mb each)
2. Replace the harddrive. If I replace the old harddrive (Raptor 74mb), does the new harddrive need to be in the SATA1 port (ie like a "master" in the old ATA drives), and then I'll put my old harddrive in SATA2. that way I can hopefully access the old harddrive after I load XP onto the new harddrive (SATA1).

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
The behaviour is typical of many kinds of nonfatal hardware problems as well as a very good likelihood of viruses/trojans/malware/spyware etc.

The loving are the daring!

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Okay, I finally was able to read the blue screen, here's what it says:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_or_EQUAL

Recommended disable caching or shadowing.

Technical information:
** Stop: 0x0000000A (0x0040001c, 0x000000002, 0x00000000, 0x8C4F19D2)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

It looks like a memory problem to me? I have two sticks of Corsair Ram (512 each). I even pulled each one, in order to if one of the sticks was good or bad. But, the blue screen or problems still happened. Both sticks are bad?? The sticks are only 2 months old. I also removed the battery that resets the CMOS. That seemed to help, as it allowed me to once again use my diskette/CDROM and load drivers.

Another fact......
I purchased a new harddrive lastnite in order to install clean OS and then access my old hard drive via the new. I made it all the way to the start of windows XP loading, when it began giving me the below message, and eventually the blue screen above......

Setuperr.log
load library error 126
could not register OLE Control C:\windows\system32\netshell.dll

and, C:\windows\system32\netman.dll

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SmokinBarrel on 04/28/05 09:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Run <A HREF="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4226.html" target="_new">Memtest86+</A> and report the errors you get - if any. I believe that error can also be due to drivers. Here is a list of <A HREF="http://kadaitcha.cx/stop_err.html" target="_new">Windows XP Stop Errors</A>.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode yet?

Could use the recovery console to rebuilt the system32 files and that should get you back into windows enough to collect the bank data you need but one or the other, you'll need fdisk, format, reinstall; Do Dah! Do Dah!

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Could also use knopix to extract those bank files as well.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I would also check the CPU temp, FAN and power supply.

Those can cause memory problems too.

Just had a machine do the same thing to me yesturday.

Tunred out the fan was not working properly, defenestrating the CPU fan ended it's miserable life. Luckily I had another fan laying around.

In my case, I hooked up a new harddrive as master, with the current hard drive as a secondary. Sure enough after booting off the new drive there were no problems. And files were recovered.

The bad fan ultimately caused errors in windows. A CPU overheating can cause the same problems.

Hope this helps a little.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem