Issue with old hdd

ltd8585

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
hello I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right section or not but my issue is that I pretty much rebuilt my computer. And I'm using my old hdd and I figured that I would need to re-install my windows 7 to get it working with all my new hardware. But I can't figure out how to re-install without going to the desktop. And I get errors when I try to go to the desktop so I can't seem to do it there.

If you are wanting to do a true clean install of Windows, it is best to boot to the CD/DVD that has Windows 7 on it.

You can do this by either going into the BIOS and making the CD/DVD drive the first option in the boot order or possibly going to the boot menu (depending on the motherboard).

If you're not sure how to do either of these things, post what type of motherboard you have and we will try to lend a hand.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
There's usually a key you can press to get a boot menu where you can select which device to boot from, which will save you the need to muck with the BIOS. Usually control, F8 or F12. Once you get to the boot menu, select the drive you put the Windows disc in.

ltd8585

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012

Thanks I have a ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard.

That motherboard has a UEFI software host on it which makes it EXTREMELY user friendly.

You should be able to to press either F2 or DEL to get to the BIOS.

You can get to the users guide for the ASROCK you have from HERE.

I didn't run across an option for a boot menu but typically it is F12 on newer motherboards.

ltd8585

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012

Thanks I was able to find the BIOS not sure if you know anything about this or not but under the UEFI instant flash update utility says that there is no image file detected. I went to the boot menu and it shows that I have my hard drive and dvd reader. You have any clue why it is not reading it?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I have the exact same board. Press F11 when it's booting up to choose your Windows disc to boot into the installer.

Awesome motherboard, overclocks like a champ. The overclocks in my sig were both done with the same Extreme6 and a cheap $35 cooler.

Anyway, you do not want to flash. Please do not ever go blindly poking about flashing options, it can literally kill your hardware. It's for replacing the firmware to update it to a newer model, and if it fails, recovery can be difficult.

Also, your DVD reader is what you want to boot into. The BIOS has no idea what disc is in there, it just knows it's a DVD drive.