Newer palm emulation on Mac OSX?

January 7, 2005 1:11:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.mac (More info?)

How can I emulate/simulate a newer Palm (eg Treo 600, Tungsten, Zire,
anything HiRes/colour) on Mac OSX? I have googled without success.

Downloading the Palm OS Emulator and available ROMs from the PalmSource
Developer Pavilion only gives me the choice of a Palm IIIx, Palm V and
Palm Vx. The Tungsten E simulator at PalmOne's PluggedIn website is
Windows only.

Surely HiRes colour screened Palms can be emulated on OSX? This
screenshot implies they can:

http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/images/ss_prctoolsx-em...

It is linked from this page:

http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/try.html

And someone has asked a question about it (but got no answer) here:

http://www.zenonez.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103

Finally, is there a newsgroup dedicated to Palm programming which will
likely be able to assist with Mac-related questions like the above?

Many thanks in advance,

-zoara-

--
My lozenge is a full earthy herbal lozenge incorporating a miscellanea
of weeds known for advancing sexual longing and performance, causing

In article <1gpzmkq.10n8rrdneu4mbN%me3@privacy.net>, nettid1@fastmail.fm wrote:

> How can I emulate/simulate a newer Palm (eg Treo 600, Tungsten, Zire,
> anything HiRes/colour) on Mac OSX? I have googled without success.
>
> Downloading the Palm OS Emulator and available ROMs from the PalmSource
> Developer Pavilion only gives me the choice of a Palm IIIx, Palm V and
> Palm Vx. The Tungsten E simulator at PalmOne's PluggedIn website is
> Windows only.

There are currently no Palm OS Garnet or Cobalt simulators for the Mac
platform, from PalmSource or PalmOne.

The Palm OS Emulator is for pre-OS5 (Garnet) devices.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:06:33 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:06:32 +0000, Guy Bannis wrote:

> The Palm OS Emulator is for pre-OS5 (Garnet) devices.

Garnet _is_ OS5. I'm not sure what the codename for OS4
and earlier devices was (or even if there was one).

POSE emulates OS4 and earlier devices. These are not
Garnet devices. Just wanted to clear up that error in your post.
January 7, 2005 2:32:36 AM

zoara wrote:

> How can I emulate/simulate a newer Palm (eg Treo 600, Tungsten, Zire,
> anything HiRes/colour) on Mac OSX? I have googled without success.
>
> Downloading the Palm OS Emulator and available ROMs from the PalmSource
> Developer Pavilion only gives me the choice of a Palm IIIx, Palm V and
> Palm Vx. The Tungsten E simulator at PalmOne's PluggedIn website is
> Windows only.

All the simulators are Windows-only as of right now. And they
are not emulators, but simulators. Which means that they don't
emulate the hardware and run the same OS; instead, the OS has been
ported to Windows and runs natively as a Windows app.

> Surely HiRes colour screened Palms can be emulated on OSX? This
> screenshot implies they can:
>
> http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/images/ss_prctoolsx-em...

The skin that shows is an m505, which is a low-res color Palm. It
can be emulated on the Mac. I emulate an m505 on OS X and use
that for 95% of my testing, then I test on a real device if I need
to see something in high-density, or FTP over to a Windows machine
and test if I need to test against an individual model's simulator.

To run the m505 emulator on OS X, you just need the latest emulator
(version 3.5?) and the appropriate ROM file.

> Finally, is there a newsgroup dedicated to Palm programming which will
> likely be able to assist with Mac-related questions like the above?

There is codewarrior.palm. It's officially only about the Codewarrior
environment, but people ask general Palm questions there too, esp.
now that Codewarrior isn't really being made for Palm anymore.

There's also a Palm mailing list you can find on the developers'
section at palmsource.com (assuming you can even get in to the
developers' part of the site; they've been having problems lately).
I subscribe to the mailing list and have my mail client filter it
into its own mailbox (which is easy because there is some easily
identifiable header line they add to every message), so reading
it is much the same experience as reading a newsgroup.

- Logan
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:49:59 AM

zoara wrote:

> How can I emulate/simulate a newer Palm (eg Treo 600, Tungsten, Zire,
> anything HiRes/colour) on Mac OSX? I have googled without success.
>
> Downloading the Palm OS Emulator and available ROMs from the PalmSource
> Developer Pavilion only gives me the choice of a Palm IIIx, Palm V and
> Palm Vx. The Tungsten E simulator at PalmOne's PluggedIn website is
> Windows only.
>
> Surely HiRes colour screened Palms can be emulated on OSX? This
> screenshot implies they can:
>
> http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/images/ss_prctoolsx-em...
>
> It is linked from this page:
>
> http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/try.html
>
> And someone has asked a question about it (but got no answer) here:
>
> http://www.zenonez.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103
>
> Finally, is there a newsgroup dedicated to Palm programming which will
> likely be able to assist with Mac-related questions like the above?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> -zoara-

As far as I remember, neither color nor the resolution is the problem, I
think the newer ARM-processors and the new Palm OS 5 is the problem.
So I what you see there is a m505 - Emulation, which as far as I remember
used color-screen on a 160x160 resolution with Palm OS 4.xx on some
Motorola-Dragonball-Processor, which are perfectly emulated...

Anyway , as far as I know there is now real solution for Mac OSX.
Maybe, if wine runs on Max OSX?
( I just googled a little bit around and found this:
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/ )

Good luck
Jogi

--
The particular mistake will not be repeated. There are plenty of
mistakes left that have not yet been used.          A. Tanenbaum

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:06:32 +0000, Guy Bannis wrote:
>

>>The Palm OS Emulator is for pre-OS5 (Garnet) devices.
>

> Garnet _is_ OS5. I'm not sure what the codename for OS4
> and earlier devices was (or even if there was one).

I think it was just a bit of confusion about operator precendence.
I parsed the sentence as

The Palm OS Emulator is for pre-{OS5 (Garnet)} devices.

rather than

The Palm OS Emulator is for {pre-OS5} (Garnet) devices.

Well, now that I think about it, it's not actually operator
precedence; instead, it's some other kind of rules of the
grammar. But you get the idea.

- Logan
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 8:45:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.mac (More info?)

In article <pan.2005.01.07.03.48.13.884808@gnu-designs.com>, "David A.
Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:06:32 +0000, Guy Bannis wrote:
>
> > The Palm OS Emulator is for pre-OS5 (Garnet) devices.
>
> Garnet _is_ OS5. I'm not sure what the codename for OS4
> and earlier devices was (or even if there was one).
>
> POSE emulates OS4 and earlier devices. These are not
> Garnet devices. Just wanted to clear up that error in your post.

There was no error.
!