Q: FOR STERN AND OTHERS REGARDING PLASTICS ON PF

Is it possible to make these out of Lexan? Is their a cost issue?
several plastics cracked and broken already . JR
18 answers Last reply
More about stern plastics

    Lexan was experimented with by WMS in 93 (STTNG sets), it yellows too
    easily so they abandoned the idea.

    I like the idea of putting protective washers underneath - don't some
    of the new sterns come like this? (Or was that just the locations'
    preventative measures?)

    Are they putting extra slings etc. inside these new games like Wms used
    to do?
    Bill

    On 16 Sep 2005 09:39:31 -0700, "seymour-shabow@excite.com"
    <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:

    >Lexan was experimented with by WMS in 93 (STTNG sets), it yellows too
    >easily so they abandoned the idea.

    I asked Frank at Orbit Pinball about this. He said the material he
    uses shouldn't yellow, but his stuff probably hasn't been out long
    enough to establish a track record.

    Maybe it yellows from heavy heat from the bulbs so in Home use it would
    be ok, but commercial out?

    I've seen no data that suggests that polycarbonate has a problem with
    yellowing. In fact most data shows the opposite. Of course the
    formulations for creating polycarbonate may have changed since 1993 when
    Williams was testing the stuff. Remember to be careful with calling Lexan
    "Polycarbonate". Lexan is ONE brand name of polycarbonate. There are many
    other manufactures that offer different versions, some with extra UV
    protection. Lexan also offers a Lexan XL polycarbonate that is even more UV
    resistant than the base priced polycarbonate produced under the Lexan name.
    PETG also falls into this category. It depends on the grade or type you
    purchase.

    --

    -Frank Gant
    http://orbitpinball.com

    "Kenbo" <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> wrote in message
    > On 16 Sep 2005 09:39:31 -0700, "seymour-shabow@excite.com"
    > <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Lexan was experimented with by WMS in 93 (STTNG sets), it yellows too
    >>easily so they abandoned the idea.
    >
    > I asked Frank at Orbit Pinball about this. He said the material he
    > uses shouldn't yellow, but his stuff probably hasn't been out long
    > enough to establish a track record.

    What game? Maybe you can get a replacement set from Stern while they're
    still being made (if it's a current game). Then build/buy some protectors
    for the more vulnerable ones. We've done this on a few games- 4 different
    protectors we custom-made and installed on all new Monopoly pins a few years
    back- may still have some pics/info on our site- www.actionpinball.com

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    <pinball77@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to make these out of Lexan? Is their a cost issue?
    > several plastics cracked and broken already . JR

    No. Worse, high-breakage items aren't offered individually - you must
    buy the entire set...and they ain't cheep!

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    bheath8295@aol.com wrote:
    > Are they putting extra slings etc. inside these new games like Wms used
    > to do?
    > Bill

    seymour-shabow@excite.com wrote:
    > Lexan was experimented with by WMS in 93 (STTNG sets), it yellows too
    > easily so they abandoned the idea.
    >
    > I like the idea of putting protective washers underneath - don't some
    > of the new sterns come like this? (Or was that just the locations'
    > preventative measures?)

    Both of mine have washers under the slings. However, they are
    sandwiched between the sling and post nut. This would not be a problem
    but BOTH of mine (and a MPLY I service), when I removed them to install
    them under the post nut, took off some paint from the underside of the
    sling. I guess the sling paint wasn't cured properly before
    installation.

    So, DO NOT PULL THE WASHER OFF THE BOTTOM SIDE OF A STERN SLINGSHOT
    PLASTIC! Just leave it there and install another washer under the nut
    if you prefer that mounting method (I do).

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    Ray,

    It was my understanding (and I very well may be wrong) that most
    chipped slings came from ball contact *from underneath*, such as an
    orbit shot & return to a flipper, then full-force smack from the
    flipper causes the airball straight into the sling corner and -POP-
    there it goes. I think the washer under the plastic only does give some
    protection, but I think a really hard shot would still snap the corner
    off, even with the washer in place. With the washer under the nut,
    there's no way a ball can hit the plastic from below. If the slings are
    getting broken from errant airballs, it's probably best to leave the
    washer immediately under the plastic for support. Until I break one on
    my games, the washers go under the nut.

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote:
    > > Both of mine have washers under the slings. However, they are
    > > sandwiched between the sling and post nut. This would not be a problem
    > > but BOTH of mine (and a MPLY I service), when I removed them to install
    > > them under the post nut, took off some paint from the underside of the
    > > sling. I guess the sling paint wasn't cured properly before
    > > installation.
    >
    > Good advice.
    >
    > We add protective washers to most of the used games we restore and sell, and
    > have always mounted them on top of the star post, and under the screw/stud
    > that goes through the star post (so between post and screw). Then the
    > plastic sits on top of the hex portion of the screw. That way, you don't
    > have any contact between washer and plastic, yet still get essentially the
    > same protection. Lets a little more light in under the plastic (over the
    > washer), too, so doesn't stand out as much.
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

    Full plastics sets for Stern games are relatively inexpensive compared to
    sets from other manufacturers. For example, we retail the LOTR plastics set
    NOS for $78.98. IPB, Pinball Resource, Pinball Express, etc. are charging-
    what- $175 to $200 for a set of repro MM, CV, Kiss, etc? Ouch!

    Stern were putting a spare set of slingshot bumper plastics in new games up
    until a few years ago, but don't anymore- not sure why. But always a good
    idea to grab a spare full set if/when you can- especially while they're
    available. And especially if they're pretty economical, as I think they are.
    $78.98 for LOTR set is a no-brainer for me. At $200 for repros of MM, etc.
    from IPB, I have to really think about it before reaching for my wallet...

    Ray J.
    --

    <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote:
    > Both of mine have washers under the slings. However, they are
    > sandwiched between the sling and post nut. This would not be a problem
    > but BOTH of mine (and a MPLY I service), when I removed them to install
    > them under the post nut, took off some paint from the underside of the
    > sling. I guess the sling paint wasn't cured properly before
    > installation.

    Good advice.

    We add protective washers to most of the used games we restore and sell, and
    have always mounted them on top of the star post, and under the screw/stud
    that goes through the star post (so between post and screw). Then the
    plastic sits on top of the hex portion of the screw. That way, you don't
    have any contact between washer and plastic, yet still get essentially the
    same protection. Lets a little more light in under the plastic (over the
    washer), too, so doesn't stand out as much.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    True, *by comparison* Stern plastics are affordable, and pretty
    comparable to WMS pricing, allowing for inflation and petroleum prices.
    However, when you only need a pair of slings, $80 to get them is pretty
    steep. I agree though, I bought a set of plastics (and more) for both
    of my new Sterns. Indeed a no-brainer.

    Those repros from IPB are crazy overpriced. Either they didn't make
    near enough to keep costs reasonable, or they are making hellaprofit
    off 'em. Once again they should be making in volume to keep costs down,
    then sell a few to all the distributors & parts houses and let them eat
    the shelf-life. But no.

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > Full plastics sets for Stern games are relatively inexpensive compared to
    > sets from other manufacturers. For example, we retail the LOTR plastics set
    > NOS for $78.98. IPB, Pinball Resource, Pinball Express, etc. are charging-
    > what- $175 to $200 for a set of repro MM, CV, Kiss, etc? Ouch!
    >
    > Stern were putting a spare set of slingshot bumper plastics in new games up
    > until a few years ago, but don't anymore- not sure why. But always a good
    > idea to grab a spare full set if/when you can- especially while they're
    > available. And especially if they're pretty economical, as I think they are.
    > $78.98 for LOTR set is a no-brainer for me. At $200 for repros of MM, etc.
    > from IPB, I have to really think about it before reaching for my wallet...
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    >

    > <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > No. Worse, high-breakage items aren't offered individually - you must
    > > buy the entire set...and they ain't cheep!
    > >
    > > -cody
    > > CARGPB#4
    > >

    > > bheath8295@aol.com wrote:
    > > > Are they putting extra slings etc. inside these new games like Wms used
    > > > to do?
    > > > Bill

    On the games I have added clear washers to (under the post nut) I have
    had an increase of balls getting stuck UNDER the plastic/over the
    rubber. I'm guessing it's because the whole plastic is higher, creating
    more chance for an airball to get under there. Fortunately, at my
    friend's office where my games are, they are smart enough to turn off
    the game immediately when this happens and the slingshot kicker starts
    firing like crazy.

    That is probably due to the thickness of the plastic washers. I have
    not had any traps on any of my games that have metal washers.

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    miracleman wrote:
    > On the games I have added clear washers to (under the post nut) I have
    > had an increase of balls getting stuck UNDER the plastic/over the
    > rubber. I'm guessing it's because the whole plastic is higher, creating
    > more chance for an airball to get under there. Fortunately, at my
    > friend's office where my games are, they are smart enough to turn off
    > the game immediately when this happens and the slingshot kicker starts
    > firing like crazy.

    "dunno why they quit..."

    I would wager any amount it is to reduce the bottom line to keep the
    product price appealing, or to maximize profit per unit. Maybe those
    two are mutually inclusive?

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > Agreed- would be nice at least if they put *2* sets of slings in the
    > plastics set, but again, still $80 or so....
    >
    > I remember at one point you could actually order just the sling plastics
    > (one or both) for ST:TNG from Williams. Maybe they had doubles of those in
    > the whole set when made? Wouldn't be a bad idea for Stern to do- relatively
    > no cost to do it when making a whole set/sheet...dunno why they quit...
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    >

    > <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > True, *by comparison* Stern plastics are affordable, and pretty
    > > comparable to WMS pricing, allowing for inflation and petroleum prices.
    > > However, when you only need a pair of slings, $80 to get them is pretty
    > > steep. I agree though, I bought a set of plastics (and more) for both
    > > of my new Sterns. Indeed a no-brainer.
    > >
    > > Those repros from IPB are crazy overpriced. Either they didn't make
    > > near enough to keep costs reasonable, or they are making hellaprofit
    > > off 'em. Once again they should be making in volume to keep costs down,
    > > then sell a few to all the distributors & parts houses and let them eat
    > > the shelf-life. But no.
    > >
    > > -cody
    > > CARGPB#4
    > >

    > > Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > > > Full plastics sets for Stern games are relatively inexpensive compared
    > > > sets from other manufacturers. For example, we retail the LOTR plastics
    > set
    > > > NOS for $78.98. IPB, Pinball Resource, Pinball Express, etc. are
    > charging-
    > > > what- $175 to $200 for a set of repro MM, CV, Kiss, etc? Ouch!
    > > >
    > > > Stern were putting a spare set of slingshot bumper plastics in new games
    > up
    > > > until a few years ago, but don't anymore- not sure why. But always a
    > good
    > > > idea to grab a spare full set if/when you can- especially while they're
    > > > available. And especially if they're pretty economical, as I think they
    > are.
    > > > $78.98 for LOTR set is a no-brainer for me. At $200 for repros of MM,
    > etc.
    > > > from IPB, I have to really think about it before reaching for my
    > wallet...
    > > >
    > > > Ray J.
    > > > --
    > > > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > > > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > > > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    > > >
    > > > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    > > >

    > > > <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > used

    You are exactly right- it's my understanding too that they break from balls
    coming up from the flipper area rather than down.

    Ray J.
    --

> [...]

    good
    > > idea to grab a spare full set if/when you can- especially while they're
    > > available. And especially if they're pretty economical, as I think they
    are.
    > > $78.98 for LOTR set is a no-brainer for me. At $200 for repros of MM,
    etc.
    > > from IPB, I have to really think about it before reaching for my
    wallet...

    > > Ray J.
    > > --
    > > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    > >
    > > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    > >

    > > <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > No. Worse, high-breakage items aren't offered individually - you must
    > > > buy the entire set...and they ain't cheep!

    Or flexibility of the plastic vs. metal. Maybe it's "giving" upward more,
    catching the ball, and pinching it in there...

    Ray J.
    --

    > That is probably due to the thickness of the plastic washers. I have
    > not had any traps on any of my games that have metal washers.
    >
    > -cody
    > CARGPB#4
    >

    > miracleman wrote:
    > > On the games I have added clear washers to (under the post nut) I have
    > > had an increase of balls getting stuck UNDER the plastic/over the
    > > rubber. I'm guessing it's because the whole plastic is higher, creating
    > > more chance for an airball to get under there. Fortunately, at my
    > > friend's office where my games are, they are smart enough to turn off
    > > the game immediately when this happens and the slingshot kicker starts
    > > firing like crazy.

Games Video Games