SPYBOT 1.3

I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?
18 answers Last reply
More about spybot

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:48:24 GMT, EB <ebellety@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
    >Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?

    Yes, the company that makes Spybot strongly recommends it.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>

    Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
    Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

    .... and well worth doing! The developers of both Spybot and Ad-Aware are
    closely tracking the development of all the evil bots, worms, zombies, and
    wares. Both are issuing regular updates to the definition files used to
    eliminate all this rot from computers. Last week alone, Ad-Aware made available
    two (or was it three?) updates. The frequency of updates is indicative of the
    frenetic activity of the slimy bastards who write all this stuff to mess up
    computers... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:32 -0500, SgtRich <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:48:24 GMT, EB <ebellety@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
    >>Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?
    >
    >Yes, the company that makes Spybot strongly recommends it.
    >--
    ><<<SgtRich>>>
    >
    >Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
    >Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
    >Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

    If you install Spybot 1.3, you might want to enable a small feature
    they have called "Tea Timer." It offers additional protection, which is
    always useful if you're using Internet Explorer.

    "EB" <ebellety@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
    > Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?

    > I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
    > Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?

    I have a bit of a newbie guide to the older 1.2 version here, which
    although slightly out of date now (some stuff has been moved within the
    new version of Spybot) might be of use

    www.phoenixbbs.co.uk

    I also have some real newbie security tips, and links to other handy
    anti-spyware apps / emergency AV utils.

    Ignore my elite html skills - they don`t exist :-p

    EB <ebellety@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
    >Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?

    A little late with this response. I too had SB 1.2 installed.
    After seeing your post yesterday, I went to their site and
    downloaded 1.3. Yes, you should uninstall 1.2 before installing
    1.3.

    I had made the mistake of installing 1.2 without uninstalling the
    previous 1.1 version of Spybot. In my XPPro "Add/Remove"
    programs, only the 1.1 version appeared, and when I clicked on
    it, XP merely opened SB 1.2. Fortunately, the "File" drop down
    menu in 1.2 included an "Uninstall from Registry option". Using
    that choice, SB apparently removed all of its registry entries.
    I was then prompted to manually delete the SB 1.1
    directories/files.

    I then had to again go to the "Add/Remove" program menu, where
    the SB 1.1 entry remained. This time, XP told me "I can't find
    SB 1.1, should I delete this item from the Add/Remove Menu?
    Y/N?" That took care of it. SB 1.3 installed like a charm. I
    left the default checks in - which include registry checks, so
    that I could a) do a double check on things that 1.2 had been
    doing and b) redecide what items to ignore. E.g., SB likes to
    clear "last document(s) used" registry entry lists, lest a new
    piece of spyware get in between checks and seek out info like
    that. What good knowing my last Word document used was
    "Reliability, Maintainability, and Availability Analysis of the
    AN/SQQ-89(V)15 Sonar System" {all 800 pages of it} will do for
    someone like Cydoor is beyond me, so I eliminate that item from
    future SB registry checks. Still and all, I do let SB do some
    registry checks. Here, again, it has highlighted some items my
    other registry checker tool has missed, and checks some things it
    doesn't try to.

    I do recommend using 1.3. The SB 1.2 reference file updates
    ceased last May after 1.3 was released. I was wondering about
    that, and was going to check for a program update when I got a
    round tuit. Your post made that RSN ["real soon now"] become
    now, EB. Thanks.
    --
    OJ III

    >Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >EB <ebellety@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have Spybot 1.2 installed. I notice that Version 1.3 is available.
    >>Do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new version?
    >
    >A little late with this response. I too had SB 1.2 installed.
    >After seeing your post yesterday, I went to their site and
    >downloaded 1.3. Yes, you should uninstall 1.2 before installing
    >1.3.
    >
    >I had made the mistake of installing 1.2 without uninstalling the
    >previous 1.1 version of Spybot. In my XPPro "Add/Remove"
    >programs, only the 1.1 version appeared, and when I clicked on
    >it, XP merely opened SB 1.2. Fortunately, the "File" drop down
    >menu in 1.2 included an "Uninstall from Registry option". Using
    >that choice, SB apparently removed all of its registry entries.
    >I was then prompted to manually delete the SB 1.1
    >directories/files.
    >
    >I then had to again go to the "Add/Remove" program menu, where
    >the SB 1.1 entry remained. This time, XP told me "I can't find
    >SB 1.1, should I delete this item from the Add/Remove Menu?
    >Y/N?" That took care of it. SB 1.3 installed like a charm. I
    >left the default checks in - which include registry checks, so
    >that I could a) do a double check on things that 1.2 had been
    >doing and b) redecide what items to ignore. E.g., SB likes to
    >clear "last document(s) used" registry entry lists, lest a new
    >piece of spyware get in between checks and seek out info like
    >that. What good knowing my last Word document used was
    >"Reliability, Maintainability, and Availability Analysis of the
    >AN/SQQ-89(V)15 Sonar System" {all 800 pages of it} will do for
    >someone like Cydoor is beyond me, so I eliminate that item from
    >future SB registry checks. Still and all, I do let SB do some
    >registry checks. Here, again, it has highlighted some items my
    >other registry checker tool has missed, and checks some things it
    >doesn't try to.
    >
    >I do recommend using 1.3. The SB 1.2 reference file updates
    >ceased last May after 1.3 was released. I was wondering about
    >that, and was going to check for a program update when I got a
    >round tuit. Your post made that RSN ["real soon now"] become
    >now, EB. Thanks.
    Odgen,
    I read your note and your process above and the many steps you had to go
    through to finally get v1.1 uninstalled prior to installing v1.2.
    I have v1.2 and will download v1.3. What would be the most direct way to
    uninstall v1.2 prior to installing v1.3 (use XP Add/Remove or use the
    unstall in Spybot (on File Menu, it says partial uninstall?).
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Charlie
    Charliec

    Charliec <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote:

    [Snipped to start over again]

    >I read your note and your process above and the many steps you had to go
    >through to finally get v1.1 uninstalled prior to installing v1.2.
    >I have v1.2 and will download v1.3. What would be the most direct way to
    >uninstall v1.2 prior to installing v1.3 (use XP Add/Remove or use the
    >unstall in Spybot (on File Menu, it says partial uninstall?).

    OK, first things first. Sequence of Spybot use/installation by
    OJ III.

    I found out about, downloaded, and installed SB 1.1 mumble time
    ago.

    Worked fine. A while [year or so] later, SB 1.2 was released. I
    downloaded it and installed it *over* SB 1.1, rather than
    uninstalling SB 1.1 first. SB 1.2 installed fine, and never gave
    me Problem One the whole time I was using it.

    But, as I mentioned, the "Add/Remove" program list entry still
    read SB 1.1. I had noticed it, but had done nothing about it.
    1.2 was working fine, and I had lots of other things to worry
    about. ;->

    And that is what caused *my* problem. Apparently by installing
    1.2 over 1.1, no "Add/Remove" was created for Spybot 1.2.

    If your "Add/Remove" entry reads Spybot 1.2, go ahead and use
    that way of removing Spybot 1.2. That should clear the boards
    for a fresh install of Spybot 1.3 with no problems.

    FWIW, as I was typing that fourth paragraph I paused long enough
    to check "Add/Remove", and it *does* read Spybot 1.3.

    That File Menu "partial uninstall", is probably a stop-gap
    measure for people like me that sometimes do stupid things, like
    not reading the read.me file that says "Uninstall previous
    version before installing this program." ;-> When I had to use
    that "partial uninstall" option, somewhere along the line it told
    me that it was going to clean the registry out of Spybot stuff.
    And after it did so, it told me "OK, numbskull, now you have to
    delete the Spybot directories/files manually since you didn't
    RTFM before you installed SB 1.2. Neener, neener, neener."

    Do as I say below, rather than what I did originally which in
    turn caused an inability to do things the easy way yesterday.

    >Thanks for any suggestions.
    >Charlie

    To recap. Use XP's "Add/Remove" to remove your Spybot 1.2.
    Then, having made sure the old folders and files are all gone
    [even the best uninstallers sometimes leave bits and pieces
    behind], then you can install the new SB 1.3. You should not
    have any problems.

    It is a "Do as I say, not as I did", sort of thing. ;->
    --
    OJ III

    Neener, neener, neener?

    Rocky

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Charliec <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote:
    >
    > [Snipped to start over again]
    >
    > >I read your note and your process above and the many steps you had to go
    > >through to finally get v1.1 uninstalled prior to installing v1.2.
    > >I have v1.2 and will download v1.3. What would be the most direct way to
    > >uninstall v1.2 prior to installing v1.3 (use XP Add/Remove or use the
    > >unstall in Spybot (on File Menu, it says partial uninstall?).
    >
    > OK, first things first. Sequence of Spybot use/installation by
    > OJ III.
    >
    > I found out about, downloaded, and installed SB 1.1 mumble time
    > ago.
    >
    > Worked fine. A while [year or so] later, SB 1.2 was released. I
    > downloaded it and installed it *over* SB 1.1, rather than
    > uninstalling SB 1.1 first. SB 1.2 installed fine, and never gave
    > me Problem One the whole time I was using it.
    >
    > But, as I mentioned, the "Add/Remove" program list entry still
    > read SB 1.1. I had noticed it, but had done nothing about it.
    > 1.2 was working fine, and I had lots of other things to worry
    > about. ;->
    >
    > And that is what caused *my* problem. Apparently by installing
    > 1.2 over 1.1, no "Add/Remove" was created for Spybot 1.2.
    >
    > If your "Add/Remove" entry reads Spybot 1.2, go ahead and use
    > that way of removing Spybot 1.2. That should clear the boards
    > for a fresh install of Spybot 1.3 with no problems.
    >
    > FWIW, as I was typing that fourth paragraph I paused long enough
    > to check "Add/Remove", and it *does* read Spybot 1.3.
    >
    > That File Menu "partial uninstall", is probably a stop-gap
    > measure for people like me that sometimes do stupid things, like
    > not reading the read.me file that says "Uninstall previous
    > version before installing this program." ;-> When I had to use
    > that "partial uninstall" option, somewhere along the line it told
    > me that it was going to clean the registry out of Spybot stuff.
    > And after it did so, it told me "OK, numbskull, now you have to
    > delete the Spybot directories/files manually since you didn't
    > RTFM before you installed SB 1.2. Neener, neener, neener."
    >
    > Do as I say below, rather than what I did originally which in
    > turn caused an inability to do things the easy way yesterday.
    >
    > >Thanks for any suggestions.
    > >Charlie
    >
    > To recap. Use XP's "Add/Remove" to remove your Spybot 1.2.
    > Then, having made sure the old folders and files are all gone
    > [even the best uninstallers sometimes leave bits and pieces
    > behind], then you can install the new SB 1.3. You should not
    > have any problems.
    >
    > It is a "Do as I say, not as I did", sort of thing. ;->
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    When you download & select run instead of save the program will see that you
    have a older version & will ask you to uninstall before installing new
    version
    Glenn

    --
    "*-344-*Never Forgotten"
    Is for the New York City Firemen who lost their lives on September 11,2001.
    "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Odgen,
    > I read your note and your process above and the many steps you had to go
    > through to finally get v1.1 uninstalled prior to installing v1.2.
    > I have v1.2 and will download v1.3. What would be the most direct way to
    > uninstall v1.2 prior to installing v1.3 (use XP Add/Remove or use the
    > unstall in Spybot (on File Menu, it says partial uninstall?).
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    > Charlie
    > Charliec

    Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >To recap. Use XP's "Add/Remove" to remove your Spybot 1.2.
    >Then, having made sure the old folders and files are all gone
    >[even the best uninstallers sometimes leave bits and pieces
    >behind], then you can install the new SB 1.3. You should not
    >have any problems.
    >
    >It is a "Do as I say, not as I did", sort of thing. ;->
    Ok, I followed those suggestions and found that I had both v1.1 and v1.2 in
    the Add/Remove area. Used it to remove 1.2 first, and then v1.1 (v1.1 said
    it was already uninstalled and whether I wanted to remove the entry from
    Add/Remove - selected yes and everything appeared clean.

    I then installed v1.3 and ran it. Worked like a charm and appears to be
    faster then v1.2! I also noticed that it now allows you to remove Tracking
    Cookies - I was using Ad-aware for that as v1.2 never presented Tracking
    Cookies to me.

    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Charlie
    Charliec

    Charliec <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote:

    >Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>To recap. Use XP's "Add/Remove" to remove your Spybot 1.2.
    >>Then, having made sure the old folders and files are all gone
    >>[even the best uninstallers sometimes leave bits and pieces
    >>behind], then you can install the new SB 1.3. You should not
    >>have any problems.
    >>
    >>It is a "Do as I say, not as I did", sort of thing. ;->

    >Ok, I followed those suggestions and found that I had both v1.1 and v1.2 in
    >the Add/Remove area. Used it to remove 1.2 first, and then v1.1 (v1.1 said
    >it was already uninstalled and whether I wanted to remove the entry from
    >Add/Remove - selected yes and everything appeared clean.
    >
    >I then installed v1.3 and ran it. Worked like a charm and appears to be
    >faster then v1.2! I also noticed that it now allows you to remove Tracking
    >Cookies - I was using Ad-aware for that as v1.2 never presented Tracking
    >Cookies to me.
    >
    >Thanks for the suggestions.

    I'm just glad someone could benefit from my original mess-up.
    ;->
    --
    OJ III

    >I also noticed that it now allows you to remove Tracking
    > Cookies -

    How do you configure Ad-Aware 6 to ignore tracking cookies?

    "History Fan" <IHatESpaM@IHateSPAm.com> wrote:

    >>I also noticed that it now allows you to remove Tracking
    >> Cookies -
    >
    > How do you configure Ad-Aware 6 to ignore tracking cookies?

    I have not done that as I like getting rid of tracking cookies. So, have
    not looked into it.

    Charliec

    > > How do you configure Ad-Aware 6 to ignore tracking cookies?

    I did a little checking on this matter after my last post. After
    Ad-Aware finishes a scan, it displays a list of everything it found,
    including tracking cookies. Do a Control+A to select the entire list. Then
    right-click on a tracking cookie and choose "deselect tracking cookies."
    Then Ad-Aware will leave them alone. For that particular scan, anyway.

    > > I'm curious, though, as to why you want tracking cookies?
    > >
    > > --

    I don't consider tracking cookies a threat. Besides, I delete them
    every 4-5 days anyway.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:

    > I also find that IE6 has just about all I need to manage cookies.
    >
    > I have it set to block all third party cookies and accept all first party
    > cookies, and I don't allow session cookies. There's no 'right' or 'wrong'
    > way -- it all depends on your feelings toward cookies. Once a week or so
    > I'll have a look at the cookies on my system, and if any undesirables
    > slipped through I just add them to the 'Block' list.

    As OJ and Rocky have suggested, cookie maintenance is of key importance.

    You might want to look at one of the many third-party cookie managers.

    Personally, I've been using Cookie Pal (http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html),
    but there are many other highly rated ones on the market.

    Notan

    > I let SpyBot (and Ad Aware and Spy Sweeper) remove *everything* and have
    > never lost a userid/password....

    You're right. I just let Ad-Aware delete all the tracking cookies on
    my Dell 2400, then I went back online. Amazon, NY Times, Yahoo still had my
    passwords stored. I'm glad you mentioned this, because previously I was
    deleting all my cookies before running Ad-Aware or Spybot. Then afterwards
    I would have to retype all my passwords and user ID's at certain sites. A
    real nuisance.

    Always delete all the cookies that Ad-aware comes up with. It recognizes
    tracking cookies, aka Data Miners. That's what it is supposed to do,
    anything else and it would be too painful to use.
    MLD
    "History Fan" <IHatESPam!@IhaTESPAm.cOM> wrote in message
    > > I let SpyBot (and Ad Aware and Spy Sweeper) remove *everything* and have
    > > never lost a userid/password....
    > >

    > You're right. I just let Ad-Aware delete all the tracking cookies
    on
    > my Dell 2400, then I went back online. Amazon, NY Times, Yahoo still had
    my
    > passwords stored. I'm glad you mentioned this, because previously I was
    > deleting all my cookies before running Ad-Aware or Spybot. Then
    afterwards
    > I would have to retype all my passwords and user ID's at certain sites. A
    > real nuisance.

Dell Spybot Computers