G

I also knew nothing about networks not long ago, but just by reading a bit now have 4 computers on a firewall/router network with cable access, works great! Was at Barnes and Noble bookstore yesterday, they have loads of informative books including "Networks for Dummies", you can save yourself headaches and $ just by reading up a bit before setting up a network or router etc. Also there are lots of net sites with how to's for this. Just a word of encouragement for anyone new to this area of computing!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Then, if you need additional help, of course there's the THG forums! :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Anything for dummies just talks too far down to the reader IMO but there are books out there that will walk you through many situations. www.practicallynetworked.com is an excellent site for newbies and forums as well, though this one is pretty bad for information. Anands network forum is excellent. Hardwarecentral Sysopt and IMOTech are some others. This used to be a top Forum until the format was changed. When it was delphi is was superb.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

G

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router and a Linksys Cable Modem. I'm currently connecting 2 PCs. First PC is Windows2000 and second PC is Windows98. Cable modem is connecting to Windows2000 PC. Windows98 PC is connecting to port #2 on the router. If I want to use Windows98 to go online, I have to turn on Windows2000 also. Is there a way for Windows98 to go online without turning on Windows2000?

If you get caught cheating on an exam, tell you professor that it's legal because it is shareware.

G

Unless you own this site, just chill pal. You're not obligated to read anything on this forum.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Boy this is such classic stuff, I don't know where to begin.

Unless you own this site, just chill pal

Wow, how did you guess? I do own this site. I'm Tom in disguise!

You're not obligated to read anything on this forum

Do you realize what you're saying here? By inference, nobody is obligated to read anything on this forum. OK if that was the case than how would anything get answered? You do want your post answered, don't you? Or are you just practicing your typing?

Here's why the multiple posts annoyed me:

I answered your post only to see in the next thread that I clicked on that it had been answered already. The time I spent answering it was completely wasted as the other answer was the same as mine.

I don't want to have to click on a post just to find out it's the same question as the last one I clicked on. Waste of my and your and everyone elses time. It can be answered once.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I completely agree, I also just read the pther posts, dam annoying. All that will happen is that people will see your name on a post and not bother reading it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

To those of you that were annoyed by my multiposts, I apologize. It wasn't my intention to annoy anyone. I was just looking for help in a hurry. Peace!