Sign in with
Your question

Why do you really like Mac Computers

Last response: in Mac Os X
March 27, 2011 3:03:56 AM

Why do you really favor Mac Computers over other brands on the market?

More about : mac computers

March 27, 2011 3:50:36 AM

I dont.
m
l
March 27, 2011 4:19:29 AM

Wrong forum, you want to post this on macworld instead
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2011 4:34:59 AM

I don't like them better. They have a nice design but for the money I can run osx on my acer laptop which was only for the challenge of it. I really don't care for the os and can build a desktop that will beat the most expensive mac you put together all for about 1200 to 1500 bucks. Try that at the mac store let me see it would cost 5 or 6 grand.
m
l
March 27, 2011 5:40:53 AM

I work on them sometimes, but I dont prefer them. Windows can get the job done at a much lower cost but for some reason the movie industry likes to use them. But some of my friends who know absolutely nothing about computers likes them because they dont have to worry about viruses and everything is auto, at least thats their reason... but they can afford the pricetag with it.
m
l
March 27, 2011 5:49:06 AM

Nobody outside of Apple employees really like them, they just say they do. If a person gets taken in by the advertising and hype and pays twice what they should to buy a Mac, they aren't going to admit that they got taken. Their ego makes them say that they like the computer even if they don't, so they can still think they are superior to everybody else.

I used to notice this same behavior in married people. Once they got married they would say they were happy even if they weren't. That would convince other single people to get married and be unhappy too. So the married people are thinking that the single people should be unhappy just like they are.

I have a Mac and so far I haven't found anything about it that I like.
m
l
March 27, 2011 5:58:12 AM

I wouldn't mind a Mac monitor but that's about it lol...
m
l
March 27, 2011 8:51:28 AM

I have a Mac (which was purchased because it ran a Power PC - and I'm interested in assembler programming - and because I wanted to play with OS X). I really don't use it much nowadays. I had some fun installing Linux on it, but now that's done. If I was interested in iPad programming then I would buy a new Mac (because I would have to).

But I get far better value, and performance, and versatility from my PCs running Linux, Free BSD, and Windows.

The main thing I have against Macs (apart from the fact that they are far too expensive for what they are, and always seem to be a little bit behind PCs in performance terms) is Apple. Their attitude towards their users is moving ever more towards the behaviour of a control freak. And I don't much like that. I want to be able to do what I want to with my computer equipment, not what some manufacturer thinks I should.

TBH, I think that the days of Apple computers are numbered. They make far more money from commodity consumer items than from computers. The writing was on the wall when they dumped their range of servers and left Apple users to rely upon desktop machines for networking. That shows, to me, that they have given up on the corporate market. It's just a matter of time before they decide to do the same with the home computing market.

I wish that Apple would license OS X on commodity hardware (becaue it's a decent enough, but not outstanding, Operating System); or release an unsupported "Open" version as Sun did with Solaris. But I can't see either of those things happening.
m
l
March 27, 2011 3:35:57 PM

>_< I seriously dislike macs and can only find a few reasons to own one.

1) You need one to do iOS programming so if you're making apps that's a good reason. I don't, though I may need to put one next to my PC at work if they want me to make an iPhone or iPad app :( .

2) They are shiny. People like shinny things. Even if it costs more

3) The OS is shiny. People like shinny things. Even if you can't put it on other equally shinny computers because they don't have the fruit logo on it. I personally don't like the UI at all, but I do have to admit it's shiny.
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:12:47 AM

skittle said:
Wrong forum, you want to post this on macworld instead
You are wrong this is a general discussion which exactly this topic is.Think before you post.
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:15:25 AM

cadder said:
Nobody outside of Apple employees really like them, they just say they do. If a person gets taken in by the advertising and hype and pays twice what they should to buy a Mac, they aren't going to admit that they got taken. Their ego makes them say that they like the computer even if they don't, so they can still think they are superior to everybody else.

I used to notice this same behavior in married people. Once they got married they would say they were happy even if they weren't. That would convince other single people to get married and be unhappy too. So the married people are thinking that the single people should be unhappy just like they are.

I have a Mac and so far I haven't found anything about it that I like.
Why did you buy it may I ask? There customer service is far superior than other brands like HP and Asus where they hardly understand you when you call customer service.
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:38:48 AM

musical marv said:
You are wrong this is a general discussion which exactly this topic is.Think before you post.

ROFL, I was just trolling... because this thread is flame bait. :hello: 

As other people have stated, no one here really likes macs. Inferior hardware while being charged a premium for the apple logo. Whats to like about that?
Thats why I said post to macworld, where people like the shiny apple logo ;) 
m
l
March 28, 2011 6:54:24 AM

When such an obvious leading question as the OP is asked then it's difficult to see it as other than flame bait.

If we want a proper discussion let's start with '"do you think XYZ is best" rather tha "why do you think XYZ is best". (No, I haven't stopped beating my wife.)

Such discussions are ultimately doomed in any case. Computers, OSs, word processors, programming languages, etc. aren't "better" than each other. They're just different; each has their strengths and weaknesses.
m
l
March 28, 2011 6:00:11 PM

There is no answer to this question. Why is red better than green?

I do think from an industrial design perspective they are beautiful - especially if I compare them to a new Dell or HP or other laptop. I dont repair them so I dont know if that "design" gets in the way of servicing them.

I disagree they have better customer service. It works if it fits you, but if you step out of the norm, they dont know what to do. This is the PC's strong point, but it causes lots of confusion if you dont know what to do.

Im with ijack, they are different, not good or bad, not better or worse...just another tool in the tool chest...

m
l
March 28, 2011 6:32:59 PM

During the day I working at the arse-end of the PC business (BIOS level programming); Outside work I use Apples because it's refreshing to use a machine that's built to a standard not down to a price (like the vast majority of PC's).
m
l
March 28, 2011 6:43:41 PM

If by PCs we mean computers running Microsoft operating systems, I have never seen anything that comes close to the build quality quality of an IBM server. Apples are not (IMO) built to a superior standard and recently they seem to have been lowering that standards. Macbook Pros with so much thermal paste applied that they are overheating - that's not built to a standard, that's just sloppy assembly.

Of course all manufacturers have their faults and their duds, but this myth that Macs are somehow better constructed than PCs is ridiculous.
m
l
March 29, 2011 3:13:27 AM

vvhocare5 said:
There is no answer to this question. Why is red better than green?

I do think from an industrial design perspective they are beautiful - especially if I compare them to a new Dell or HP or other laptop. I dont repair them so I dont know if that "design" gets in the way of servicing them.

I disagree they have better customer service. It works if it fits you, but if you step out of the norm, they dont know what to do. This is the PC's strong point, but it causes lots of confusion if you dont know what to do.

Im with ijack, they are different, not good or bad, not better or worse...just another tool in the tool chest...
Go purchase a Lenovo which i previously did a few years ago and that is you get when you call customer service people who are Chinese who speak hardly any English.Lousy C/S on Lenovo part.
m
l
March 29, 2011 6:50:37 AM

But you don't have to purchase a Lenovo. There are plenty of other makes. Some worse quality and support than Apple, some better.

Even better, it's really easy to put together your own system. Once you know what goes in it and how it fits together you don't need customer service.
m
l
March 29, 2011 1:10:13 PM

Ijack said:
But you don't have to purchase a Lenovo. There are plenty of other makes. Some worse quality and support than Apple, some better.

Even better, it's really easy to put together your own system. Once you know what goes in it and how it fits together you don't need customer service.

hooray to this one, i even did it for my laptop (Compal NBLB2) and all of my desktops to date
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:04:38 PM

skittle said:
ROFL, I was just trolling... because this thread is flame bait. :hello: 

As other people have stated, no one here really likes macs. Inferior hardware while being charged a premium for the apple logo. Whats to like about that?
Thats why I said post to macworld, where people like the shiny apple logo ;) 

You should research the facts. Mac's are not thrown together using inferior components. If you compare comparable Windows machines to Mac's you will find that a Mac is very competitive price wise. They also have a very stable OS that is easy to use for the average consumer--compare that with Windows, which has had problems with stability over the years and is anything but easy to use.

For audio, or graphic arts I have not found a PC that even comes close to what the Mac has. I have not seen any PC's that come equipped with Toslink and coreaudio as the default.
m
l
April 1, 2011 2:44:57 PM

Toslink - you haven't looked hard enough. Loads of PC sound cards have that.

Core Audio - you haven't found a PC that comes with an OS X API as the default? I wonder why that would be?

I haven't found an Apple Computer yet that supports the Windows API by default - wow, what a surprise! There's nothing wrong with a bit of trolling, but try and make it believable. (I know, I know - it's April Fools Day.)

m
l
April 1, 2011 7:41:22 PM

Why I like: Well thought out software design. The UNIX kernel. Somewhat low maintenance.

In response to the above post asking why the movie industry likes Macs, also the software. No Final Cut Pro for Windows.

Reason I don't like Macs... $$$ for a nice box with the same cheap Chinese construction everybody else employs. Too much proprietary control of software, hardware, and even media content.
m
l
!