Only member of local Administratorscan play games on Zone...

mark

Hi,
It looks like only the member of local Administrators group can successfully
install and play games (like Chess) from Zone.msn.com.
Is there a way to let members of other groups (like Power Users) to be able
to play games as well?
It's really not a good idea to let everyone to be a member of local
Administrators group.
Thanks

Mark wrote:

> Hi,
> It looks like only the member of local Administrators group can successfully
> install and play games (like Chess) from Zone.msn.com.
> Is there a way to let members of other groups (like Power Users) to be able
> to play games as well?
> It's really not a good idea to let everyone to be a member of local
> Administrators group.
> Thanks

Here are a few things to try:

- Install as the administrator and give rights to all users.

- Make the user an administrator till the game is installed.

- Run Regedt32 and give permission to the users. I don't have an XP
system so I can't direct you exactly.

Here is a thread on the subject in an indirect way:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.games/browse_thread/thread/3e9e2f42976b68c0/2234acf19ee077ee?q=administrator+msn.zone.com&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dadministrator+msn.zone.com%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#2234acf19ee077ee

--

+Elmo_Tech

mark

I finally got it work. What I did was
1. Let a user who is a member of administrators group to install the game.
2. Modify the NTFS permission settings on the particular folder on the HDD,
to let the user group to have WRITE permission.
3. Modify Registry: HKLM to let the user group to have FULL CONTROL, and
replace all permission settings that are underneath.
I know the 3 is not a good idea, but who knows which keys are related to the
game (Can somebody tell please?!)

Anyway, it's working now for the users who are not a member of
administrators group.

By the way, the "Run as" does not seem working here, cause the games looks
like has to be installed each time connected, the .exe cannot be found on the
local PC.

Thanks