Minimum virtual memory for window 7

emadaso

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hello,
i want to set virtual memory for window 7 but could not get minimum level and maxmum level for my application to run on 4GB RAM on window 7

WTF are you trying to do? Why are you messing around with this when you dont seem to know what you are doing?
What do you mean "could not get minimum level and maximum level for my application"? What application?

Hopeless question... please try harder and give us something to go on.
Cheers

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Vitrual memory, do you know what it means, it means when the ram of the system is close to being used up it uses what we call the swap file that is run off the hard drive not the system memory, that is about 1000 times faster than a hard drive swap file. Virtual memory has little to do with system memory. The best idea is to simply buy some more ram if the motherboard can take it.

Your sounding about as confused as the OP
PLEASE can someone ask a sensible question here?

Cheers

bucknutty

Distinguished
Im not really sure what the question is, but I also don't see a good reason we need to be so negative.

In my experience you can simply set the virtual memory tab for "custom size" and lock it at 4 gigs. (4096). Set the initial size and max size to 4096.

I have never seen a consumer program or game utilize more than 5 or gigs of ram, so the 4gigs system ram and the 4gigs of hdd swap file will be more than enough.

The advantage of this is you get one clean block of your hdd setup as the swap file. The down side is your waisting a big chuck of hdd space, but in todays world were people have 500gb hds and only use 80gb whats 4 more?

TommyGunDam

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
I've always set to start @ 128MB to 4096MB and never had any problems, that way the pagefile, aka swap file, starts out small and doesn't take up a lot of HDD space. But with even a "small" 300GB HDD these days one can just set it @ 4096MB and call it a day...unless you are running out of space.

BTW to the OP, are you sure you are "setting" it correctly? Just entering in the values and clicking on "OK" will not set it...one needs to press the "Set" button next to the values.

W7 uses a little over 500MB of RAM just idling, depending on how much bloatware you have running in the background. The machine I'm using at the moment to post this is my daily browsing machine with only 2GB of RAM and I've not experienced any issues. My video editing rig has 16GB and I have turned off the virtual memory altogether.

emadaso

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hi Voji,
I am not confused as i have been setting the virtual memory on lower OS and it it has been working and even on Windows7 starter but for the professional with 4GB RAm is the one am having problem with. The initial problem is how to run visual dbase 7 application on the window7 professional

TRENDING THREADS