Why does THG hate AMD dual core?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I was wondering why THG wont put up a thing on AMD's dual core chips. They are actually available, yet every piece of news on intel's dual core is the front page top news. I realize that AMD's dual core chips slaughter intel but they are gonna have to put some news up eventually even if it pisses off Intel. Common THG....Every other site has it up and you've had a lot of time.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Well obviously AMDs dual core cpus are inferior in every way possible, nah.

They're available? I haven't seen them anywhere (not that I put much effort into it)

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

not to say THG isnt like that or anything but is it posible that there working on a huge comparison between like dual core intel vs dual core amd vs dual cpu intel and amd??? or anything like that? its a posibility

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
All i'm saying is that they put insignifigant news up about intel's dual core but they wont even put up a simple bench comparison against AMD. Every other website has it up and i always like the THG reviews so i hope we will get one soon. Maybe tom's ol neighbor intel gave him a lil cash to not publush some of the embarrassing benchies against AMD since it it once of the biggest review sites around.

endyen

Splendid
Tom's Hardware believes Intel is the future.
As thier managing editor sees it, Amd is a flash in the pan, that will never amount to anything.
With that type of thinking, it would be to the general detriment to publish anything that shows Amd in a positive light. After all, every dime that goes to Amd, is a dime not spent on Intel's marvelous R&D people.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
lol, they removed my message, or i forgot to post it.. :)

I'll try to re create it..

THG don't want to piss off Intel.
They know that AMD DC CPU's would sweep the floor with Intel offerings.

Or maybe they are currently testing those dual cores, but wont release results until they find a way to do the Apple (twisting benchmark results).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HansGruber on 05/03/05 10:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If THG doesnt post AMD dual core news in the near future because of pressure from intel then this site is dead to me and will be even more of a joke in the enthusiest community.

darth_farter

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004
K8man is right,
I myself also want to know why THG is blatantly expressing every little news detail about Intel's (DC) offerings while clearly shunning AMD's offerings altogether... :(

I hope thg really are prepping something grand about Dual core like anand and most other relevant tech sites did over 2 weeks ago.

Any news(/hints) mods/admins?

endyen

Splendid
The mods and admins dont bother much with what goes on here. They may not be pleased that these forums have become a hotbed of Amd fanboyism, but that hasn't affected the way it is administered. We have always had a reasonably free hand.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
THG does big review that show AMD leading in most of the applications most of us care about. And if Intel does better in business or professional applications, well, THG is trying to move towards that market anyway, so...

When THG does a big comparison it will be all over the place. It will probably show AMD walking over Intel on a bunch of things, with Intel barely stepping over AMD on a couple of things, and have a conclusion that tries to suit everyone. This is normal practice.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
This forum is the only good thing of THG at this moment

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This forum is the only good thing of THG at this moment
I'll second that.

:(

It's sad. THG <i>used</i> to be great.

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And it wasn't <i>just</i> the more intelligent articles, back when Tom was actuall involved. It was also the lack of so many <i>stupid</i> articles, like all of these rebranded PR blurbs that almost read straight from the marketing departments. Tom had a vision and he kept the site in check. He even punted what's-his-name for being too biased.

Of course a conspiracy theorist might postulate that the downfall started when THG began running ad banners. But even then THG ran fine for a while.

What really marked the demise of THG's usefulness to me was when Tom left. Not only did we lose his wise insights, but the editors lost all ambition to tweak and OC. And then, worse, they seemed to start getting replaced by marketing drones. Now we have nothing worth reading on the THG site anymore. :(

There's no investigative reporting. There's no catering to enthusiasts. There's nothing <i>interesting</i>. It's all just marketing rehash.

Hell, I even emailed David Strom about his PSP article a while back and am now strongly of the opinion that he's a complete clue. He seems to know nothing about consoles or portable media devices, so why is he writing about a PSP? And after getting his response (which counterpointed with neither anything to do with his article nor my email) I'm not even convinced that he can think straight. And then he just flat out stopped responding to the correspondence. I'm not impressed, especially for an Editor-In-Chief. His article was bad, his response to my email was worse, and then instead of taking the opportunity to express himself clearly he just stopped communicating. Bad bad bad.

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

darth_farter

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004
damn, I didn't know at all that Tom was gone... why?

I did notice however a change in the structure and way the reviews are done/written...

and it seems everytime there's more and more gadgets, "news", interviews and stuff on the front pages while core components for the enthusiast community are severely lacking...

chipset reviews?
dual core (amd?!?) reviews?
cpu architecture (venice/san diego)reviews & testing?
gfx? (x800xl from tom's anyone?)
Mobo roundups (be it s939/lga775 etc)?

too bad I can't turn to this site anymore for in depth news articles and reviews concerning the latest in tech, like amd's dual core performance...