Sign in with
Your question

Windows Error Recovery loop when other disks are connected (UEFI)

Last response: in Windows 7
December 21, 2012 12:13:57 PM

Hi,

Just built a new PC, specs as follows:
32GB DDR3
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Crucial M4 128GB (from previous build)
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
WD 400GB (from previous previous build)

I got Windows 7 up and running on the Crucial drive (connected at SATA3_1, with the WD connected and functioning on SATA3_A1) and then decided it was time to get Xubuntu up and running on the OCZ (SATA3_0). So I installed rEFInd on the Crucial's ESP and it worked - I was able to launch Windows 7 from the rEFInd menu. I then disconnected the Crucial and connected the OCZ, and installed Xubuntu. In the UEFI, I set rEFInd as the boot device/manager, and from the rEFInd menu I can select Xubuntu and Windows 7 - great. However, I can only actually boot Xubuntu; booting Windows 7 results in a Windows Error Recovery loop.

Disconnecting all but the Crucial SSD, I can get into Startup Repair. It attempts repair for several minutes, fails with the following details:
Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 1
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.2561
Locale ID: 1033
#Diagnosis and repair details:
Root cause found:
-------------------
A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.
Repair action: System files integrity check and repair:
Result: Failed. Error code: 0x490
Time taken: 144629ms

After I reboot, however, Windows boots fine. Reconnecting either the WD or OCZ results in the same situation all over again.

Any ideas? :( 
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 1:02:30 PM

I always install the OS when only 1 drive is connected. you now have a boot loader on one drive and the OS is on a different drive. That can be a real problem when a drive fails. Or now.
m
l
December 21, 2012 1:18:22 PM

anonymous1 said:
I always install the OS when only 1 drive is connected. you now have a boot loader on one drive and the OS is on a different drive. That can be a real problem when a drive fails. Or now.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion? The ESP and OS are both on the Crucial SSD?
m
l
!