sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
I can’t get a 3200 to work with my MSI KT4v board. I have installed the newest bios that claims to work with the 3200 but it just will not run with a 200 mhz FSB.

best i can get is 166x14 reporting as a 2800.

Have I installed the bios correctly? I used the ami flash utility and everything seemed to go fine?

Any one got any ideas on this one?>

lol, no. AMD3200 has a 200mhz fsb, which needs to be coupled with DDR400 ram. The reason you are having problems is becuase you are overclocking your RAM.

Try loosening the timings and adding a little extra juice to the sticks.

Posting your RAM type/make/model would help.

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
emm make lol, Im not really sure. Its 2x256 running at 333.

what would i have to change timing wise to get it to run at 400?

cheers ned

Somewherein your BIOS you will find the RAM settings - Post the timings of the RAM if you can find them. I.e the CAS timings, Trad etc etc.

Also, if you can find the RAM voltage settings, bump it to 2.7 or 2.8 and see if that is more stable.

If your RAM is a CAS 2.5 then you'd need to change that to CAS 3.

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
it is cas 2.5, so i tried 3 and giving it 2.7v. the system would still not boot with 200 fsb. However the system will run with a low fsb (i.e 100) with the ram set to 400 but i guess that this would be the case?

Think i will have to get some ddr 400.

ebuyer.com has some for around £70 for 1gb single stick.

any recomendations for some cheap single stick 1gb ram? (ddr 400 of course lol)

endyen

Splendid
If your ram runs @ 400, it doesn't matter what your fsb is at.
What multiplier are you using? Is the multiplier unlocked?
It would seem to be if your mobo sees an xp2800.
BTW running with a 166 fsb, and a 14X multi, you are getting better perf than you would @ stock anyhow.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I search on MSI's website, I found the highest processor it supports is 3000+, which makes sense to me since KT4V is a KT400 chipset motherboard..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Isn't the KT400 a chipset that only supports a "333" bus processor, or slower? Like the KT133 only supported 100MHz bus?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But the chipset only supports <A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=362" target="_new">FSB of 200/266/333</A>

Hewlett Packard had a special version AMD XP processor, also labled XP3200+, that used a 333 bus (166MHz clock) and was clocked higher than the 400 bus version. This special processor would be what they are refering to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Well aint that fantastic! I have bigger problems now as my 200GB SATA HD just died. i have managed to stop it crashing another computer but i still need to recover the logic drive to get my data (had to remove the raid partition to stop it crashing the pc)

before this happened i was running 177x12.5 and getting a stable system (so running like 355 fsb lol) so its running at the right speed anyway. I have also ordered some 400mhz ram to try but even if it doesn’t work I will still have 1.5 gb ram ;-)

sciroccotune

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Yeah i wasnt to happy!! finally managed to get it noty to crash what ever pc it was connected to! Running verious recovery progs as we speak - not looking good :-(

At least maxtor are going to send me a new one!! then im going to get another and run a raid 1 aray to mirror!!!!!!!!

evil pc's!!

least my cpu will run at the right speed now (well sort of 177x12.5) so guess it will proform the same.

(also deff not the car as the hdd seems to have damaged sectors and have tried new card.

fun fun fun