zone games XP pro problem

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 29, 2004 2:24:41 AM

I've just put XP pro over my win 98 SE (ok, maybe I should have done a clean
install, but I didn't).
Everything is working fine, apart from zone.
If i go to backgammon (or any other), it tells me i need to download and
install the latest files, brings up the warning box which i accept, and then
it fails - I've turned off my zone alarm but it has made no difference. I'm
logged on as administrator.
I uninstalled (from add/remove panel) what zone files I had - anyone got any
suggestions? ( i don't fancy deleting things out of the registry!)

More about : zone games pro problem

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:24:42 AM

Phil wrote:

> I've just put XP pro over my win 98 SE (ok, maybe I should have done a clean
> install, but I didn't).
> Everything is working fine, apart from zone.
> If i go to backgammon (or any other), it tells me i need to download and
> install the latest files, brings up the warning box which i accept, and then
> it fails - I've turned off my zone alarm but it has made no difference. I'm
> logged on as administrator.
> I uninstalled (from add/remove panel) what zone files I had - anyone got any
> suggestions? ( i don't fancy deleting things out of the registry!)

Open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects
button. If HeartbeatCtrl, or ZoneIntro Class is listed as Damaged,
right-click, click Update to repair the ActiveX component.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

> Open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects
> button. If HeartbeatCtrl, or ZoneIntro Class is listed as Damaged,
> right-click, click Update to repair the ActiveX component.

Thanks for trying, but hasn't worked- they were both there fine, but updated
the Zone intro anyhow. Is it worth deleting them?
Thanks
Phil
December 29, 2004 1:28:09 PM

Phil wrote:

> > Open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects
> > button. If HeartbeatCtrl, or ZoneIntro Class is listed as Damaged,
> > right-click, click Update to repair the ActiveX component.
> >
> Thanks for trying, but hasn't worked- they were both there fine, but updated
> the Zone intro anyhow. Is it worth deleting them?
> Thanks
> Phil

Here's the NibblesNbits site. Try this download page for help:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...

The new XP firewall supplied with SP2 could be the problem:

Known issues with XP SP2 and various products out there.

It may help to use the "Enabling programs" section of the above article
to allow Zone.exe, Zproxy.exe and any other Zone program that
communicates with the Zone.

There's a section here on disabling the XP firewall:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#fwall

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
December 30, 2004 4:49:58 PM

> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...
>
> The new XP firewall supplied with SP2 could be the problem:
>
> Known issues with XP SP2 and various products out there.
>
> It may help to use the "Enabling programs" section of the above article
> to allow Zone.exe, Zproxy.exe and any other Zone program that
> communicates with the Zone.
>
> There's a section here on disabling the XP firewall:
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#fwall

Will try those next week and report back - am away from computer with prob
at mo - i'm only on SP1 - did not put SP2 on due to what i've heard about
it.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:02:33 PM

Phil wrote:

> > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...
> >
> > The new XP firewall supplied with SP2 could be the problem:
> >
> > Known issues with XP SP2 and various products out there.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242
> >
> > It may help to use the "Enabling programs" section of the above article
> > to allow Zone.exe, Zproxy.exe and any other Zone program that
> > communicates with the Zone.
> >
> > There's a section here on disabling the XP firewall:
> > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#fwall
> >
> Will try those next week and report back - am away from computer with prob
> at mo - i'm only on SP1 - did not put SP2 on due to what i've heard about
> it.

Look in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder in a DOS window. In
DOS window, type:

CD C:\windows\downlo~1 (Enter key)

DIR (Enter key)

See if there are any \Conflict.xxx folders.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:42:00 AM

Hello
I am was having problems getting into the Zone's game room like (Backgammon)
with a windows XP system with sp2 installed, It's taken me afew weeks to
figure out why and how to fix it! I'm here to share what I have to do when
the problem accrues. First I'm using Window XP with SP2 for web
browsers I use MSN Premium Software, plus I'm using Internet Explorer
Ver:6.0.2900 with SP2_rtm I've had the same problem using both
browsers, The New Security of the SP2 and WinXp are the best yet.. This
is what I was told to do, to get the Game Rooms in the zone to open,
When it happens Hit your START BUTTON, Then go to RUN TYPE REGEDIT
Then Hit OK , The window that opens up, PLEASE NOTE DON"T DELETE
ANYTHING! Unless you know what it is.. FINE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Then
in that File find SOFTWARE then scroll down till you find another File
named MICROSOFT, Then Scroll down to INTERNET GAMING ZONE, Then Find
ROOM, find the Zone name You are using, then Click the name.. ON the
RIGHT side there should be The Room or Rooms you have played in.. Find the
one you are trying to enter, then touch it with your Mouse pointer It
should turn Blue! Then You hit the Delete button on your keyboard,, Hit
YES when it asks you if you are sue you want to delete the file,, After
you've done that Close out the REGISTRY EDITOR Then try to enter the ROOM
you wanted to enter but couldn't,, You should be able to enter the room
without any problems, That problem may happen many times and you may
need to repeat this each time,, To give anyone some peace of mind about
this,, The Security of the Zone and Microsoft are there to keep us safe and
to keep our Systems Hacker free.. This is a Small price to pay! Please
Enjoy the ZONE,, Thank you for listing!

Phil" <spamspam@nospambtinternet.comspame> wrote in message
> I've just put XP pro over my win 98 SE (ok, maybe I should have done a
> clean
> install, but I didn't).
> Everything is working fine, apart from zone.
> If i go to backgammon (or any other), it tells me i need to download and
> install the latest files, brings up the warning box which i accept, and
> then
> it fails - I've turned off my zone alarm but it has made no difference.
> I'm
> logged on as administrator.
> I uninstalled (from add/remove panel) what zone files I had - anyone got
> any
> suggestions? ( i don't fancy deleting things out of the registry!)

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:57:50 PM

Mel Hockley Jr wrote:

> Hello
> I was having problems getting into the Zone's game room like (Backgammon)
> with a windows XP system with sp2 installed, It's taken me a few weeks to
> figure out why and how to fix it! I'm here to share what I have to do when
> the problem occurs. First I'm using Window XP with SP2. For web
> browsers, I use MSN Premium Software, plus I'm using Internet Explorer
> Ver:6.0.2900 with SP2_rtm. I've had the same problem using both
> browsers. The New Security of the SP2 and WinXp are the best yet.. This
> is what I was told to do, to get the Game Rooms in the zone to open,
> When it happens Hit your START button, then go to RUN, type REGEDIT
> Then Hit OK. The window that opens up, PLEASE NOTE DON"T DELETE
> ANYTHING! Unless you know what it is.. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Click the + sign to the left of each of these to expand them.

> Then
> in that Folder find SOFTWARE, scroll down till you find another Folder
> named MICROSOFT, scroll down to INTERNET GAMING ZONE. Then Find
> ROOM, find the Zone name you are using, then Click the name.. ON the
> RIGHT side there should be The Room or Rooms you have played in.. Find the
> one you are trying to enter, then click it with your Mouse pointer It
> should turn Blue! Then You hit the Delete button on your keyboard, Hit
> YES when it asks you if you are sue you want to delete the file. > After you've done that Close out the REGISTRY EDITOR Then try to enter the ROOM
> you wanted to enter but couldn't. You should be able to enter the room
> without any problems. That problem may happen many times and you may
> need to repeat this each time.

Is that the problem where the room flashes open, then closes? Perhaps
it's similar, but has changed due to the added dialogue when checking
for updated files. If so, this was a problem before SP2.

There's a REG file available at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html that might make it
easier; you leave it on the desktop, or wherever is convenient, and
double-click it whenever there's a problem entering a room.

--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
January 3, 2005 9:01:33 PM

> > it.
>
> Look in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder in a DOS window. In
> DOS window, type:
>
> CD C:\windows\downlo~1 (Enter key)
>
> DIR (Enter key)
>
> See if there are any \Conflict.xxx folders.

I have 8 conflict folders - so what should i do with these? thanks..
Hopefully I'll be back on zone soon - i've downloaded the regisry patch but
this hasn't worked.
Phil
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:01:34 PM

Phil wrote:

> > > it.
> >
> > Look in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder in a DOS window. In
> > DOS window, type:
> >
> > CD C:\windows\downlo~1 (Enter key)
> >
> > DIR (Enter key)
> >
> > See if there are any \Conflict.xxx folders.
>
> I have 8 conflict folders - so what should i do with these? thanks..
> Hopefully I'll be back on zone soon - i've downloaded the regisry patch but
> this hasn't worked.
> Phil

Conflict folders aren't always bad.. For the next step, let's look in
the folders and see what's in them:

- Open a DOS window.

- Type

CD C:\Windows\Downlo~1

DIR

- Look at the extensions of the folders.. They may be 1 or 001, e.g..

Type:

CD conflict.1

DIR

- Look in the folder and see what's listed.

Type CD..

CD conflict.2 (or whatever the next folder extension)

DIR

- See what files are listed. Continue the above till you've checked out
all the folders. If all of them contain ZINTRO.OCX then open regedit.

- Do a search (F3) for \conflict When found:

1. Press Ctrl key and the + key on the numeric keypad. That will let
you see the complete path. Verify it has a Zone reference, then remove
the entry in this manner:

2. Press the Delete key; you will be prompted to delete it. Do so.

3. Press F3 to continue the search. If more are found, go back to 1.
above.

Try the Zone again with antivirus software turned off.

--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:01:35 PM

Elmo wrote:

> > > Look in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder in a DOS window. In
> > > DOS window, type:
> > >
> > > CD C:\windows\downlo~1 (Enter key)
> > >
> > > DIR (Enter key)
> > >
> > > See if there are any \Conflict.xxx folders.
> >
> > I have 8 conflict folders - so what should i do with these? thanks..
> > Hopefully I'll be back on zone soon - i've downloaded the regisry patch but
> > this hasn't worked.
> > Phil
>
> Conflict folders aren't always bad.. For the next step, let's look in
> the folders and see what's in them:
>
> - Open a DOS window.
>
> - Type
>
> CD C:\Windows\Downlo~1
>
> DIR
>
> - Look at the extensions of the folders.. They may be 1 or 001, e.g..
>
> Type:
>
> CD conflict.1
>
> DIR
>
> - Look in the folder and see what's listed.
>
> Type CD..
>
> CD conflict.2 (or whatever the next folder extension)
>
> DIR
>
> - See what files are listed. Continue the above till you've checked out
> all the folders. If all of them contain ZINTRO.OCX then open regedit.
>
> - Do a search (F3) for \conflict When found:
>
> 1. Press Ctrl key and the + key on the numeric keypad. That will let
> you see the complete path. Verify it has a Zone reference, then remove
> the entry in this manner:
>
> 2. Press the Delete key; you will be prompted to delete it. Do so.
>
> 3. Press F3 to continue the search. If more are found, go back to 1.
> above.
>
> Try the Zone again with antivirus software turned off.

To delete a Conflict folder:

- Open a DOS window.

- Type

CD C:\Windows\Downlo~1

DIR

DELTREE Conflict.* *.*

I think that will do it.. With XP, it may be different. If no-go, I'll
look up the commands for XP. I have a couple of files that might delete
the Conflict folders here:

http://members.iglou.com/elmogeek/

You can right-click the files, click Edit, or click Send To Wordpad if
you want to see what's in these batch files.

--
Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to
"com" if you want to email me.

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
January 4, 2005 7:50:26 PM

the above till you've checked out
> > all the folders. If all of them contain ZINTRO.OCX then open regedit.

looked at the 1st 3 conflict files...all have zsetup, a few have heartbeat
in as well, so haven't looked thru the rest of them, but they don't have
zintro.ocx in.
thanks for the help so far, any other suggestions?
http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp (full install) says wait for
page to load when i clicking on a lobby.
Phil
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 8:45:31 PM

Phil wrote:

> the above till you've checked out
> > > all the folders. If all of them contain ZINTRO.OCX then open regedit.
> > >
> looked at the 1st 3 conflict files...all have zsetup, a few have heartbeat
> in as well, so haven't looked thru the rest of them, but they don't have
> zintro.ocx in.
> thanks for the help so far, any other suggestions?
> http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp (full install) says wait for
> page to load when i clicking on a lobby.
> Phil

That error is discussed here in step #5:

PLEASE WAIT FOR PAGE TO DOWNLOAD
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
January 6, 2005 12:21:11 AM

> > zintro.ocx in.
> > thanks for the help so far, any other suggestions?
> > http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp (full install) says wait
for
> > page to load when i clicking on a lobby.
> > Phil
>
> That error is discussed here in step #5:
>
> PLEASE WAIT FOR PAGE TO DOWNLOAD
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html

OK, that downloaded main zone files again, and logged me on to zone friends.
After rebooting, I cant get back on to friends though, and still get the
same errors when trying to download/go to a page with games on i.e. it comes
up with a box to download files, I click yes, but then says on the web page
unable to download.
Thanks for all the suggestions, but none seem to work, so looks like it's
thanks microsoft, but I'm stuffed - time to find online games somewhere
else.
Phil
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:21:12 AM

Phil wrote:

> > > zintro.ocx in.
> > > thanks for the help so far, any other suggestions?
> > > http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp (full install) says wait
> for
> > > page to load when i clicking on a lobby.
> > > Phil
> >
> > That error is discussed here in step #5:
> >
> > PLEASE WAIT FOR PAGE TO DOWNLOAD
> > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html
> >
> OK, that downloaded main zone files again, and logged me on to zone friends.
> After rebooting, I cant get back on to friends though, and still get the
> same errors when trying to download/go to a page with games on i.e. it comes
> up with a box to download files, I click yes, but then says on the web page
> unable to download.
> Thanks for all the suggestions, but none seem to work, so looks like it's
> thanks microsoft, but I'm stuffed - time to find online games somewhere
> else.
> Phil

Don't have Passport log you on automatically; it doesn't log you onto
the Zone. Turn that option off and use the NibblesNbits script if you
want. I'm not sure that will help with your problem though, it's just
an idea.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:31:26 AM

Elmo wrote:

> Is that the problem where the room flashes open, then closes? Perhaps
> it's similar, but has changed due to the added dialogue when checking
> for updated files. If so, this was a problem before SP2.
>
> There's a REG file available at
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html that might make
> it easier; you leave it on the desktop, or wherever is convenient, and
> double-click it whenever there's a problem entering a room.

FWIW, I had this flashing room problem for quite a while in backgammon, but
maybe 2-3 months ago it went away and I haven't ad the problem again..
XP-SP2. Perhaps the Zone updated something.

--
Gregg C.
!