DEEPNATION

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
This is my situation.

1) WindowsXp crashed and I havent been able to get in. I get an error messages stating that to replace hal.dll file. I try that and that didnt work.

So what I did was installed windows in a new folder on the same drive and then boot up to the new installed. Once I did that I went to retrieve my files from the "My document" folder so I can back it up onto a new physical drive. It wouldnt let me access it, probably because that folder belong under the old windows install.

How can I bypass the restriction......is there method or a software that u would recomend?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
I'm no expert, so how about you do it the hardway?
--> Huck your hdd in a different box as a secondary and save all the stuff you want do the primary hdd or a diff partition on yours. Then format.

:)

dethndrek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
It could be that if you had NTFS on the old installation that the old permissions do not allow you to access the information. Do you get an "Access Denied" message when you attempt to access it? Right click on the folder, go to the security tab and see what users are listed in the box at the top of the screen. If your login ID is not in there then there's your problem. Add yourself in. You may have to take ownership of the folder in order to get in however and this requires a few more steps.

JWR

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
If you log in as the administrator you should be able to take ownership of the folder, and change the permissions. If that doesn't work, what error do you get when you try?

<b>We are the Lysdexic of Grob. Resistance is floortile. You will be asslaminated. </b>