Programs won't open, control panel hangs - new install.

ClutchHunter

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Programs won't open and whilst the control panel will open clicking any of the options results in it hanging, resulting in me needing to end the process in task manager. I'm in safe mode right now and no such problems are currently present.

This is a newly built computer and the OS is installed on an SSD. After installing Windows I installed drivers from three CDs in the following order: graphics card, sound card, mobo/chipset. No problems appeared to occur. I think prior to installing these drivers Windows was okay as I recall looking up why my internet wasn't working(turned out I need the LAN driver from the latter driver CD).

Any help appreciated!

dingo07

Distinguished
does your motherboard have on-board video? did you have more than 1 drive connected when you installed the OS?

motherboard/chipset drivers should be the very first ones you install after getting to the desktop - then windows updates, then video, then other things like add in cards including adding other drives to the system

I would do it over again, and if u have on-board video, don't install the GPU just yet, get the OS installed with all updates first and running

Best rule of thumb when installing Windows on any type of computer. Chipset driver after a reinstall or fresh install is the first thing to go in. If you install video, sound, etc. it can sometime confuse the chipset (which is driverless at this point) and make it think it's something its not. Dell machines are very prone to this issue.

Like Dingo07 mentioned. I would reinstall and start with the Chipset first to make sure the motherboard and processor are recognized correctly and then install Network drivers 2nd.

ClutchHunter

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
No worries guys, figured it out. I have an ASUS sound card and for some reason it chose to install and run both 64 & 32 bit services. The 32 bit one is what was causing the problem, so disabling that from starting at boot in msconfig did the trick. (HsMgr.exe*32)