Sign in with
Your question

Razer Megalodon-Help please :cry:

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 1, 2012 4:05:15 AM

Ok... I tried, literally, for 5hours + to fix this. I even called Razer support and waited for a representative x.x. Here is the basic story. I spent 150$ on this headset, waited for it to show up. Plugged it into my laptop, it worked for a full day. I fell asleep, woke up. BAM! No sound comes from it, and it's not showing up in my device manager, my playback devices, or anywhere hardware is listed. I tried updating the firmware and the firmware updater didn't even pick up that it was plugged in. All of the lights on the LED box are lit up but the computer acts like it's not even plugged in. I googled all day, and finally decided to post somewhere, if anyone knows any kind of solution, I'll gladly take it. Some people say it is a problem with windows 7, others say I need a self powered usb hub. If the powered usb hub thing is true, I'm getting a new computer with a 500w power supply, will that supply more power to the usb ports or are they limited in some way? I'm stressed out and have been trying to fix this all day, so I wouldn't be surprised if I submit this thread then look at it and it makes no sense to me. I would just really appreciate any help at all, I'm at wits end. :cry: 

EDIT: I even reformatted my entire computer to try and recreate the first time I plugged the headset in and it worked for a day. Didn't recognize the headset, it was like before. I'm so confused...

More about : razer megalodon cry

January 1, 2012 5:17:16 AM

Try the headset plugged into different USB ports on the laptop while the laptop is plugged in and charging. Also test on desktop USB ports if possible. Report back.

Also, from Razer's FAQ.

Q: Sometimes my Razer product does not work at startup after a cold start?
A: Make sure your ports are not going into hibernation mode. Check the following:
- Right click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties.
- Click on the Hardware tab.
- Click the Device Manager button.
- Click on the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Right click on any Root Hub and choose Properties.
- Click the Power Management tab and make sure there is NO CHECK in "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
- Click the OK button and do this for each Root Hub.
- Next, click on Start and Control Panel.
- Double click on Power Options.
- Click the Hibernation Tab and uncheck Enable hibernate support.
m
l
January 1, 2012 5:25:13 AM

I have no access to a desktop currently, hopefully the one I built online will come in a few days. I did everything you suggested and still nothing, the mic doesn't even show up as connected.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 5:49:18 AM

Make sure your motherboard drivers are up to date. They can usually be obtained from the manufacturer's website.
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:43:47 AM

I honestly don't have the slightest clue as to what mobo i have
m
l
January 1, 2012 3:29:48 PM

Go to your laptop manufacturers website and search for the download section and specifically your laptop's model number download section. If you told me what kind of laptop you had I could help you find your drivers. Not just the name of the laptop but the model number will be needed as well. Super easy to find as it is usually posted somewhere outside the laptop.
m
l
January 1, 2012 4:36:12 PM

Dell Inspiron m5010
m
l
January 1, 2012 7:10:43 PM

I updated my bios and no change
m
l
January 1, 2012 11:39:24 PM

I take it if you were able to find the updated bios you also found the drivers?
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:18:44 AM

Yes, there were like 40, I installed most. When I plug the mic in the control box still lights up but there is no change whatsoever from the computer, almost as if nothing is plugged in. What could cause that?
m
l
January 2, 2012 3:25:44 AM

grizzlymatt said:
Yes, there were like 40, I installed most. When I plug the mic in the control box still lights up but there is no change whatsoever from the computer, almost as if nothing is plugged in. What could cause that?

40? More like 4

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat...

When you have the headphones plugged in and you right click the volume control and select playback devices do the headphones show up, and when you select recording device does the mic show up?
m
l
January 2, 2012 3:57:45 AM

No, it shows up nowhere on my screen, not in there or the device manager. Plus i looked at all the dell drivers that my "service key" brought up, there were a lot more then just motherboard drivers.
m
l
January 2, 2012 4:11:59 AM

Of course there are more than motherboard drivers, but earlier I said to check for motherboard drivers specifically.
m
l
January 2, 2012 4:15:52 AM

And earlier I said I installed most of the 40, ofc I made sure to include the motherboard drivers you specified ;/. I'm trying my best to fix it and you're my best hope. I'm not going to discard anything you suggest.

EDIT: I'm running windows update after re installing the motherboard drivers you specified, since I tried reformatting to fix this whole thing I've got a million updates. Also ran a Driver updater program I had on my computer. Going to restart once everything is done and give it another shot.
m
l
January 2, 2012 3:45:39 PM

Still nothing ;/, tried plugging it into all 4 usb ports on my machine, none of them even recognized the megalodon. The very first time I plugged it in before reformatting it got recognized and installed, but nothing since. I really don't know what to do, I'm still googling around and hoping someone has a solution.
m
l
January 2, 2012 7:18:08 PM

Anyone else have any ideas/possible solutions?
m
l
March 4, 2013 12:18:58 PM

skaz said:
Make sure your motherboard drivers are up to date. They can usually be obtained from the manufacturer's website.

This piece of advice fixed my whole problem. Thank you so much!
m
l
!