Problems Installing All Zone games

Last response: in Video Games
December 30, 2004 3:41:01 PM

I am having problems with a windows XP system with sp2 installed. Until
recently I have been able to run any of the games just fine, but within the
last week, I have been unable to run any zone.com game anymore.

I have followed all of the tips and solutions provided on this, and many
other web pages including everything on nibblenbits website, but have yet to
find a solution. I am posting here in the hopes someone might have a answer.

The problem is 2 fold as far as I can tell. When I attempt to go download
the zone.com installation, it will fail with a javascript error:
Line: 107
Char: 3
Error: Object Required
Code: 0

I can get that message by clicking on the status bar along the bottom of the
browser. According to many docuements I have read in the past few days, part
of the solution is to unistall and reinstall the zone software. There is no
entry in the add remove section to uninstall the software. I went about a
manual uninstall, by renaming the msn gaming zone folder in safe mode to
another name, and still it will not install. Instead I get a red x in place
of the spade that should appear after installation. (iWindows did recreate a
msn gaming zone folder, but it is empty)

I have reinstalled windows xp, re applied all of the service packs& updates.
I have ran through sfc to ensure there isn't an out of date system file. I
have removed all add ins, reinstalling only flash, and shockwave. There are
no heartbeat or any other ocx's installed. I have removed the read only
attribute to the downloaded files folder in the windows directory as someone
mentioned that solved their problems.

If I skip the installation of the zone software, and go directly to a game
room, it will attempt to download the game, only to stop and say there was an
error, and to click the link again to try downloading again.

I do know that this isn't a problem specific to zone.com. It is specific to
IE. I know this because no automated downloads work. If I goto any website
that has an automated download, it will not work. It will sit, and nothing
happens, I have to click a manual download shortcut to make this work.

I have downloaded and installed the windows scripting update, sun java
update (didn't work with either MS Java, or sun's), re-registered numberous
dll's and ocx's, I have emptied the IE cache, reset the security settings
numerous times. I'm about out of ideals. I am running without a firewall,
have no virus, and no spyware (at least ad-aware, spybot, and spysweeper are
saying none)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ideally I could just roll back the registry to a version from a few weeks
ago, but alas after the reinstall, it removes all previous restore points.
Formatting really isn't an option, the customer has way to many programs, and
not all of the disks to reinstall.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:19:59 AM

Cactuscottle wrote:

> [...]
> that has an automated download, it will not work. It will sit, and nothing
> happens, I have to click a manual download shortcut to make this work.
>
> I have downloaded and installed the windows scripting update, sun java
> update (didn't work with either MS Java, or sun's), re-registered numberous
> dll's and ocx's, I have emptied the IE cache, reset the security settings
> numerous times. I'm about out of ideals. I am running without a firewall,
> have no virus, and no spyware (at least ad-aware, spybot, and spysweeper are
> saying none)
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Ideally I could just roll back the registry to a version from a few weeks
> ago, but alas after the reinstall, it removes all previous restore points.
> Formatting really isn't an option, the customer has way to many programs, and

With XP, you open Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and in the left
column you click Windows Components. You'll find the Zone listed
there. Remove it, open Internet Properties, click General tab,
Settings, View Objects, and remove the two or three Zone components.
Then try reinstalling from the Control Panel, reenter the Zone for a
fresh update.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Cactuscottle wrote:

> [...]
> that has an automated download, it will not work. It will sit, and nothing
> happens, I have to click a manual download shortcut to make this work.
>
> I have downloaded and installed the windows scripting update, sun java
> update (didn't work with either MS Java, or sun's), re-registered numberous
> dll's and ocx's, I have emptied the IE cache, reset the security settings
> numerous times. I'm about out of ideals. I am running without a firewall,
> have no virus, and no spyware (at least ad-aware, spybot, and spysweeper are
> saying none)
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Ideally I could just roll back the registry to a version from a few weeks
> ago, but alas after the reinstall, it removes all previous restore points.
> Formatting really isn't an option, the customer has way to many programs, and

Since you're having trouble with any download, you might see if a
firewall or IE setting is blocking FTP.

My IE version 5.5 has an option under the Advanced tab of Internet
Properties to "Use Passive FTP for compatibility with some firewalls and
DSL modems". That option should be selected.. If that option is still
in IE6, it might have been turned off by a Windows update.

--

+Elmo_Tech
January 5, 2005 1:13:04 PM

"Elmo" wrote:

> [...]
> > numerous times. I'm about out of ideals. I am running without a firewall,
> > have no virus, and no spyware (at least ad-aware, spybot, and spysweeper are
> > saying none)
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
> >
> > Ideally I could just roll back the registry to a version from a few weeks
> > ago, but alas after the reinstall, it removes all previous restore points.
> > Formatting really isn't an option, the customer has way to many programs, and
> > not all of the disks to reinstall.
>
> Since you're having trouble with any download, you might see if a
> firewall or IE setting is blocking FTP.
>
> My IE version 5.5 has an option under the Advanced tab of Internet
> Properties to "Use Passive FTP for compatibility with some firewalls and
> DSL modems". That option should be selected.. If that option is still
> in IE6, it might have been turned off by a Windows update.

Thanks for the replies Elmo, but alas, I have tried all of that. I checked
in the windows components a while ago, and went into details on games, and
removed everything I could find. I also renamed the folder that it
installs(c:\program folders\msn gaming zone). AFAIK its installed w/o an
entry to remove it anywhere.

I am currently running without any firewall, and have avast AV installed.
Bout ready to format the system, but figured i'd try back here one more time
:)

Like I said before, its something wrong itself with IE, no automatic
downloads will work, and its some association with whatever triggers the
automatic downloading. *shrug, atleast thats sure what it feels like*
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:19:09 PM

Cactuscottle wrote:

> [...]
> > DSL modems". That option should be selected.. If that option is still
> > in IE6, it might have been turned off by a Windows update.
> >

> Thanks for the replies Elmo, but alas, I have tried all of that. I checked
> in the windows components a while ago, and went into details on games, and
> removed everything I could find. I also renamed the folder that it
> installs(c:\program folders\msn gaming zone). AFAIK its installed w/o an
> entry to remove it anywhere.
>
> I am currently running without any firewall, and have avast AV installed.
> Bout ready to format the system, but figured i'd try back here one more time
> :)
>
> Like I said before, its something wrong itself with IE, no automatic
> downloads will work, and its some association with whatever triggers the
> automatic downloading. *shrug, atleast thats sure what it feels like*

The NibblesNbits site has this page devoted to download problems:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...

If nothing there helps, you can use Netmeeting to call my ip address
and, if you give me permission to control your desktop, I can look for
possible causes.. If you can't find Netmeeting in System Tools,
Internet Tools, or Communications, you can run CONF from the Run
dialogue. After setup, paste my ip address into the top Call pane.

My ip address is below, but I seldom turn on Netmeeting. I'll turn it
on today in case you try to call.

64.253.101.26

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:31:12 PM

Elmo wrote:

> Cactuscottle wrote:

> > > Since you're having trouble with any download, you might see if a
> > > firewall or IE setting is blocking FTP.
> > >
> > > My IE version 5.5 has an option under the Advanced tab of Internet
> > > Properties to "Use Passive FTP for compatibility with some firewalls and
> > > DSL modems". That option should be selected.. If that option is still
> > > in IE6, it might have been turned off by a Windows update.
> > >

> > Thanks for the replies Elmo, but alas, I have tried all of that. I checked
> > in the windows components a while ago, and went into details on games, and
> > removed everything I could find. I also renamed the folder that it
> > installs(c:\program folders\msn gaming zone). AFAIK its installed w/o an
> > entry to remove it anywhere.
> >
> > I am currently running without any firewall, and have avast AV installed.
> > Bout ready to format the system, but figured i'd try back here one more time
> > :)
> >
> > Like I said before, its something wrong itself with IE, no automatic
> > downloads will work, and its some association with whatever triggers the
> > automatic downloading. *shrug, atleast thats sure what it feels like*
>
> The NibblesNbits site has this page devoted to download problems:
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...
>
> If nothing there helps, you can use Netmeeting to call my ip address
> and, if you give me permission to control your desktop, I can look for
> possible causes.. If you can't find Netmeeting in System Tools,
> Internet Tools, or Communications, you can run CONF from the Run
> dialogue. After setup, paste my ip address into the top Call pane.
>
> My ip address is below, but I seldom turn on Netmeeting. I'll turn it
> on today in case you try to call.
>
> 64.253.101.26

And have you tried the Jscript update?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236846/