strange monitor blackouts?

Neuralstasis

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
I have a strange problem that has come up recently.
the problem is this: Ocassionaly I lose the signal from my graphics card to my monitor for like a single second or two. The monitor goes black and then comes back fine a moment later , somtimes with a few defects on the screen. Defects like, its hard to describe, like a tiny piece of a icon? They go away as soon as I move a window around or somthing so they arent causing a problem.
Each time this happens I get an error in my Event Viewer with these (relevant) outputs:
source: nv
catagory: none
event ID: 1
description: Hash Failure on Channel 00000000 Method 00000000 Data 0202ffff

The outputs is exactly the same each time it appens, which can be several times a day. The source (nv) lends me to think its somthing to do with my vid card (original asus v6600 geforce sgram 32meg). However the only thing that has changed on my computer before this started is that I am now using a OLD, non digital, 15" monitor since my original one just died.
one other note, it never happens when I am playing full screen 3d games.
If anyone has any idea what this is about then post away and it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

here is my system specs for reference:
mobo: asus p2b-d
cpus: dual p3 800mhz
ram: 512meg
vid card: asus v6600 32meg geforce

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
maybe try a different resolution? different refresh rate? those things shouldnt really cause error messages, but its strange you started getting them when you changed the monitor. too much of a coincidence for me.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Neuralstasis

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
dont worry, problem solved.
Problem solved by buying a new 17" hercules LCD monitor..... ca-ching!
returned old monitor to girlfriend's computer where its happy.