Downgrade from Windows 8 to windows 7

jamesgz

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I am getting my laptop in Christmas for gaming. Unfortunately, it has a windows 8 on it which is not compatible for many games. :fou:

How can i downgrade it to windows 7?
Do i just buy a Windows 7 DVD and put it into my laptop and then install? :eek:
Or do i need to do anything else?

Solution

Has noting to do with me liking win 8, it has to do with people saying how windows 8 cant play this or that, and never tested the OS with the games. I've tested this OS for Microsoft and now use it. I know the games work just as good if not better than 7. I really don't care what OS someone uses. I do care how people misrepresent the facts of the OS without ever testing it for themselves...

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

Really? That's weird..Left 4 Dead 2 worked on 8 for me before I realized what a mistake I had made buying 8. Just copy your steamapps folder to an external drive unless you want to download all your games again.

Particularly before upgrading a laptop from Windows8 to Windows7, make sure you have all the necessary drivers. The manufacturer's web site may be able to provide them. You may even be able to obtain recovery media from them, although it will likely include bloatware.

MC_K7

Distinguished
From a legal point of view, you can't downgrade an OEM license. So your only option is to purchase a new Windows 7 license.

Also, check with the manufacturer if the laptop has compatible drivers for Windows 7. Sometimes with new generation of laptops or desktops, manufacturers don't always release drivers for previous Windows generation.

Hi :)

Hes already said he will BUY the 7 dvd...in his first post...

All the best Brett :)

jamesgz

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

So you have fallout 3 and played it on your computer with windows 8 on it?
Can you also play mods on windows 8?

jamesgz

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

What games do you have?
Do you have left 4 dead 2, crossfire, Shogun 2, skilling floor, dead island, skyrim ?

jamesgz

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

So I can just turn the secure boot off and then put in the Windows 7 DVD, and then it will work?

jamesgz

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Is those step called clean install ?

jamesgz

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Should i buy the windows 7 DVD or the product key?

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Before you downgrade, give Windows 8 a try. It took some getting used to but I really like it. It's faster, less glitchy and more compatible in my experience than Windows 7.

I initially tested it on my main work laptop and now have it on all PCs under my control (I have 11 in total). Most recently, I installed it on my main gaming PC and have yet to find a game that doesn't work.