Sign in with
Your question

Downgrade from Windows 8 to windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 21, 2012 5:17:58 PM

I am getting my laptop in Christmas for gaming. Unfortunately, it has a windows 8 on it which is not compatible for many games. :fou: 

How can i downgrade it to windows 7?
Do i just buy a Windows 7 DVD and put it into my laptop and then install? :o 
Or do i need to do anything else?
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 249 D Laptop
December 21, 2012 5:22:36 PM

Hi :) 

Yes....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 5:25:55 PM

games that run in 7, will also run in 8.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2012 5:28:55 PM

daswilhelm said:
games that run in 7, will also run in 8.

really? NO?
fallout 3 will not. crossfire will not. left 4 dead 2 will not......................
m
l
December 21, 2012 5:49:21 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes....

Do i need to turn the SecureBoot off before put dvd in?
m
l
December 21, 2012 6:00:32 PM

jamesgz said:
really? NO?
fallout 3 will not. crossfire will not. left 4 dead 2 will not......................

Really? That's weird..Left 4 Dead 2 worked on 8 for me before I realized what a mistake I had made buying 8. Just copy your steamapps folder to an external drive unless you want to download all your games again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 6:01:29 PM

jamesgz said:
really? NO?

thats funny, just did some googling and found multiple people having no issues running fallout 3 and left 4 dead 2 on windows 8.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2012 6:05:09 PM

Particularly before upgrading a laptop from Windows8 to Windows7, make sure you have all the necessary drivers. The manufacturer's web site may be able to provide them. You may even be able to obtain recovery media from them, although it will likely include bloatware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 249 D Laptop
December 21, 2012 6:05:39 PM

jamesgz said:
bad link :( 

Works for me.... try this >>> distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20121126#qa paste it into your browser...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2012 6:21:35 PM

From a legal point of view, you can't downgrade an OEM license. So your only option is to purchase a new Windows 7 license.

Also, check with the manufacturer if the laptop has compatible drivers for Windows 7. Sometimes with new generation of laptops or desktops, manufacturers don't always release drivers for previous Windows generation.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 249 D Laptop
December 21, 2012 6:30:06 PM

MC_K7 said:
From a legal point of view, you can't downgrade an OEM license. So your only option is to purchase a new Windows 7 license.

Also, check with the manufacturer if the laptop has compatible drivers for Windows 7. Sometimes with new generation of laptops or desktops, manufacturers don't always release drivers for previous Windows generation.

Hes already said he will BUY the 7 dvd...in his first post...

m
l
December 21, 2012 6:36:45 PM

kilo_17 said:
Really? That's weird..Left 4 Dead 2 worked on 8 for me before I realized what a mistake I had made buying 8. Just copy your steamapps folder to an external drive unless you want to download all your games again.

So you have fallout 3 and played it on your computer with windows 8 on it?
Can you also play mods on windows 8?
m
l
December 21, 2012 6:47:13 PM

I'm pretty sure games will work fine on Windows 8.. All mine still work. Only things that don't work are my motherboard drivers.. Very few of them work with Windows 8.
m
l
December 21, 2012 6:59:14 PM

-Jackson said:
I'm pretty sure games will work fine on Windows 8.. All mine still work. Only things that don't work are my motherboard drivers.. Very few of them work with Windows 8.

What games do you have?
Do you have left 4 dead 2, crossfire, Shogun 2, skilling floor, dead island, skyrim ?

m
l
December 21, 2012 7:00:25 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Works for me.... try this >>> distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20121126#qa paste it into your browser...

So I can just turn the secure boot off and then put in the Windows 7 DVD, and then it will work?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 249 D Laptop
December 21, 2012 7:21:08 PM

jamesgz said:
So I can just turn the secure boot off and then put in the Windows 7 DVD, and then it will work?

Yes it should.... just set it to boot from cd as first boot option...

m
l
December 21, 2012 7:26:05 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes it should.... just set it to boot from cd as first boot option...

How?
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:31:54 PM

In the bios when you get to the post screen press the button to go into the bios normally delete and set your boot priority for CD/DVD first.
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:36:55 PM

bigshootr8 said:
In the bios when you get to the post screen press the button to go into the bios normally delete and set your boot priority for CD/DVD first.

Is those step called clean install ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 249 D Laptop
December 21, 2012 7:39:40 PM

jamesgz said:
Is those step called clean install ?

Yes sort of...it will format your drive and delete everything then install 7...

m
l
December 21, 2012 7:42:34 PM

You clean your drive of the filth of windows 8 :p  and yes you format and install 7 +1 to bretts comments.
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:46:12 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes sort of...it will format your drive and delete everything then install 7...

Should i buy the windows 7 DVD or the product key?
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:47:40 PM

Before you downgrade, give Windows 8 a try. It took some getting used to but I really like it. It's faster, less glitchy and more compatible in my experience than Windows 7.

I initially tested it on my main work laptop and now have it on all PCs under my control (I have 11 in total). Most recently, I installed it on my main gaming PC and have yet to find a game that doesn't work.
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:47:50 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You clean your drive of the filth of windows 8 :p  and yes you format and install 7 +1 to bretts comments.

How do i clean my drive?
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:53:16 PM

bwrlane said:
Before you downgrade, give Windows 8 a try. It took some getting used to but I really like it. It's faster, less glitchy and more compatible in my experience than Windows 7.

I initially tested it on my main work laptop and now have it on all PCs under my control (I have 11 in total). Most recently, I installed it on my main gaming PC and have yet to find a game that doesn't work.

What games do you have? Do you have Shogun 2, Left 4 dead 2, killing floor, planetside 2, dead island, crysis 2, borderlands 2, darksider s 2, witches 2 , XCOM: enermy unknown, prototype 2 and fallout NV? :p 
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:54:43 PM

When you use the system disc that comes with the oem of windows or the retail version you will see your drives you can format them within the install disc when you boot with it. and then install the os onto the drive.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 249 D Laptop
December 21, 2012 7:56:42 PM

jamesgz said:
Should i buy the windows 7 DVD or the product key?

Buy the DVD ..its easier to install...

m
l
December 21, 2012 7:58:17 PM

The only other thing I could suggest is that if you already have windows 7 on the computer you are using and you are no longer going to use it you could search the web for the version of windows 7 you have as a image file disc you would need a legal cd key but you could that route as well however I would just get the dvd/oem
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 8:11:53 PM

you dont format a driver. you format your hard drive.
m
l
December 21, 2012 8:14:35 PM

daswilhelm said:
you dont format a driver. you format your hard drive.

yea, i meant that :D 
m
l
December 21, 2012 8:22:16 PM

You can if you want. If you have multiple drives you can format them all and start fresh sure.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 21, 2012 10:51:38 PM

jamesgz said:
really? NO?

that is BS statement, I have screen of all 3 that you say, they all work. All games in windows 8 run way better then 7 this is a fact not fiction.
I just upgraded to sli configuration, 12 gig of ram, 2- gigabyte 560, p55/80 MB and I tell you for a downright fact windows 8 is way faster, graphics are 100 percent clear. there is nobody in this world that can tell me different
I've tested almost all games and they are all working 100 percent/ Now that my system can get the full of windows 8, I'll never go to 7. GO AHEAD AND SWITCH 7, I love 8 it runs all programs with no patches to run in the first month of release not bad.

m
l
December 21, 2012 11:05:54 PM

gomerpile said:
that is BS statement, I have screen of all 3 that you say, they all work. All games in windows 8 run way better then 7 this is a fact not fiction.
I just upgraded to sli configuration, 12 gig of ram, 2- gigabyte 560, p55/80 MB and I tell you for a downright fact windows 8 is way faster, graphics are 100 percent clear. there is nobody in this world that can tell me different
I've tested almost all games and they are all working 100 percent/ Now that my system can get the full of windows 8, I'll never go to 7. GO AHEAD AND SWITCH 7, I love 8 it runs all programs with no patches to run in the first month of release not bad.

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/bf.jpg

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/bf1.jpg

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/bf2.jpg

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/bf2-1.jpg

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/bf2-2.jpg

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/bf11.jpg

The screenshot of the game is not the game i said.

What games did you test? Did you test Shogun 2, Left 4 dead 2, killing floor, planetside 2, dead island, crysis 2, borderlands 2, darksider s 2, witches 2 , XCOM: enermy unknown, prototype 2 and fallout NV?

m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 21, 2012 11:16:25 PM

jamesgz said:
The screenshot of the game is not the game i said.

What games did you test? Did you test Shogun 2, Left 4 dead 2, killing floor, planetside 2, dead island, crysis 2, borderlands 2, darksider s 2, witches 2 , XCOM: enermy unknown, prototype 2 and fallout NV?

fallout 3 will not. crossfire will not. left 4 dead 2, those are the ones you mention, also I posted shogun, left 4 dead, crysis all versions, farcry all versions, battlefield all versions. In other post and more. I fail to see how you tested any. Proof you actually tested them with diagnostic report in windows of the crash. If you cant I know for a fact your BS'en
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 21, 2012 11:22:32 PM

Windows 8 & Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - Works, no problem

I had a bunch of issues getting this game to work on my WIndows 8 x64 CP. So I thought I'd just outline what I did. In the end I applied the AMD fix (Just update bios), run in Windows 7 compatibility and finally only play in DirectX 9 mode. Now it runs happily, no lag no problems.

So you see it takes some knowledge to get stuff to work, I'll teach you a few things if you need.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2012 11:27:49 PM

MC_K7 said:

Depends which version of 8 you have installed, Pro includes downgrade rights for 7 and Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensin...

m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 21, 2012 11:44:37 PM

works

Windows 8 is far more stable then 7 ever was in its first month. I'll never switch to 7. 8 out performed 7
m
l
December 21, 2012 11:49:21 PM

Look if he wants to go to windows 7 for w.e reason he is not losing anything by doing so. Just let him do it. He is having issues having games run on windows 8 and would like to be able to play his games on his computer so moving to windows 7 is a decent way to go considering the incompatibility with just about everything and a more fleshed out OS hes not asking for an opinion.
m
l
December 21, 2012 11:50:39 PM

gomerpile said:
fallout 3 will not. crossfire will not. left 4 dead 2, those are the ones you mention, also I posted shogun, left 4 dead, crysis all versions, farcry all versions, battlefield all versions. In other post and more. I fail to see how you tested any. Proof you actually tested them with diagnostic report in windows of the crash. If you cant I know for a fact your BS'en

I didn't test any games on Windows 8, but i googled them and many people said they dont work....
Did you test all the games I said?

Battlefield 3, Shogun 2, Left 4 dead 2, killing floor, planetside 2, dead island, crysis 2, borderlands 2, darksider s 2, witches 2 , XCOM: enermy unknown, prototype 2 and fallout NV?

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2012 11:51:41 PM

jamesgz said:
I didn't test any games on Windows 8, but i googled them and many people said they dont work....
Did you test all the games I said?

Battlefield 3, Shogun 2, Left 4 dead 2, killing floor, planetside 2, dead island, crysis 2, borderlands 2, darksider s 2, witches 2 , XCOM: enermy unknown, prototype 2 and fallout NV?

Well if you have the games and the OS right in front of you...
m
l
December 21, 2012 11:56:23 PM

mouse24 said:
Well if you have the games and the OS right in front of you...

I dont want to buy all these games if they dont work...
m
l
December 22, 2012 12:12:54 AM

you can move between versions as you please there is no limit to it all.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2012 12:20:10 AM

jamesgz said:
Can i upgrade to windows 8 pro from windows 8, then downgrade it to windows 7 from windows 8 pro for free?

There will be a cost implication going from 8 to 8 Pro so no that wouldn't count as free. If the new laptop comes with 8 standard (or whatever you want to call it) then as others have said, you will have to source a Windows 7 license and install media.

It's a business as usual piss take from Microshaft to its consumer customers not to include downgrade rights on the consumer versions.
m
l
December 22, 2012 12:26:04 AM

bigshootr8 said:
you can move between versions as you please there is no limit to it all.

So, the best way to upgrade to windows 8 pro from windows 8, then downgrade it to windows 7 from windows 8 pro for free?
m
l
!